PDA

View Full Version : Is it me...

bigfoot01
30th Sep 2008, 20:55
...or is it getting a bit weird round here?

By the way, did some private flying this weekend, went to Weston in Dublin. Gosh what a great bunch of people from Dublin Radar, all the way through to the people that looked after us at the airfield.

And the best pint of Guiness was to be found in the bar at the airfield...:ok: I know this through extensive later sampling...

Pace
30th Sep 2008, 21:55
BigFoot

Been to Weston Loads of times and what a lovely place! presume you got there via the chimney and following the river with the city below?

Great bunch of people and equally weird there too. The runway was built without planning permission as was a lot of it.

Can just imagine what would have happened in the UK? with the planners. But that is the attraction of the irish :)

Pace

bigfoot01
1st Oct 2008, 05:59
Yeah! Skimming over Dublin at 1500' with Dublin Radar bantering at me, somehow I can't see the same thing happening over London...

...If the engine went, from time to time I have to say the Liffey looked the most likely spot!

IFollowRailways
1st Oct 2008, 09:26
On my last visit to Ireland I was flying a Rallye and my first call to Dublin Radar was from the middle of the Irish Sea.

Their immediate response - "What's a little feller like you doing all the way out there?"

I laughed all the rest of the way there :D

youngskywalker
1st Oct 2008, 10:18
Flew the VOR approaches down to MDA in a King Air there many times, nice airfield, friendly staff, good food too. The VOR approach requires some care mind you, it's pretty close to the final approach for Dublin and they get pretty twitchy if you dont nail the right radial all the way down, rightly so too. Apparantly thats the airfield where they filmed 'The Blue Max'.

mccourtm
1st Oct 2008, 13:28
Blue Max was actually filmed in Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, which is an Air Corps base a few miles away on the otherside of the railway line that runs close to Weston.

dublinpilot
1st Oct 2008, 14:32
I'm not sure your correct there Mccourtm,

I've certainly seen many claims over the years that the Blue Max was filmed at Weston.

pm210668
7th Oct 2008, 13:51
This link from IMDB confirms Weston as a Blue Max location.

Titles with locations including<br>Weston Aerodrome, Leixlip, County Kildare, Ireland (http://www.imdb.com/List?endings=on&&locations=Weston%20Aerodrome,%20Leixlip,%20County%20Kildare, %20Ireland&&heading=18;with+locations+including;Weston%20Aerodrome,%20Le ixlip,%20County%20Kildare,%20Ireland)