PDA

View Full Version : Flying from and around Bournemouth

RMarvin86
21st Sep 2008, 21:37
Hello! I'm from Italy, and I'm considering to join the Cabair's ATPL ground school in Bournemouth in january and, as I've to build some hours before starting with cpl/ir after the GS I was thinking about flying at bournemouth during my stay. I've no experience about GA flying in the UK so any information about VFR flying is appreciated. My main question is about Bournemouth area if ther're airports or strips around to do some short flying x-country trips. What about local flying clubs? Cabair offers a 50 hour hour package which results to be £135 / hour incld. fees. Is it possible to find something cheaper around? Well, as I wrote, any advice will be of help! :)

DavidHoul52
21st Sep 2008, 21:43
You can look up schools here FLYER Directory (http://www.flyer.co.uk/directory/). Cabair is one of the more expensive. Best not to take a package as you might not find you are happy for some reason, or you stay is cut short.

Which aircraft are you interested in?

RMarvin86
21st Sep 2008, 21:50
Which aircraft are you interested in?

The cheapest :)

And thanks for the link.

potkettleblack
22nd Sep 2008, 08:08
I hope you haven't paid in advance for the entire course. There is a another CPL/IR/ME school on the airfield that has a long established history of finishing off Cabair students who have left after lots of false promises. Unfortunately a few seem to lose their deposits along the way as well.

betterfromabove
22nd Sep 2008, 15:09
You can rent from Bournemouth Flying Club, if you like Pipers, although they are a bit expensive.

BCFT have a C172 you can rent too, although it can be a bit complicated to get hold of...

Compton Abbas or Old Sarum might be your best solution, if you have a car. Very friendly places & some great English countryside to be flown over!!

Beware Cabair....lots of unmentioned extras.

hugh flung_dung
22nd Sep 2008, 17:20
Rmarvin86:
Old Sarum is about 35km North of Bournemouth and now has three PA28s (glass cockpit and conventional), two AT-3s and a Bulldog - more aircraft will probably be arriving over the next few months. There are also flexwings, C42s, Sky Arrows and Shadows available. There's even at least one Italian at the airfield.
For hours building the AT-3s would give the cheapest option but they're VFR-only.

These links shows many of the larger civil airfields: http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/ad/EG_AD_1_3_2_1_en.pdf
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/ad/EG_AD_1_3_en.pdf
NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html)
but there are also lots of smaller ones

HFD

RMarvin86
22nd Sep 2008, 19:43
Thx all for your replies so far. That warnings about cabair makes me concern a little but I've read a lot about it around here and I've found very good feedbacks, anyhow I think I'll give a look at the school myself when I'll travel to GTW for my medical revalidation.

To budget my hour building in the UK and to assess if it's worth can someone tell me what normal hiring rates are? C150 or any other cheap VFR aircraft. That AT-3 looks interesting, what about that one?
Are airport fees expensive if flying out from bournemouth? I know tht HR building is cheaper in the US but I will stay for 7 month during GS so I though to take some 20-30 hours?!? Maybe more depending on rates.

Mad Girl
22nd Sep 2008, 19:56
There's even at least one Italian at the airfield.

Well I never!!! Who would that be?? :D ;) :p

RMarvin86 - PM if you want to understand the joke...

PlasticPilot
22nd Sep 2008, 19:58
My personal souvenir of Bournemouth is the 62 Pounds approach, landing, and handling fee (free coffee included). If you want to fly in the London area, I strongly recomment the West London Aero Club. Check the links below for more about my own experience of flying in England.

White Waltham and the West London Aero Club (http://www.plasticpilot.net/blog/2008/09/03/white-waltham-and-the-west-london-aero-club/)

Flying England II - IMC, ILS, and Radar Service (http://www.plasticpilot.net/blog/2008/09/01/flying-england-ii-imc-ils-and-radar-service/)

Flying Bournemouth to Guernsey - The Perfect Plan (http://www.plasticpilot.net/blog/2008/08/28/flying-bournemouth-to-guernsey-the-perfect-plan/)

RMarvin86
22nd Sep 2008, 20:32
Very nice website plasticpilot, I'll take a deeper look at it as I have more time. Please tell me about the 62 pounds, I'm not sure I did understand? Did they charge you that much for landing into bournemouth? 'cause I would call it really expansive!

tangovictor
22nd Sep 2008, 22:34
any Bournemouth flying club members here ? I'd like to fly in, but do not wish to pay silly landing fee's, could I join a Bournemouth based club ? and qualify for cheaper landing fee's ? ( my brother has recently moved to Bournemouth, hence enquiry )

markp123
23rd Sep 2008, 16:41
Bournemouth flying club charge a 95 squid membership fee....for 1 year. which i guess aint too bad if you plan to do alot of flights in/out of Bournemouth but for a one off its a bit extreme. Heard theres a place that does a/c rentals pretty cheap....not cabair/BCFT/bournemouth flying club. any ideas what it's called??

