PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this dangerous?

ali1986
23rd Sep 2008, 23:49
sorry if its been posted before but it just looks dangerous to me

Biplane Buzzes Control TowerVideo (http://www.break.com/index/biplane-buzzes-control-tower.html)

Ali

broadreach
24th Sep 2008, 00:16
Biplane missing a wing is pretty dangerous. Wonder what ATC people think of Extras buzzing around and people shrieking in the background while they're trying to direct other aircraft....

ali1986
24th Sep 2008, 00:17
yeh i thought that, just read that it got him kicked out the red bull air races.

ali1986
24th Sep 2008, 01:25
how come this was moved its news isn't it?

Pilot DAR
24th Sep 2008, 01:27
Yeah, I knew when I watched that, I'd be watching flying undertaken after one poorly disciplined pilot said to some other impressionable person "watch this". That is probably just about the most dangerous phrase in aviation.

Any questions?

L337
24th Sep 2008, 01:53
To my eye it looks like a nice piece of flying. Well under control, and demonstrating some excellent skills.

The only error was to get himself recorded so that some average jobsworth can pass judgment about him on sites like this.

Pace
24th Sep 2008, 06:12
>sorry if its been posted before but it just looks dangerous to me<

It has the "potential" to be dangerous but no more than normal manouvers in any Redbull airrace.

Only difference is that he is using the control tower in a simular way to a cone allowing a bigger margin than with the cone.

Should the worst happen he has the "potential" to take out not only himself but others.

But then I reckon all those Red Bull air racers must be nuts :)

I am always amazed seeing forest car rallying how the cars fly through forests sideways with groups of the public standing inches away so the danger potential cannot be worse than that.

ATC seemed to love it with comments like " hes the best". They condoned it which was a little surprising and did not ask him to stop. By doing so they appear to accept that risk.

You do not use a poodle as a ferocious guard dog! you use a trained alsation and it has to be the nature of those Red Bull Air Racers to be that way ;) He will probably get the book thrown at him but then again we do need colourful characters in our monotone life :)

So offically " disgusted" secretely a wry smile and "good on you" ;)

Pace

bArt2
24th Sep 2008, 06:56
while they're trying to direct other aircraft

I did not hear any communication in the back, only his landing clearance at the end. I'm sure they don't allow this if there would be traffic.

I would have liked to be present in the tower as well. :E

effortless
24th Sep 2008, 08:32
So no crowd line rules over there then?

TALLOWAY
24th Sep 2008, 14:20
how come this was moved its news isn't it?

Flybys have been carried out since Pontious was a pilot, so it's not news.

Also read the Forum description ...

Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

A flyby affects the lives or jobs of professional pilots .. err, no.

Maybe of interest to professional pilots ? PPRuNe obviously doesn't agree in this case.

The post is in the best place for it ... it's either here or JetBlast :} Or maybe even Spectators Balcony, where people get excited and worried about the most normal of manouevres such as go arounds or flying through turbulence.

The pilot in this video was doing nothing wrong and is aware of the risks. He's a well qualified and experienced display pilot and used to knowing the margins. Get over it :ok:

Mike Cross
24th Sep 2008, 16:39
Funny looking Biplane.......

Would be illegal in the UK (rule 5 and all that)
Would you believe they actually allow Jumbo Jets full of people to land at a big bit of concrete next to the M25. That's got to be dangerous!:rolleyes:

Lister Noble
24th Sep 2008, 16:59
Lets design a road transport system.
We'll have these vehicles (cars) on 4 wheels travelling in opposite directions about 4 feet apart on country roads.
The only seperation sign is a painted white line ( if you're fortunate)
So we will have these cars driven by people who may have passed their test 40/50 years ago with no follow up checks approaching each other at 120 mph 4 feet aprt,or less,around bends.

Great ain't it?

Lister:}

Barcli
24th Sep 2008, 17:28
Ali - you sound dangerous to me ;)

rauxaman
24th Sep 2008, 19:51
The controllers seemed to enjoy it... and I am sure the pilot certainly did!

My criticism would be that the pilot carried out the maneouvre a few too many times... the first time was successful therefore the pilot's psyche was rewarded for getting away with taking the risk. The next time the pilot took the risk, the risk taking seemed so much more easier... and so on... until the risk taken becomes beyond the pilot's ability.

One spectacular fly-by is probably ok but the second then third and so on is building up the risk of an accident.

Pace
24th Sep 2008, 20:05
Rauxaman

I must admit I thought he was overdoing it in keeping coming at them so many times. The first you thought woaaa but then it seemed a bit obseessive

Pace

rauxaman
24th Sep 2008, 20:15
We are all guilty of pushing our luck from time to time whether riding bikes as kids or wallpapering the stairs but the trick is to know when you are stretching that thar envelope a little too much and often.

I have a permanent (but minor) limp... I suppose I have learned the hard way... although not in an aeroplane!

Tone
25th Sep 2008, 07:14
Don't you chaps smell a little ratlett here? Someone just happened to be in the tower with a camera, pointing it aimlessly out of the window, at exactly the same time as Biggles beat them up. Sheeer coincidence of course.
Tone