PDA

View Full Version : Single runway pilot incap.

mona lot
30th Sep 2008, 21:00
Apologies if this has already been covered, I tried a search.

Many large aircraft have steering tillers only fitted on the LHS and although it is possible for the FO to taxi using the rudder pedals it is not recommended and against most companies SOP. In reality what would most ATCOs expect an aircraft to do that has landed following incapacitation of the Captain. I am thinking of busy regional airports with a single runway. Would you expect the aircraft to stop on the end of the runway or attempt to vacate? There are many variables, day VMC/CAT III etc. What about the aircraft on approach that is below CMR?

Thanks in advance for any sensible answers.

Spitoon
30th Sep 2008, 21:09
Big aeroplane with P1 incap is going to be a full emergency. I'd expect it to stop on the runway and get surrounded by fire engines. If the P1 is going to be ambulanced away immediately I would expect steps to be taken to aircraft and paramedics to take P1 away before getting the waiting tug to tow the offending beast off the runway and to some suitable place to deplane the pax.

Having said that, I know a few Ops people who may get a bit ancy about it stopping on the runway for a while but in my view that's just one of the things an airport has to put up with from time to time.

criss
1st Oct 2008, 09:46
Ditto.

Didn't it in fact happen at a British airport with a 757 and Cpt. dying in flight?

Dizzee Rascal
1st Oct 2008, 10:00
Reminds me of the BAC 1-11 incident at Southampton where the P1 got half sucked out of a blown window.

YouTube - Air Crash Investigation:Ripped from the Cockpit Part 3 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cN2xMMR2F_I)

airac
1st Oct 2008, 18:02
Thanks to that we all got TRUCED:{