Mark.

potkettleblack
23rd Sep 2008, 17:00
I am pretty sure there are no capital groups that you can get into up at Blackbushe. Its a bit of a drive but I would say the cheap flying would soon outweigh the petrol costs and membership fees that a club would charge. Not to mention the prohibitively expensive landing fees that BOH charges (it thinks it is the next LHR)!

Your going to be busy in class during the week which only leaves you free for weekend flying which invariably is the busiest time for clubs and hence aircraft availability will be at its lowest. Old Sarum might have some groups as well.

expedite08
26th Sep 2008, 12:30
Solent School of Flying is the place you want. No messing about, good a/c availability and its about £120 to join the club. BFC tend to mess people about bit (I have heard). checkouts if you havent flown for a week or something similar! ( possible money making tactics! )

RMarvin86
26th Sep 2008, 18:56
Solent School of Flying is the place you want.

Thanks, I check their website, looks great. Regarding other flying clubs around Bournemouth, I don't think I'll be able to move by car during my stay so I think I should consider a locally based club.

Is it possible to find a free chart online with local airfields and airports of the area? I did check the link from NATS but it only depicts the major fields of the UK.

DBisDogOne
26th Sep 2008, 19:11
expedite08 "BFC tend to mess people about bit (I have heard). checkouts if you havent flown for a week or something similar! ( possible money making tactics! )"

The management have recently changed and there is a bit of 'messing about' as you put it (have suffered this recently myself) but they operate the standard 28-day rule that most places do.

Their PA28's and C172's are about £25 cheaper if you go for the new diesel versions (as they use about half the fuel), I've not got around to getting diesel-checked yet myself so can't comment on how they fly. I think the cost per hour of a diesel PA28 is £107 or thereabouts so this would be a good move for hours-building.

RMarvin86
26th Sep 2008, 19:25
DBisDogOne: they operate the standard 28-day rule that most places do.

Could you please explain me what this 28 days rule is?

I think the cost per hour of a diesel PA28 is £107 or thereabouts so this would be a good move for hours-building.

A good deal. Can you tell me if you have to pay local airport fees if you're a member of the Bournemouth flying club (markp123 mentioned a membership fee which gives a discount, I guess, on airport fees.)

DBisDogOne
26th Sep 2008, 19:50
Sorry, '28-day rule' is a standard thing most flying clubs operate when hiring their a/c out. You have to have flown (not necess. with them) in the preceding 28 days to allow you to solo hire an a/c. If you haven't, you aren't considered current and will need a check-flight, the length of which isn't fixed, it tends to depend on how experienced you are and how well they know you/your flying skills.

I try to stay current but when I've drifted outside the 28 days, (who hasn't given the crap wx this year?), I've used a check flight for brush-up training such as grass/short-field ops, instrument flight etc.

I think the currency rule (generally 28 days but it varies, I've seen between 14 days and six weeks) is more to do with insurance companies policy as much as anything but am willing to be told otherwise. Personally, I think it's a good thing as it's often lack of recent flight experience that causes alot of problems.

The BFC hire rates: I've never paid a landing fee at Bournemouth (EGHH) ever and do a few circuits every now and then without issue (bar lots of traffic, it can get V.busy), if you hire from them, they have landing cards for most a/c. Check out their website and full price list on Bournemouth Flying Club (http://bfclub.co.uk/home/)
Briefly:
A PA28 is £132 petrol/£107 diesel per hour solo rate
a C172 is £141 petrol/£110 diesel per hour solo rate

They do a frequent flyer scheme but I don't know about this, give them a call if you're interested, maybe worth considering if you want to do a block of hours, rates reduce further but do your sums before signing up to any such thing to be sure it's worth it.

Be seeing you...

RMarvin86
26th Sep 2008, 20:45
Thank you DBisDogOne you've been really clear and of help!

PlasticPilot
26th Sep 2008, 21:27
Very nice website plasticpilot, I'll take a deeper look at it as I have more time.

Thanks a lot :-)

Please tell me about the 62 pounds, I'm not sure I did understand? Did they charge you that much for landing into bournemouth? 'cause I would call it really expansive!

