PDA

View Full Version : On Line Logbooks

trident3A
1st Oct 2008, 11:23
I'm sure this was mentioned before but I did a search in here to no avail. Can anyone reccomend a site or software (free is possible) for backing up my UK pilot's log book, I'm terrified of losing it.

airborne_artist
1st Oct 2008, 12:11
Scan each page, turn the images into a PDF using OpenOffice and then email it to a web-based email account. While you are about it, copy the file to a CD/USB storage device which you keep in the car, and another one in the office.

trident3A
1st Oct 2008, 12:46
That's a good idea, we have a scanner at work. I'll do that.

markp123
1st Oct 2008, 18:02
JAR-PPL (http://www.jar-ppl.com)

Online logbook, also tells you when you last flew, how many landings in preceeding 90 days, when ratings expire etc. pretty handy!:ok:

LH2
1st Oct 2008, 18:26
As above, except shooting pics with your camera is a lot quicker than scanning :ok:

RudeNot2
1st Oct 2008, 21:43
Have started using the one on Facebook.. Pretty good - cobbled together - oh sorry written by one of the guys that frequents the other UK forum!!

Dark Helmet
2nd Oct 2008, 07:56
There is also this one:

freePilotLog.com - Online logbook for pilots (http://www.freepilotlog.com/)

DavidHoul52
2nd Oct 2008, 16:06
also at ukga.com

sevenstar
3rd Oct 2008, 22:22
One of the best IMHO and free too

Pilot's Log - Online logbook for pilots (http://www.pilotslogonline.com/)

Lasiorhinus
4th Oct 2008, 04:47
Put it all in an Excel spreadsheet. Ive got a spreadsheet file ive been building and modifying gradually over about five years, and it keeps track of everything from the basics, to instrument approach recency, and warns you when your medical or security clearance is due for expiry.
Also can give you summaries of hours on type, as well as on specific aircraft.

Its set up with all the columns from Australian logbooks, but I can email you a copy if you're interested, and you'd be able to modify it for your own purposes pretty easily.

PM me if I dont get back soon - Im not always in the Private Flying forum.

Whopity
4th Oct 2008, 08:42
When you've been flying for 40 years looking back through a real logbook has far more meaning than loads of files, chaff and on-line e-files.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Oct 2008, 16:52
Personally I just use a photocopier - each time I fill a page up I put it on the office photocopier and file the page (complete with copies of scribbled notes, crossings out, official stamps, instructors signatures...) in a file which I then keep somewhere different to the logbook (most of us have a home and place of work which does that easily enough).

Nowadays a scanner or digital camera should do the same thing of course, but they didn't really exist when I started flying! (Eek, showing my age).

G

Robin400
4th Oct 2008, 17:09
As I approach retirement just sorting out all my hand written log books to pass on to my grandchildren. Tamper proof and much better than a computer printout.

Silent Witness
7th Oct 2008, 10:19
I use Safelog, also has an online backup facility but you pay for it!