PDA

View Full Version : Airfield NEXT TO Wethersfield?

Leigh Caudwell
28th Sep 2008, 13:05
I have been working at the old US base at Wethersfield in Essex for about a year but cannot get permission to fly a flexwing microlight from there (its MOD owned).

I have often seen a small aircraft, possibly a minimax climbing out from the east of the airfield and last week saw a biplane, as these sightings are always before 7am and the aircraft are still climbing I figured there must a strip close by, having looked at Google Earth I can see what looks like a grass strip just to the East. I cannot see any reference to it on t'net and wondered if anyone had any info on it, would be nice to be able to use to 'pop in' to the office one day.

Thanks in advance.

Leigh.

jxc
28th Sep 2008, 15:14
andrewsfield ?

SkyHawk-N
28th Sep 2008, 16:30
Is this it? Looks like a strip to me but no hangar.

wethersfield - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wethersfield&sll=51.929025,0.471039&sspn=0.493694,1.054688&ie=UTF8&ll=51.968239,0.521947&spn=0.003854,0.012317&t=h&z=17)

Leigh Caudwell
28th Sep 2008, 16:30
Thankx for that jcx, I don't think this one is Andrewsfield (though that is not a million miles away) the one I can see on Google Earth looks to be just a small strip.

This hopefully will link to the multimap image of the area, I am referring to what looks like a single runway to the right of the large airfield.

Maps of the world, street map search - powered by Multimap (http://tinyurl.com/3wm484)

Leigh Caudwell
28th Sep 2008, 16:34
Hi Skyhawk-N, thats the one (as shown in my post with the multimap link for reference against Wethersfield runways), Its in exactly the right position to have been the departure point for the aircraft I have seen climbing out. I too saw the google earth pic and thought..bl**dy hell, thats a runway.

Cheers

SkyHawk-N
28th Sep 2008, 16:46
It's probably worth popping into the farm just to the south west to inquire. Can't hurt unless they own shotguns! :ok:

Leigh Caudwell
28th Sep 2008, 16:48
If all else fails I'll drive over, only seems to be a few hundred yards beyond the fence.

Leigh.

NJTCF
28th Sep 2008, 17:06
Think the Farm the Strip is on is Called Whitehall Farm.

Cheers njtcf.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
29th Sep 2008, 10:39
Hi Leigh,

I landed there back in about 1990 in an L4 Cub, but can't remember the owners name.. I'll dig out my old 'black book' and see if I can find him, and will PM you if I can.

CD

Leigh Caudwell
29th Sep 2008, 11:22
Thanks CD, I am much obliged.

Leigh.

Lister Noble
29th Sep 2008, 11:32
A friend of mine farms all round there and told me that there is a local strip I could use with the L4.
I've not been down but will give him a call soon,he will be very busy drilling etc so it might take a few days.
Lister

Leigh Caudwell
29th Sep 2008, 16:42
To all who have helped and advised so far, many thanks.

Leigh

The Flying Pram
29th Sep 2008, 20:22
I'm just wondering why you can't land at Wethersfield. I've been into MOD sites (Coningsby & Coltishall) before, the only special requirement being insurance. Either Crown Indemnity if your insurer will arrange it, or a one off daily waiver which was about £8 IIRC. Admittedly this was a few years ago so if the current security situation has changed things then I apologise. I notice that the 614 VGS Gliding School are based there, have you spoken to them?

Regards.

Cusco
29th Sep 2008, 22:07
I don't think the MOD are very keen on Flexwing microlights: that may be the problem.

Cusco

Leigh Caudwell
30th Sep 2008, 05:52
A direct approach to the person who can give permission with copies of all licences and docs was made but was refused due to perceived safety/security etc etc, no point arguing there.

trevs99uk
30th Sep 2008, 23:53
There is 2 airstrips there...
The farmer has the one in the earliuer link.
The over is more North South the other side of the road as is used by his son who has a Minimax G-BXSU.

The farmer is a Mr Overall and he has a Renegade G-MYUF

Leigh Caudwell
1st Oct 2008, 07:36
Thanks, Thats fits with what I've seen. Will try to make contact .

'Chuffer' Dandridge
1st Oct 2008, 11:57
Trevs has beaten me to it............

As to using Wethersfield, I am led to believe that certain 'activities' take place there that the 'authorities' may not wish Joe Public to be aware of or involved in. Hence the reluctance to allow flights in/out of. Its their train set, so they make the rules :-)