PDA

View Full Version : Level busts

veloo maniam
30th Sep 2008, 03:19
Hello Aviators..with your TCAS on why do we still have level busts?
Is it fatigue? cheers:ok:

ron83
30th Sep 2008, 05:22
TCAS used for collision avoidance not for the prevention of level busts

veloo maniam
30th Sep 2008, 10:03
Agreed Ron....descending from F360 to F320 initially.Tfc for further descent
is xxx at F300. Still acft goes thru F316 b4 climbing back to F320.Tfc is right below.Doesnt the TCAS show the TFC below?cheers:ok:

Dont Hang Up
30th Sep 2008, 12:21
....descending from F360 to F320 initially.Tfc for further descent
is xxx at F300. Still acft goes thru F316 b4 climbing back to F320.Tfc is right below.Doesnt the TCAS show the TFC below?

You kind of answer your own question with that description.

Level busts happen. Either TCAS or an alert ATCO shouts, and the situation is (hopefully) recovered safely.

What does not happen is for flight crew to manage level change against the TCAS display. TCAS is a safety net. It is not a navigation aid, and use as such is strongly discouraged.

ron83
30th Sep 2008, 14:04
as above said,TCAS safety net,not used for navigational purpouses,your question was why level busts still happen,than you give example of a potential RA.I can give you another example, there is no other traffic, ATCO clears a/c abc to FL 320, abc goes through 316,how on earth TCAS gonna prevent level bust??? TCAS- used as a last resort to prevent collision...

veloo maniam
1st Oct 2008, 02:57
AirNoServicesAustralia...tq for ur replies.sounds more educational.:ok:

eastern wiseguy
1st Oct 2008, 14:24
Veloo......have a look here

EUROCONTROL - Level Bust (http://www.eurocontrol.be/safety/public/standard_page/Level_bust.html)

Mister Geezer
1st Oct 2008, 15:11
Just a small point but if ATC advise crew of traffic information, then the response of 'We have it on TCAS' is not to be used according to guff from Eurocontrol that was published a while back. To be quite honest saying that is just as useful as saying that the Pope is indeed a Catholic and just eats up time on the frequency.

veloo maniam
4th Oct 2008, 11:14
Eastern wiseguy..thnxs for the great website.:ok:

anotherthing
4th Oct 2008, 12:44
ANSA - I have to disagree with you, and agree with Mr G!!

The amount of times a pilot in the LTMA has told me he/she has traffic I have called on TCAs, but actually mis-idented it is too huge a number to count.

I am calling traffic, I don't care if the pilot has it on TCAS - a simple 'Roger' will suffice... Similarly, the amount of pilots who say "Approaching FL... looking for further" then respond with "we have that on TCAS" when I tell them about traffic a mile away, 1000' above their cleared level is very annoying.

TCAS is not an air traffic tool, it is a safety/separation tool. It can be useful in assisting pilots with some situational awareness, as long as the pilots understand it's limitations - especially in Azimuth.

There is a brilliant example in the NERC training department of a pilot trying to second guess ATC by using TCAS in the azimuth and adjusting heading slightly to miss an aircraft as he thought ATC were cutting it fine.

What he actually did was erode an estimated 15 miles separation into less than 5... resulting in causing huge confusion to the ATCO (an also a temporary suspension of their license until the incident was investigated) :ugh:

Spitoon
4th Oct 2008, 17:32
TCAS is not an air traffic tool, it is a safety/separation tool.Agree completely that it's not an air traffic tool. It is what is usually referred to as a safety net - that is, something that saves the day when all of the normal systems have failed for some reason. Consequently I find it hard to describe it as a separation tool....because that's what ATC is. I suggest that it is better described as a collision avoidance tool.

anotherthing
5th Oct 2008, 09:51
Spitoon,

a bad choice of words on my part - by saying 'separation tool' I meant as a last ditch safety measure!

veloo maniam
7th Oct 2008, 04:19
A week ago crew of A320 reported traffic on TCAS reciprocal 25NM.
At the moment the A320 was passing F325 for F360.
Traffic was a chopper at 2000ft. indeed reciprocal.
Can someone throw some light on how the TCAS picked up
this low level traffic?:ugh:

fotheringay
7th Oct 2008, 10:01
A week ago crew of A320 reported traffic on TCAS reciprocal 25NM.
At the moment the A320 was passing F325 for F360.
Traffic was a chopper at 2000ft. indeed reciprocal.
Can someone throw some light on how the TCAS picked up
this low level traffic?:ugh:Possibly the aircraft was receiving a TA only as the low flying aircraft was squawking with no Mode C.

Radarspod
7th Oct 2008, 12:24
Or the chopper was offering a duff Mode C value that looked like a potential conflict - but scenario in last more likely.