That's what I paid for an ILS approach, subsequent landing, handling (marshaller and free coffee). This was with a PA32-Saratoga, as visitor. I guess that based aircrafts get better rates...

PP

p1_aviator
28th Sep 2008, 12:09
At Old Sarum i know they are now operating two Aero AT3's, which they are renting out dry. They use an average of 15ltr per hour, so they are a very cheap option. They also do hour building deals, check out the website. www.flysarum.com (http://www.flysarum.com).

Its also alot less busy than bournemouth.:)

p1

RMarvin86
28th Sep 2008, 21:23
They also do hour building deals, check out the website. www.flysarum.com (http://www.flysarum.com/).

That went traight to my bookmarks list! Thanks a lot. I've been told about Old Sarum field but don't think I'll be able to get around by car, maybe by public transport means getting there easily but I'll found it by myself when there.

DBisDogOne
29th Sep 2008, 21:19
PlasticPilot: You are right of course, visiting a/c are hit up similar to any other airport with 'International' in the title!!!! A/c based there are given cheaper rates I believe.

P1: OldSarum really nice place, and less busy? Damn right!!!! Thinking of changing to there myself.

Nibbler
30th Sep 2008, 00:26
I'm at bournemouth flying club - membership is currently free until the new software goes live (maybe this will be Oct/Nov) Once the software is live membership will be £95 per year. Only A/C hired from there include landing fees / parking etc regardless of your membership status.

Coffee / Soup & even the water is free (this might make all the difference!)

someone already posted a link but I thought I'd explain the 'frequent flyer' option...

You are looking at 50 hours - frequent flyer is £1250 to join then it's £77 per hour (wet & including landings). This means you could fly 50 hours in a PA28 for as little as £102 per hour (saving £250), but if you fly more you save more.

There are 8 other a/c types to fly as well (all included on the frequent flyer rate) and of course you can take the option of night flying at Bournemouth, not available elsewhere in the local area - given the time of year.

737junkie
30th Sep 2008, 15:28
Nibbler, I am sure working for Bournemouth flying club hasn't made you biased at all! But why charge membership at all?! How do you justify charging your loyal members?

You are not the only one to give away free tea and coffee - many local schools also give away tea and coffee to their students, not to mention water! So this is no justification for the membership fee!

As for the frequent flyer rate, is this not what Old Sarum flying club did just before they went into liquidation? Same staff and management, same business model and packages - lets hope you don't go the same way for the students and your sake!

p1_aviator
30th Sep 2008, 16:00
In addition, to Old Sarum Flying school, which operate the 2 brand new AT3's, PA28 warriors, Glass cockpit archer and bulldog, there is Airsport UK who operate C42's and a couple of people who do Flex wing training. So lots of veriety.
I have also noticed a lot of bournemouth based instructors come from bournemouth to do their circuits at Old sarum as it is quieter than bournemouth and better value for money. I was waiting for 25 mins the other week to take off at bournemouth :*! That would really annoy me if i had that when i was learning!
I have heard that bournemouth are thinking about stopping circuit training? does anyone know anymore about this?????

Nibbler
30th Sep 2008, 20:08
Bournemouth do have some longer delays, such as when the Red Arrows are visiting. Shorter delays are experienced more during the week than at the weekends, due to the nature of the commercial traffic in use. The good news is Students and Hirers are charged a flat fee of 0.2 for all taxy - unlike Old Sarum and others who charge chx off to chx on.

In fact just this very morning, as an ex student at Old Sarum, I received their new price list. How the new company managed to get my personal details I am not sure. Is someone is selling my personal information on or has it been obtained by some other means? I am quite concerned about this.

Anyway back to subject. Delays at Bournemouth are possible but not all that common. You are using class D airspace and have the facilities of a commercial airport, communicating with a full ATC service, ADF, NDB, ILS, Night flyng and the like. These facilities are simply not available at places like Old Sarum. However learning to land on grass and using short field techniques is a vital part of any pilot training, hence BFC's use of Old Sarum Airfield. BFC instructors are not using Old Sarum because it's too busy to do CCTS at Bournemouth because, as logic dictates, it would be impossible to send someone solo at Bournemouth it they hadn't trained in the Bournemouth CCT!

I have heard that bournemouth are thinking about stopping circuit training? As people will know Bournemouth is being expanded with a new terminal building to cope with and encourage a projected increase in commercial aviation. Clearly it will become more difficult to operate out of Bournemouth when the full projected increase in traffic is realised. Even discounting the current economic situation this capacity use is not expected for some years. So the answer is 'not any time soon'.

