PDA

View Full Version : MEP PA-44 hire in the States

coodem
30th Sep 2008, 18:48
I need to do 30 hours multi P1, and would like to do it in a PA-44 with steam instruments. I have already got lots of time in a G1000.

I am not really fussed where in the States I go. I am how ever after a saftey pilot (IR qualified instructor to make the most of my hour building) No official training is required)

After my hour building, I would like to do my FAA Multi CPL/IR, I already have a JAR Multi CPL/IR. I will shortly be taking my FAA theory.

Can anyone recomend any decent schools, I plan to go in the next few months, so I would ideally like somewhere with good weather. (as long as its flyable I am happy) AC availability is also an important thing, as I only have 2 weeks to get it all done.

Fright Level
1st Oct 2008, 06:14
Pelican at North Perry (nr Fort Lauderdale, Florida) have one. School is run by ex Laker captain Terry Fensome. They'll do a block deal on hours for you and the CB's should have calmed down in FL now ;-)

S-Works
1st Oct 2008, 07:22
I would second Pelican.

Meg and Terry have looked after me for many years. the PA44 they have is in quite nice shape. But beware it is heavily utilised for training so getting a block booking might be more difficult.

In fact at the moment the entire fleet is stacked out but Meg was telling me they have 5 new aircraft on the way in.

malc4d
1st Oct 2008, 14:45
Are you already holding a FAA ppl multi or single with/without an I/R ?.....
If not l think you will need a FAA 'piggyback' license.

Also to do the CPL/IR i think you will need a visa..............some say you must, others say not.

coodem
1st Oct 2008, 16:11
I already have a piggg back FAA licence on the back of my PPL. There seems to be a lot of confusion over weather I need a VISA or not, I know I will need TSA clearance which is easy enough, but if I need a VISA for the test I will just do the hour building in the States and come back and do the CPL and IR in the UK, as we have an FAA examiner here, its gonna cost a little more, but at least I am more familiar with my local area

Fuji Abound
1st Oct 2008, 16:43
Do you need to do it in the States. I fly a nice Duchess in the UK. Its more costly but probably not a lot in it after you take out the other costs. Just a thought.

coodem
1st Oct 2008, 17:18
I don't need to do it in the States. I just want to do it as quick as possible. (Time is money) Once I have my hours I should be ready for the FAA CPL/IR, I then plan to do upgrade my JAR FI, to allow me to do IR and MEP.

I understand I will need to do another 5 hours training for each and then do a test.

I don't really know what I should do. I really enjoy instructing, but the pay is crap. I was hoping things would be better if I could teach ME/IR. But the school I am with seem to have enough ME/IR instructors. So no chance of them subsidising me.

Most will say I should just move to another school, problem is I really get on with the people I work with