PDA

View Full Version : Prune Awards For Poor Journalism

DeeCee
23rd Sep 2008, 08:53
How about we create an award (or series) for the worst articles published in the name of rubbish Journalism on the subject of flying.

This would apply to all Pilots on Prune, so we could all have a go. Maybe we would need an entirely new catagory? Mods?

Extra points could be awarded for; poor research, oft repeated words and phrases etc. We might also consider 'Prune Annoyance Factor' for the overall effect created by the inaccuracies in the article.

The serious part of this is that poor journalism creates panic amongst the Public, who then think that an aeroplane CAN 'plummet 20,000 feet' in seconds or whatever (fill in your own here).

Come on, we can strike back!

Fright Level
23rd Sep 2008, 09:01
Shouldn't that be spelled PPRuNe :D

How about the most misspelled word here? My vote is on Stanstead.

DeeCee
23rd Sep 2008, 09:33
Well spotted.

Final 3 Greens
23rd Sep 2008, 09:58
How about the most misspelled word here?

Loose (as in I might loose an engine)

vanHorck
23rd Sep 2008, 11:25
if it's loose, you lose it anyway....

gpn01
23rd Sep 2008, 12:16
I vote for anything reported as a near miss. After all, if they nearly missed....

Pilot DAR
23rd Sep 2008, 12:30
When the investigators desprately search for the "black boxes" following a crash, do they overlook the bright orange ones clearly labled "flight data recorder" and "cockpit voice recorder"?

christimson
23rd Sep 2008, 13:09
Stand on the breaks :ugh:

Squeegee Longtail
23rd Sep 2008, 13:18
Surely 'poor' journalism is the sensationalist type, which sells newspapers/tv news. Therefore it must be 'good' journalism (from a commercial perspective). The poor journalism therefore must really be the good journalism which is informative, well written and factual, which of course doesn't sell well in today's dumbed down society.

Which are you talking about? ;)

DeeCee
23rd Sep 2008, 13:39
I think we all know which type of journalism we are talking about. Poor journalism is poor journalism i.e. lazy, badly researched, and sensationalist for the sake of it.

Squeegee Longtail
23rd Sep 2008, 13:47
"I think we all know which type of journalism we are talking about. Poor journalism is poor journalism i.e. lazy, badly researched, and sensationalist for the sake of it."

...yeah, which is low cost & commercially successful to the masses. Journos and their masters are there to MAKE MONEY. You highbrow types are a dying breed! ;)

bjornhall
23rd Sep 2008, 16:14
Surely 'poor' journalism is the sensationalist type, which sells newspapers/tv news. Therefore it must be 'good' journalism (from a commercial perspective). The poor journalism therefore must really be the good journalism which is informative, well written and factual, which of course doesn't sell well in today's dumbed down society.

Is poor journalism written by rich journalists, then? Or is that the other way around? :confused:

Maybe for avoidance of doubt we had better have a PPruNe rich journalism award instead. As in "That's pretty rich!" ...

Farmer 1
23rd Sep 2008, 16:21
How about the most misspelled word here? My vote is on Stanstead.

Actually, that's the correct way of spelling Stanstead.

I vote for Hanger. Or should that be Hangar?

bjornhall
23rd Sep 2008, 16:29
I vote for Hanger

Actually, that's the correct way of spelling... :oh:

hat, coat, door ...

Final 3 Greens
23rd Sep 2008, 18:28

No, it's Stansted, as in Stansted Mountfichet, the local town.

Stanstead Abbotts is correct, but that is near Ware, nowhere near the airport

Sir George Cayley
23rd Sep 2008, 18:52
Ware?:confused:

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

And the award for the most wrongly used word in journo speak is.....

"Runway"

As in 'dozens of a/c parked on the runway':ugh::ugh:

Plummet

School

Wrestle

Hero

the list is endless:ok:

Sir George Cayley

Alogan
23rd Sep 2008, 21:27
Like Douglas Bader, I find people (particularly journalists) using the world "plane" to describe what is actually an "aeroplane" very annoying. I don't mind it too much in normal conversation when the full word has already been used but it p*sses me off no end when I hear it on the news or read it in print.

Captain Smithy
24th Sep 2008, 12:46
Is there such a thing nowadays as "good journalism"? :confused:

Most aviation-related stories seem to be of the "Passengers cack their breeks in sheer terror as holiday jet dives 20000 feet in horrific gusset-filling blood-curdling terror dive towards primary school" type nowadays. Even minor events such as go-arounds seem to spawn stories full of people praying, having near-death experiences and mums "screaming in terror". Most of it I find quite amusing really.

Political reporting is worse. :rolleyes:

Smithy

Farmer 1
25th Sep 2008, 10:25
Quote:

No, it's Stansted, as in Stansted Mountfichet, the local town.

Stanstead Abbotts is correct, but that is near Ware, nowhere near the airport

I say again: Actually, that's the correct way of spelling Stanstead.

That's how you spell Stanstead. There can only be one way of spelling Stanstead.

However, if it's Stansted you mean, then that's different.

cliffnemo
25th Sep 2008, 10:56
I claim the award. My blog must contain the most inaccuracies ever. I don't care any more.
CLIFFNEMO.