Nibbler
30th Sep 2008, 20:36
Nibbler, I am sure working for Bournemouth flying club hasn't made you biased at all!

Good first post. You can only talk with authority on what you know. Any bias would be clearly seen and I do seem to be speaking about facts rather than giving any personal opinion.

But why charge membership at all?! How do you justify charging your loyal members?

It's not my place to justify anything, I don't run or own the place. Care to point me and everyone else here to a flying club that does NOT charge a membership?

You are not the only one to give away free tea and coffee - many local schools also give away tea and coffee to their students, not to mention water! So this is no justification for the membership fee!

The free things mentioned were not a justification for the membership, just another fact.

As for the frequent flyer rate, is this not what Old Sarum flying club did just before they went into liquidation?

Just because the frequent flyer idea was used at Old Sarum does not make it a bad idea. Most schools (including Old Sarum) have a bulk buy scheme of some sort.

Same staff and management, same business model and packages - lets hope you don't go the same way for the students and your sake!

Some of the people who were at Old Sarum (not all) did indeed move to Bournemouth flying club. This list includes some ground staff, instructors and students and it is continuing to grow all the time. I need a job to pay for my flying and training, Old Sarum had/have nothing on offer, Bournemouth did. QED.

I can't speak for the financial state of BFC but it seems more robust than it was at Old Sarum under the old regime.

Actually I'd rather be back working and flying at Old Sarum - but that's a statement made from the needs of practicality rather than personality, if you get my drift.

Finally back to topic - Bournemouth IMHO be a better option for RMarvin86 given his aims, transport needs and wallet.

RMarvin86
30th Sep 2008, 22:21
Thanks Nibbler, you've add a lot of usefull information on the thread.
Actually I'm more prone to BFC, prices are good, cheaper than where I'm actually flying in Italy and the frequent flyer looks good to build hours and save money. If you're familiar with this programme do you know if it can be purchased by two members who divide costs and flight time?

Nibbler
1st Oct 2008, 07:42
The frequent flyer rate is a 'single account' based rate and not something you can share. Although it's a fair question and many people have had exactly the same idea!

On occasion you might be able to fly together, with your friend listed as P1, then at the end of the flight request it to be billed to your account. The Ops staff may agree to do this if your request was not a frequent event.

p1_aviator
1st Oct 2008, 08:32
In fact just this very morning, as an ex student at Old Sarum, I received their new price list. How the new company managed to get my personal details I am not sure. Is someone is selling my personal information on or has it been obtained by some other means? I am quite concerned about this.

Probably the best person to ask is Vicky from BFC, as she is also sending emails and letters to all ex Old Sarum Flying Club Members.

In response to your comment about being able to fly using commercial airport facilities (ADF, NDB, ILS). For PPL training these are not really a benefit. Unless you have completed some sort of instrument course, they are not much use.

The only reason i enquired about Bournemouth stopping circuits, is that i was speaking with a Bournemouth instructor and he said it was going to happen sooner rather than later.

I can understand 737junkies remarks in respect to the same management staff being at BFC as were at OSFC. However i feel his comments may be slightly unfair.

One last point...A flying school which does not charge a membership fee is OLD SARUM FLYING SCHOOL.

Nibbler
1st Oct 2008, 11:19
I've not had any communication from Vicky either by e-mail or letter but 2 wrongs don't make it right. If I begin to get angry about it then I'll speak to the Data Protection Registrar.

The question of the radio aids and radar services as a 'benefit' comes in to play when a VFR pilot needs to land and is in visual trouble, when one wishes to train for the IMC/IR or when an IMC/IR pilot wishes to practice and stay current and when a student wants to fly and the instructor needs to know he can get back and land where he started from. In these cases I'd suggest they were a benefit.

I have no idea what information sources or logic this instructor applied to come to this conclusion. The new terminal is not going to be ready for some time, it is not going to be at full operational capacity for some time after it opens and with the current financial situation? - My take on this is 'later rather than sooner'. It may also be significant that people who know far more than I do are investing huge sums into BFC. Would they do so if the future was as bleak as as been suggested?

Well of course 737junkie might be a troll.

The information I was sent does not say a membership fee is NOT payable. It is my mistake to assume there would be but I would have thought they would have made more of not charging one, unless a small membership fee is really not that big a factor?

What the letter tells me is that Old Sarum Flying School has a 2 year lease. Now I don't want to read anything into this.... or jump to any conclusions, look what happened when I did that with membership.

