PDA

View Full Version : My Trusty Epson Photo 925

P.Pilcher
18th Sep 2008, 15:44
I have owned this, my main printer for a fair few years. It has always done a good job, rarely lets me down, alternative ink cartridges are dirt cheap and work very well.
I was thus a bit annoyed a month or three ago when, on trying to print out a boarding pass for a friend from his airline's website, the printer locked up and the error code indicated a visit to an Epson service centre was necessary. Further research indicated that it considered its waste ink reservoir to be full after years of cleaning and nozzle charging, thus I was obliged to visit a service centre to have this cleaned out - and the printer reset. (Probable cost two to three times that of a new printer.)
More research indicated that I had a small piece of software on my computer which would reset the printer, so I ran it and bingo! my printer was working beautifully again, but I was mindful that this reservoir was full and would need emptying.
I managed to download the GA drawings of the printer and these did not seem to indicate that the replacement job was easy, so I put it on a back burner for a while. Last night, some paper got jammed and on clearing it out a couple of spring loaded roller assemblies flew out as well which would have to be replaced before the printer would work again. As it had to be done immediately, I got out my toolkit and disconnected the printer. I turned it upside down, mindful of the waste ink that might pour out. It didnt! Then I noted a rectangular plastic structure secured to the bottom of the printer by one screw. I undid the screw and discovered that I had relased the waste ink reservoir. The absorbent material it contained was clean fresh white and little if any ink had had to be absorbed from the spout connecting it to the base of the print heads in the parked position!
Refitting the little rollers was another story, but I am writing this tale as it may help other Epson owners who have the same problem with the printer locking up for this reason and require re-setting. At the Epson service centre changing the waste ink reservoir is money for old rope!

My trusty Photo 925 is back in service once more.

P.P.