PDA

View Full Version : FAA certificate in UK

Squeegee Longtail
23rd Sep 2008, 08:44
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I can't find it.

I am not getting definitive answers from either the FAA or CAA on this:

A colleague is currently obtaining an FAA Certificate (PPL) with the view to adding IR.
Would he be allowed to fly VFR in a G-Reg aircraft when he visits UK? If so, would he be able to "go foreign" (ie Europe) in it?

Also, what is the latest regarding proposed changes to N-reg aircraft being kept in Europe?

IO540
23rd Sep 2008, 10:05
You can fly a G-reg on any ICAO PPL, VFR, worldwide. Reference ANO article 26.

You can fly a G-reg on any ICAO (non JAA) IR, under IFR, but only outside controlled airspace (a virtually useless privilege, esp. outside the UK). Ref as above.

There are no current proposals on long term N-reg parking ban, though an EASA "ops" document is due about now which might have something in it. Has anybody seen this yet?

The most damaging current proposal is this (http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc/NPA/NPA%202008-17b.pdf)one - see pages 159-161. This effectively kills all foreign license privileges for EU residents, in EU airspace. IMHO this is an impossible and ludicrous proposal and only time will tell where it will go.

Squeegee Longtail
23rd Sep 2008, 10:25
Thanks IO-540, that proposal was what I had heard mention of.
What would be the ramifications of that? Apart from it not being welcome, why is it ludicrous? How likely is it to go through?

IO540
23rd Sep 2008, 10:44
Go to any significant European airport and look at all the non-EU-reg jets.

All will be either kicked out of the EU, or their (paid commercial) crews will be fired by the owner and replaced with non EU resident pilots.

Now tell me how far that one will run :)

Pace
23rd Sep 2008, 11:16

Dont really want to get into this one again ;) This is all about justifying beaurocratics work and jobs, protectionism and politics, nothing else.

It most certainly has nothing at all to do with safety as especially with FAA ATP holders who fly through European airspace in both business jets and large commercial jets there is absolutely no difference in the accident statistics between the two JAA and FAA.

JAA will claim that their training is better, harder or whatever but the end result doesn not stand up to scrutiny.

There was some mention of a 28 day rule. IE an FAA ATP is safe to fly European airways for 28 days but on the 29th day is a danger to all ;)

We should all have one standard worldwide in aircraft certication, medicals and pilot licencing instead of all this rubbish churned out.

All this drivel adds up to is uneeded jobs in beaurocracy having to be paid for and massive uneeded costs being added to an already crippled industry.

Pace

Squeegee Longtail
23rd Sep 2008, 11:27
... I don't think anyone would argue that a large percentage of ALL todays legislation in any arena is what you are describing (ie bu11sh1t under the banner of "safety") but I am interested in the likely outcome of the current proposals.

IO-540, thanks for the pm.

Pace
23rd Sep 2008, 11:58
This probably goes deeper into an ever increasing big brother state.

With Lord Carlisles ill thought up proposals a couple of months ago, attempted further restrictions on the use of GA in the name of security and more and more legislation on licencing it is apparent that government and regultors do not like the idea and freedom from control that flight allows.

Couple that with the perception of rich boys with their toys and we all have to fear for our liberty FAA and JAA. PPLs to ATPs

Pace