The rate for the PA28 solo is £100 per hour (the cheapest option) but does not include the fuel. The Archer is £140 which would push the price to close to or even over £200 per hour including fuel. What is more these are 'weekday only prices' and it does not say if this includes VAT or not. The PA28 at BFC is £107 per hour including VAT and Fuel. Do the math, but don't forget to add the £95 per year membership to your expected number of yearly hours!

On the plus side...

I like Old Sarum and have respect for the instructors, the airfield and airfield operator and would be there yesterday if there were any chance however the 'tar' of the old regime stuck to others, who carried no responsibility or blame for what happened.

The AT3 is very interesting cheap option given it's aerobatic ability and fuel burn.

And as no one has mentioned it, a big SHOUT OUT that they are having an open day with lots going on which is on the 11th and 12th of October. See you there!

p1_aviator
3rd Oct 2008, 11:10
In response to the comment about people's personal data being used, personally i didn't mind but i can understand and agree with Nibbler.

I can confirm that OSFS do not charge a membership fee and i was told they have a rolling lease with 2 years notice which if i understand it correctly means they are here for at least the ne axt 3 years @ worst case.

I have a mental picture of 737junkie in his airline uniform curled up under a bridge now..... rather amusing thought!!!!!! Maybe a view of things to come if XL and the like are the first of many victims of the current climate.

Valid point about the prices, but sounding a lot like an advert sir! I assume those prices are flying the diesel warrior??? There should be a clear destinction here as some people don't like to fly the diesel due to the turbo lag, reduced weight limit and the fact that you have a power lever and thats it, the rest is done on some sort of EFIS system. I don't know that much about the deisel but what i was told i didn't like the sound of, but that is mearly a personal opinion. Im old fassioned and like to be in full control at all times. To clarify all prices @ Old Sarum (OSFS and Airsport UK) include VAT.

Nibbler
3rd Oct 2008, 19:51
Right enough p1_aviator those prices were for the diesel warrior. The petrol (without quoting a price :) ) still works out cheaper. I hoped to balance the price information with the notice of the open day at Old Sarum :)

Just to touch on the diesel engine question.

The engine is managed by 2 FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) computer systems (1 active and 1 spare) with a 2 panel system of LED indicators covering things such as fuel, oil, gearbox oil, water pressures and temps. You have a LED fuel flow indicator, RPM, % thrust and charge. The LED system uses a range of red/amber/green/amber/red position indication lights.

The computer manages the variable pitch of the prop and the mixture making the aircraft noise and fuel efficient. No carb icing to worry about as the engine is fuel injected - to add to efficiency the fuel is pre heated and unburnt fuel is returned to the active tank. The burn rate in a PA28 is around 4.5USG per hour at 75% thrust (100-110kts). The 2.0L C172 is about the same. JET-A1 fuel is cheaper.

A major advantage with the FADEC computer is that you are aware of a problem early and can do something about it, like landing on a runway. In general terms with the petrol the first you know of a problem is when something actually fails and the best field is your only option.

Other than a reduced work load on the pilot another plus is there is little chance of an engine / fuel fire if the aircraft does crash.

On the downside the:
- engine is a little heavier resulting in a slightly reduced load allowance
- climb rate is a little less as well.
- computer is sensitive and it will alert you to 'spikes', however there is a AED / CED reset (if the lights go out then you can continue the flight as normal).
- If the alternator fails and the battery discharges - the engine stops.
- service costs are higher as (currently) the CAA require the gearbox has to be changed every 300 hours
- Low fuel temp can cause plug waxing so on very cold mornings there is little you can do other than wait for things to warm up. Once running icing is not a problem due to the fuel return system.

The conversion training is around 1-1.5 hours ground school and a 30-60 min flight.

flyvirgin
12th Oct 2008, 15:41
Rmarvin86
There is a man called derick davidson at bournemouth, he has his own flying school and hires aircraft at a good price:ok:
If you want he's number P.M me
Cheers Adam.

PlasticPilot
12th Oct 2008, 16:49
PlasticPilot: You are right of course, visiting a/c are hit up similar to any other airport with 'International' in the title!!!! A/c based there are given cheaper rates I believe.Definitely true... but airports like Gatwick (250 to 650 pounds), Geneva (30 pounds, including one night parking), Nice (approx. 200 EUR) have slightly more airline trafic that Bournemouth. Anyway, if the requester can get better prices flying a based aircraft, that's good news.

