PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Portugal

PompeyPaul
25th Sep 2008, 07:29
Has anybody done this ? Specifically looking for a flying club around Guimarães. I suspect closest will be Porto ? What's the story on flying there with a UK issued JAR ticket ?

stiknruda
25th Sep 2008, 10:15
Flew self and SWMBO around the Algarve in a rented C172 from Portimao Christmas 06.

Absolutely standard, keep the sea on the left and you are going west or north.

Stik

172driver
25th Sep 2008, 10:36
Great flying, excellent ATC (in perfect English). Very enjoyable :ok:

Bearcat
27th Sep 2008, 11:25
Absolutely standard, keep the sea on the left and you are going west or north.

Stik

yikes remind me to avoid flying with you!!!!:eek:

LH2
27th Sep 2008, 17:37
remind me to avoid flying with you!!

Ein? :confused: There is little question that if flying in continental Portugal and keeping the sea on your left, you're either going North (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Portugal&ie=UTF8&z=6), or, if in the southern part of the country, possibly East (but not West unless you're also flying upside down, which most people find a tad uncomfortable).

Anyway Bearcat, where should I send some spare batteries for your GPS? :}

LH2
27th Sep 2008, 17:40
or, if in the southern part of the country, possibly East (but not West

Ok, forget about the spare batteries. I'm going to need them myself :uhoh:

stiknruda
29th Sep 2008, 11:25
Portugal sits in the bottom left hand corner of continental Europe. It has a south coast and a west coast.

If you are flying along the south coast and the sea is on your left you are proceeding westwards. If you are flying north along the coast then the sea will be on your left.

Bearcat/LH2 - go look at a map!

Mark 1
29th Sep 2008, 11:58
Porto isn't a suitable GA field - handling about 400 euros, and no club/hire operations as far as I'm aware.
There is a GA field to the south of Porto which may be more suitable.
The Algarve area has more opportunities. There's even a Chippy available at Portimao, G- reg.d I believe.

Private flying is a bit sparse in Portugal, so you may need to search around.

PompeyPaul
29th Sep 2008, 12:19
Porto isn't a suitable GA field - handling about 400 euros, and no club/hire operations as far as I'm aware.
There is a GA field to the south of Porto which may be more suitable.
The Algarve area has more opportunities. There's even a Chippy available at Portimao, G- reg.d I believe.

Private flying is a bit sparse in Portugal, so you may need to search around.
Thanks, this is what I'm starting to find. Perhaps I am just going to bite the bullet and hire a car instead. Given I'm right oop norf of Portgual, I'll probably head to Spain. Shame I'm a shameless airfield log book collector.

LH2
29th Sep 2008, 19:06
Shame you're up north, otherwise I know Fly-in-Spain from Jerez could have given you advice on flying in Portugal. I'm afraid I don't know of any hire places in that area, but a query on the Spanish forum might give some leads.

Bearcat/LH2 - go look at a map!

I did, that's the worrying bit :uhoh:

nanocas
1st Oct 2008, 00:52
Hi! there are many fields in the northern region of Portugal , just next to porto airport you have Maia, Vilar de Luz (LPVL). Great place with a huge school..etc... great Snack-bar etc...:ok:, Other great places for renting are: Viseu and Vila Real!

You can go to this page, Aerodromos em Portugal (http://www.pelicano.com.pt/zmapa.html) wich is a map of portugal with all the airports, aerodromes and clic on any one of those fields, then it shows you ll the info on the field as well as an aerial photo of the rwy.
Have fun, it's great to fly in Portugal!:}

PompeyPaul
2nd Oct 2008, 12:54
Thanks for the response, that map looks great. Unfortunately I am here in Portugal now, am watching a football match tonight and go home tomorrow >_< Gutted that there was somewhere so close too.

At least I know for next time!