PDA

View Full Version : Leuchars and Kingsmu

Fuji Abound
23rd Sep 2008, 08:25
I know I can call or look in the guide (when it is to hand) but anyone have any knowledge of using these airports please. I have full security clearance and waiver from SC.

Crash one
23rd Sep 2008, 09:20
I'm based at Kingsmuir. No problems landing there but no facilities at all.
620m grass 24 / 06 slight downslope at 06 threshold. Try not to land on the aeromodelers bit 06.
Phone Dave Smith PPR mobile 07780936850. He is busy with his barley crop right now, nearest Mogas at Anstruther ~4 miles.
Leuchars Millitary, very friendly on RT I've never landed there, I think you require £2m insurance, I may be wrong. Leuchars ATC switchboard 0133438722.
Fife EGPJ is ~20miles due west. Licenced restuarant 100LL £10 landing,
The sun is shining today also which is a bonus!!
Good luck
Trevor.

Fuji Abound
23rd Sep 2008, 09:48
Crash One

Thank you.

Kingsmuir sounds grand but a bit short for the aircraft.

I will give Leuchars a try - thanks for the numbers.

Dundee is porbably next best for St Andrews - I have been to Dundee before.

Please can you keep the sun shining. ;)

Fuji Abound
23rd Sep 2008, 12:30
Well in case you are interested Leuchars accept private flights and seem very helpful.

They are not normally open at weekends however, and 7 days notice of intended flights has to be given (although Brise always tell me the same, but actually can be persuaded to accept shorter notice).

Crash one
23rd Sep 2008, 13:26
Thanks, That is certainly nice to know, I've never had cause to ask. Closest I got to asking was a few weeks ago on the way back to Kingsmuir with a thunderstorm in the way, Leuchars was starting to get a bit claggy as well so I went back to Fife instead.

dont overfil
23rd Sep 2008, 16:05
Railway station is walking distance from Leuchars.
Remember to land beyond the arrester cables!
DO.

Fuji Abound
23rd Sep 2008, 16:33
Dont overfil

Are you from that neck of the woods?

Slopey
23rd Sep 2008, 17:29
It is walking distance from the Railway Station, but if you want to go to St Andrews (as it seems from previous posts), you can't do it by train.

You can get a bus from the station however, and a taxi is about £20 from Leuchars to St A's.

I've never flown into it (but will do eventually), but my Mother-In-Law lives just off base if you need any more info.

Fuji Abound
23rd Sep 2008, 18:54
Thanks Slopey. I shall be into the University a bit, but getting there is not an issue.

I just need to work out an airways routing now! It will be worth it over that distance.

Thanks for you help

dont overfil
23rd Sep 2008, 19:38
Fuji,
I stay 30 miles WSW from EGQL.
Flew in to a recent military civil air safety day.
DO.

PPRuNe Radar
24th Sep 2008, 00:04
I just need to work out an airways routing now! It will be worth it over that distance.

Where from ??