Yankee
12th Oct 2008, 21:25
PlasticPilot: You are right of course, visiting a/c are hit up similar to any other airport with 'International' in the title!!!! A/c based there are given cheaper rates I believe.

Nope not quite true. Bournemouth home based aircraft either pay the same as visitors or have the privilege of paying 200 times the standard rate for private owners or 400 times for companies for an annual landing concession. The only saving is not having to pay handling fees, providing you have a private parking space that is.

BTW Manchester Airport Group dropped "International" from the Airport's title some years ago. Pity their concerns not to misrepresent didn't extend to their fee structure.

englishal
13th Oct 2008, 07:50
and the frequent flyer looks good to build hours and save money
UNless you just happened to load up your account at Old Sarum the day before they went bust.....;)

RMarvin86
13th Oct 2008, 07:59
Check your PM :ok:

RM86

tomster50
14th Oct 2008, 08:44
After reading this thread, I had a look at BFC website and noticed a few familiar faces. It appears that most of the people who worked at Old Sarum Flying Club before it went bankrupt are now all running another flying club, BFC.

After handing over nearly £7000 to these people for a PPL course, and loosing most of it 6 weeks later when they go bankrupt, there is no way I would hand over lump somes of money to these people again. Even if they are at another flying club 'with lots of financial backing'!

jxk
14th Oct 2008, 08:56
Handing over money for future training and then the company going bust has been a feature of my 30+ years of flying; this should be taught as lesson 1 in the syllabus!

Nibbler
14th Oct 2008, 16:37
None of the employees at Old Sarum Flying Club had any idea of what was about to happen or had the 'power' to make decisions (good or ill) in the way the business was run and played no part in its ultimate demise.

Not that many staff have re-located to Bournemouth Flying Club either, of the 15 (or so) only 5 have. There are in fact more ex-staff working at Old Sarum Airfield in the new business based there, not to mention others who have departed to pastures new all over the South.

There is only one person to blame for what happened at Old Sarum Flying Club and directing such accusations at me and other decent hard working people is both unfounded and quite wrong.

Another 1 post superhero. :rolleyes:

tomster50
14th Oct 2008, 21:15
I have not accused you or anyone else of anything!! I am merely stating that i wouldn't feel comfortable handing over any money to BFC as they have number of employees working for them who previously worked for a club which took £7000 from me, and gave nothing back in return. I feel 99% of people would probably feel the same in my position.

Who knows whether anyone at the old club had an idea of what was hapening. Maybe they did...maybe they didnt...

However there is someone listed on your website, as working for you, who had the role of 'commercial manager' (or a similarly important role) at the club that went bankrupt. I would have thought someone with this sort of influence within a company would have an idea there was financial troubles. If not then they would be very ignorant as to what was happening within their organisation.

I could be completely wrong with all these thoughts, as i am still feeling sorry for myself after losing so much money, but they are just my opinions.

2 posts now...:D

Nibbler
15th Oct 2008, 00:23
They (we all) didn't know, there is no maybe about it.

The person you refer to had happily gone on holiday totally unaware of the impending 'moment' and was only employed 2 days a week. Of course the job title infers he would have financial knowledge but in fact this is a mistake. The role was to promote the business in the wider community and had absolutely nothing to do with the company finances.

I can and do appreciate your bitterness, right there with you. Without this turning into a pissing contest (more for some perspective) the close of the business cost me a lot more than 7k and it cost others more than me.

You might talk to people now who tell you they knew this was going to happen weeks or months before it did. It's very easy to put 2 and 2 together with the benefit of hindsight and a the will to spin a good yarn. I can tell you for a fact that if people had the slightest inclination (even a rumour) of what was going to happen things would have turned out very differently.

Was the refund route not open to you as I hear credit card companies had refunded a lot of customers, that is if you had paid using a credit card? Oh and I am both relieved and pleased to say it wasn't me who took your money.

Welcome to pprune.....

Yankee
15th Oct 2008, 09:07
Nibbler

I accept everything you say as being gospel, but if I had the money to throw at a flying club and rejuvenate it I don’t think employing someone from a local failed club, whose job title to my prospective customers certainly does infer they may have had some control of what was going on, would be my first choice.

No matter how innocent I’m afraid in the wild world mud sticks, and its going to be a hard task washing that off, although I’m sure it can be done if one goes about it the right way. Your contribution of the new club web site is certainly one of the right ways, but unfortunately the way that one individual has gone about dealing with the Club’s Restaurant’s existing cliental, including many of the local flyers, has alienated a lot of people.

