PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Flying

rauxaman
18th Sep 2008, 18:42
I am hoping for some feedback from the forum... "Heroes of PFA & Farmstrip Flying"

I have had to leave flying alone for a while after surgery, also I have moved to a new area. Now I'm itching to get back into it... for a long time I have fancied doing some "hobby flying" away from regulated airspace in a Permit to Fly aeroplane.

I have been searching and searching for a share in an existing group but without success so I am now seriously thinking of buying something for myself, maybe something like a Kitfox or Avid Speedwing that (I believe) I can tow behind my car. I live on a large estate in Rutland and get on well with the farmer land-owner so who knows regarding fields?

My question is whether anyone out there can offer any advice regarding my imminent entrance into becoming a "hero"... I am budgeting an initial investment of around 12k, hopefully this isn't too naieve,

Cheers R

Blink182
18th Sep 2008, 19:50
The folks at PPrune towers should realise that the PFA is now the LAA and should change the titles accordingly. :)

Rod1
18th Sep 2008, 21:25
I have asked several times but BRL he no do...:ugh:

Rod1

Crash one
18th Sep 2008, 22:38
rauxaman
Not knowing your previous experience I may be "teaching mother to suck eggs". However, I have recently bought a Piel Emeraude. (search G-INFO G-BKUR. Costs: farm strip secure hangar £100 per month, Fuel, mogas 22lph, Maintenance, DIY.
Guestimated, prob conservative, annual cost ~£2500 (inc hangar, insurance, light maintenance, no engine rebuilds) +fuel.
I looked at the Kitfox but thought it a bit on the light side, just my opinion.
My Emeraude cost me £16K, after inspection & work recommended was complete, total initial cost £18K.
Tailwheel training if you need it ~10--12hrs.
£12K is possible, check LAA magazine, one in there this month, Avid Speedwing £12500,
Must be a LAA member by the way to take advantage of the Permit system, but much help & advice available from them.

Advantages: independence, fun, freedom, more fun.
Good luck.

gasax
19th Sep 2008, 09:32
Folding wing aircraft are generally nothing like as adaptable as their designers would have you think. It is possible to tow a Kitfox/Avid - but the wings need bracing and they are very vulnerable. They will probably need most of the fuel removed as well.

It can be done but the vast majority of folding wing aircraft don't - and that by itself is a telling comment. Certainly the aircraft are out there for sale. Go along to your local Strut and try and find a local owner who has a similar type of aircraft - the things they know will save you a huge amount of aggrevation. Or go along to your local strip and do the same. There are so many differences between the club and strip environment that setting up by yourself will be a real challenge - use other peoples experience. The majority of strip flyers are all too eager to help particularly if you can offer some talents in return.

jonkil
19th Sep 2008, 13:51
Folding wing aircraft are generally nothing like as adaptable as their designers would have you think. It is possible to tow a Kitfox/Avid - but the wings need bracing and they are very vulnerable. They will probably need most of the fuel removed as well.

It can be done but the vast majority of folding wing aircraft don't - and that by itself is a telling comment. Certainly the aircraft are out there for sale. Go along to your local Strut and try and find a local owner who has a similar type of aircraft - the things they know will save you a huge amount of aggrevation. Or go along to your local strip and do the same. There are so many differences between the club and strip environment that setting up by yourself will be a real challenge - use other peoples experience. The majority of strip flyers are all too eager to help particularly if you can offer some talents in return.
This is definitely the case. Try and get permission for hangarage as you will find the rigging/de-rigging a pain in the backside very quickly. LAA aircraft or maybe a microlight is the answer, there is quite a few descent microlights for less than 15K... Rans S6/X-air's/Thrusters and all are quite capable and 300 metres of grass is all you need. Also some of the Jodels are excellent value if you want to remain GP A.

Jon

Humaround
19th Sep 2008, 14:19
jonkil said

"there is quite a few descent microlights for less than 15K... "

Does that mean that microlights which can go up as well as down cost a bit more then?

(...getting coat...)

gasax
19th Sep 2008, 15:41
Going up has always been the problem - that why it took us so long...........

Any wonder it costs more.......

Dear Mr PPRune can we please have an advanced spell and grammar checker - I feel it would enhance the level of posts no end and protect both myself and others from the slings and arrows of outrageous comment.

pbrookes
19th Sep 2008, 15:50
I used to fly a Kitfox II and it was quick and easy to rig/de-rig and I had a trailer to tow it, but bought some additional wing braces for towing with fuel in the wing tanks.

The only downside to the Mk2 was the Rotax 582 engine which burnt at 18 litres an hour and with only 2 x 20 litre tanks, was not conducive to touring. The MTOW of 432 Kilos also needed passenger/fuel trade-off.

Cheap to run and fun to fly though, although the narrow wheelbase made the landings unforgiving.

The Avid had better performance but the wingfold isn't as easy.

rauxaman
19th Sep 2008, 17:35
Thanks for the replies guys :ok:

I've just had a peep ay BKUR... very tidy, something like this would suit me down to the ground.

Taildragging shpouldn't be a major problem, I have a Silver C in gliding and have flown a Pawnee from time to time... so my feet do work, although I would go on a refresher with an instructor first.

Some of the aircraft are probably on the light side for my experience, I always enjoyed the heavier glass gliders and had many enjoyable flights in a Pup a few years ago, also I have heard stories about Kitfoxes... but as long as you are prepared then you know what to expect!

I have picked up on the points re the folding wings, these obviously should be seen as an "if necessary" item rather than every flight.

I have called at local strips but obviously they are always very quiet, I am the type to muck in (used to spend time mowing the runways when I regularly went gliding). My local strips would include Temple Bruer, Sibson and Shacklewell Farm... if anyone out there could offer an intro....?

My nearest STRUT looks like Loughborough, quite a drive but hopefully worth it once a month.

I suppose 12k is on the tight side but I'll give it a go, it would be nice to have a partner in the exercise but the circumstances of being new to the area don't permit this.

Looks like I'm going to have quite a bit of enjoyable winter planning :)

Thanks again

Crash one
19th Sep 2008, 22:09
Rollason Condor is also a good strip type & of course the various Jodels.
This months Mag G-BGWO £9.5k, (Armstrong starter unfortunately).
Condor G-AWFN £13k. & another unknown reg £11k.
The Emeraude in Wiltshire I believe is one I was seriously thinking about, distance was a problem for me at the time £13.5K. If it is the same check G-ARUV.