This is probably all wrong but the impression being given is sod the passengers throw them overboard and see if they make it back to shore. If so, and if the want to, I don’t really care one way or the other, they can catch up with us on the next voyage, but I don’t know yet where it’s going.

tomster50
15th Oct 2008, 10:30
I didn't pay on c/c unfortunately, i paid using a debit card. I am however chasing up the 'chargeback' facility at the moment to reclaim some money.

It may not have been you who took my money but the person who did is listed on your web page, and i have also recieved e-mails from them asking me to come and fly with you. This request did grind at me a bit!

I wish you and BFC all the best, but as yankee said 'mud sticks' and with so many ex management staff from the bankrupt club now working for you. I personally wont be inclined to give them any money.

Thankyou...

Nibbler
15th Oct 2008, 14:14
tomster50 & Yankee

I hear what you both are saying and I do agree to some extent with the points you make.

As you may have already guessed I am unable to expand too far, you never know who might be reading this, suffice to say I am only a minion however rest assured - I'm not going to be party to any wrong doing should I become aware of it.

With regard to the events since the take over, well yes I personally think things could have been handled slightly differently but to be fair that statement does not take into account the attitudes and behaviour of the existing people and their response to change. Given the state of the business urgent change was clearly required and significant change in any organisation is never easy.

What I can say is that these changes are for the better and the proof is in the sampling - the restaurant is having a major upgrade and will re-open in December.

hugh flung_dung
15th Oct 2008, 15:10
Hi Nibbler, earlier in the thread you said that the AT-3 is aerobatic - this is not the case. The manufacturer is call "Aero" so maybe that's what caused the confusion.

HFD

TangoZulu
15th Oct 2008, 15:15
Interesting - having flown with BFC for some years now having learnt there I have to say I am less than impressed with the new management.

The approach towards existing customers seems to be along the lines of he who pays the most and shouts the loudest gets what they want. Maybe that is the way of the world now but it does some rather harsh on the existing clientele.

Will be interesting to see what comes of the changes at BFC - however I have to say from a customer perspective it is not looking that hopeful.

Nibbler
15th Oct 2008, 16:23
Thanks for that hugh flung_dung Sir and apologies for the error, indeed I did read it the way you suggested.

TangoZulu - I am sorry you have that impression from the service you have (not) received. As you would expect this would be the farthest thought in the minds of the ops staff who's job it is to try, working against all adversity (at times), to get students and pilots flying as and when they want to.

Without knowing exactly what happened to you it is difficult to address your individual concern - might I suggest either PM me for a personal service or using the contact link on the website to put your thoughts directly to management?

Cabin doors 2 manual
18th Oct 2008, 19:37
This may be a good thread and time to ask the following....

Will BFC stop illegally email spamming me along with other old OSFC members. My details with old Old Sarum Flying Club were not to be stolen by the new management at BFC and used to promote another flying school.

I also lost money at OSFC and for the same management staff to spam me is not only illegal but taking the p***. Stop it.

Nibbler
19th Oct 2008, 15:30
As I have said previously (in this very thread) 2 wrongs don't make a right so....

I have enquired at BFC and have been told all the e-mail addresses are part of a personal list of contacts a member of staff developed to keep in touch with people they knew however anyone wishing to be removed from the list should reply to the BFC e-mail asking to be removed.

Thank you for bring it up.

Cabin doors 2 manual
19th Oct 2008, 18:16
Nibbler, both you and I know that email list was not a personal list made by a member of staff. I never gave my email address to anyone other than OSFC membership form, that list was copied and taken to BFC. I know the person who copied it and the exact day it was done, but lets leave that there and not dwell on that.

Anyway, no matter how BFC obtained the list, it is still illegal to send spam emails to people with fines up to £5000 for each offence. The current law requires people to opt IN to an email list, you cannot spam and then say people can opt OUT. Therefore I suggest you modify your current email list to include only your BCF members who have given permission to be contacted by email. It is not my responsibility to opt out.

Regards

Nibbler
19th Oct 2008, 23:08
I am repeating what I have been told, taking the information in good faith and placing it here with the exact same intention. I genuinely had no idea OSFC membership forms were copied, if in fact they were. I did not see or partake in this act and I have not actually seen any evidence at BFC of this, therefore I am unable to confirm your claim even if it is true.

As I don't own or run the business and I'm not the person who sends these e-mails it's fair to say your points (however much I agree with them) are wasted if they are solely aimed at me. You should speak to BFC directly about this.

Cabin doors 2 manual
20th Oct 2008, 11:40
I'll repeat what I said, its not for me to opt out of illegal email spam lists. Its also not my job to explain the current UK laws to companies they are responisble for themselves.

If it happens again then it will be reported to The Information Commissioner's Office.

Nibbler
20th Oct 2008, 15:24
Well now we've sorted the problem of responsibility you might find the link I recently used very handy

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/forms/ico-datap-how2comp-form.pdf

:ok:

g-enie
21st Oct 2008, 09:32
Nibbler,

As a representative of Old Sarum, if you have an issue with our marketing we would be more than happy to discuss it with you. As the Information Commissioner's Office suggests, this should always be your first port of call in the event of a complaint.

Contact details for the flying school can be found on our website, Old Sarum Flying School (http://www.flysarum.com).

I hope this helps bring about an amicable conclusion to the matter.

osaf
21st Oct 2008, 11:20
Greetings to all on this thread.

A lot has been said about the ins and outs of the Old Sarum Flying Club and Bournemouth Flying Club links.

I need to make it quite clear that Blanefield Airfield Operations Ltd operate Old Sarum Airfield and several operations, including Old Sarum Flying School (www.flysarum.com (http://www.flysarum.com)) are based here.

Blanefield have not been involved in this 'marketing' issue.

We continue to seek settlement from those responsible for the debts of Megastream Ltd t/a Old Sarum Flying Club, and to the best of our knowledge these do not include personalities involved in the ownership or operation on Bournemouth Flying Club who often have their aircraft on our wonderful site for circuit and grass runway training excersises.

The issue of 'e-mailing lists' is a grey one and I guess left to those who choose to carry them out. If you are a recipient and feel agrieved, contact the sender direct and have it out with them. Neither Old Sarum or Bournemouth deserve the bad press this issue is creating.

best regards and visit us soon! OSAF

TangoZulu
21st Oct 2008, 12:07
Nibbler

Appreciate your offer - however as my discussion was with the new management it seems I probably already have their answer

Cheers - will see what comes to pass!

Nibbler
21st Oct 2008, 14:45
TangoZulu - always willing to help. In fact how quickly things in aviation change as it would seem today I have been elevated to a managment role at BFC. Please no applause! :uhoh:

Seriously though if I can (as people who know me will confirm) I will be available for anyone with an issue, problem, gripe or even with a simple enquiry.

G-ENIE, thank you. I doubt my concern will grow or go further than my brief moan on pprune, although (no reply required) I do wonder how A got my details from B, maybe the clue left by another is right, although aimed incorrectly?

Cabin doors 2 manual
21st Oct 2008, 15:31
I do wonder how A got my details from B

I would guess that it's the receivers list for the bust OSFC, who listed and distributed about 800 members/staff names and addresses to everyone.

Posting unsolicited letters is not against the law, only applies to electronic mailings such as texts and emails.

sharksandwich
21st Oct 2008, 15:44
There is a thread on this forum about sharing costs for joyrides.
Is it possible to take passengers while training, and sharing some of the costs with them?
Quite a few people joy ride around Bournemouth, and would be happy with a pupil pilot.

Nibbler
22nd Oct 2008, 07:12
As long as the pilot (PIC) pays an equal share of the costs (or more). You must avoid the situation where the pilot gains anything financially by taking passengers. If the flight were a lesson with an instructor then the instructor would have to agree and of course all subject to weight and balance.

If you are a pilot who would like to offer another pilot or student pilot the chance to fly with you on a cost share basis then we have a notice board for this very purpose in the flying club where you can place your offer.

Offers like this are very welcome!

Nibbler
22nd Oct 2008, 09:19
Posting unsolicited letters is not against the law, only applies to electronic mailings such as texts and emails.

Unless the data is held in a retrieval system, mechanical or electronic in which case the Data Protection Act comes into force.

Without getting into information overload - suffice to say obtaining, storing and using data which personally identifies individuals places a number of important legal requirements on the business concerned especially if the data is not for the sole purpose of invoicing. More so when such data is of individuals who are not customers of the business.

OSFS are genuine people as such I can trust them to have a look their obligations, specifically at the security of the data, just in case they missed anything.

OSAF - thanks for popping in and confirming the position of the people at BFC and OSFS. The last thing anyone needs is the ghost of OSFC hanging about continuing to have influence.

I'd just like to say the BFC members grass field training session we did there the other day was great fun. The pilots learnt a lot and the fear of grass was totally banished, so I expect many of them will return to sample again the delights over at Old Sarum Airfield - thank you OSAF!