PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Handling Courses

Katamarino
18th Sep 2008, 13:20
Having seen David mention this on another thread, it occurred to me that I haven't seen something like this mentioned before. Are they commonly available? What sort of things would a course like this cover? Is it just more time with an instructor in a fairly unstructured manner, or a specific syllabus that is generally covered?

BackPacker
18th Sep 2008, 14:56
Katamarino, at the VCR this is called "unusual attitudes training" after which you'll be hooked on aerobatics. At least, that's how it started for me. If you're quick, you might just be able to book for Sep 26th.

The program typically involves:
- Power off stalls with mushing and trying to keep straight with the rudder for a while
- Full power stalls (departure stalls)
- Accellerated stalls (full power in a steep - 80 degree AoB - turn)
- Spin, both left and right
If time permits:
- Loop
- Barrel roll
- And maybe more.

markp123
18th Sep 2008, 17:15
sounds pretty fun. you know of anywhere in the UK that offers this course??

Mark.

'India-Mike
18th Sep 2008, 17:18
Highland Flying School - Post PPL Training - Advanced Handling Course (http://www.highlandflyingschool.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=39)

PAPI-74
18th Sep 2008, 17:23
Cambridge Aero Club

Extra 200
Firefly
C172 sp

Cambridge Aero Club - Cambridgeshire - Flying Lessons and Flying School (http://www.cambridgeaeroclub.co.uk)

Aerobatic:yuk::eek:
Advanced
Formation

check it out!!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok:

markp123
18th Sep 2008, 17:43
Thanks guys, definately somehting i'm going to consider...doesn't look like it will break the bank either! First pleasant surprise i've had with the cost of something aviation related in a while. :O

Mark

BackPacker
18th Sep 2008, 17:54
Aerobatics can be addictive but, provided that the exercise area isn't too far away, is relatively cheap since your flights are normally relatively short (but plentiful).

Half an hour hanging upside down and experiencing all sort of weird g forces, combined with the mental and physical effort of flying the aircraft truly in 3D is usually enough for me. Add the transit to the practice area (which is about 10 minutes either way) and some taxitime means that my total flight duration is normally about one hour. The flights that were done as part of the aeros competition a few weeks ago were typically 15-20 minutes from engine start to engine stop.

If you get a little experience though, you will also start to fly some of the more exotic types compared to the average spamcan. For starters that means getting a tailwheel endorsement. Plus, a lot of the more capable aerobatics aircraft cannot be rented easily so you'll need to buy a share in a group.

DavidHoul52
18th Sep 2008, 18:20
The one I'm going on doesn't include aerobatic stuff (except for spins)

Chuck Ellsworth
18th Sep 2008, 18:49
Advanced handling courses can be had for how to get the most out of a typical trainer such as a Cub up to the fly by wire glass cockpit in the modern jets.

I used to teach an advanced airplane handling course called " High command control " that we used to train new aerial applicator pilots.

The course did not include aerobatics as aerobatics are not part of aerial application...however after twenty five hours of training in high command control you " will " be able to fly the airplane on its limits safely provided you pass the course.

By the way when I was training pilots for the job of fire bombing we used some of the high command control techniques as part of the training course.

I may get bored soon and start offering the course as a part time hobby sort of thing.

If I use the Cub as a trainer I can get the hourly rate down to about $300.00 Canadian per hour because the Cub is so cheap to operate.

hugh flung_dung
18th Sep 2008, 18:54
It's not too far from Den Haag to Old Sarum ;), so come to us.
Different customers want different "flavours" so courses like this can be tailored to suit what's wanted. Spin recoveries, MRTs, spiral recoveries, stalls, precision approaches, aerobatics - whatever you feel you would benefit most from.

HFD

K.Whyjelly
18th Sep 2008, 20:11
These guys will teach you all you will ever need to know about UP's..........

Ultimate High (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/academy/course_detail.php?id=0028)

Mad Girl
18th Sep 2008, 20:17
An instructor I know.. ;).... once put THIS list up on Pprune as a possible list for advanced training options...

.... and I'm working my way through it.... slowly but surely... :D..

- stalling (all variants and all attitudes),
- unusual attitude recoveries (vertical - nose high/low and inverted)
- Steep turns, MRTs
- erect spins ("academic", from manouevre, precision and high rotational)
- aerobatics (anything within the envelope: aileron/slow/barrel/flick/hesitation rolls, loops, ROT, splitS, cubans, clovers, humptys, wingovers, stall turns, and more)
- PFLs using constant aspect technique
- "point and power" approach techniques
- precision landings
- c/s prop and optimium fuel injection operation
- systems failures
- improved VisNav techniques (Max drift, DI visualisation, SCA)
- improved RadNav techniques (DI visualisation for holds, point-point IF)

Julian
18th Sep 2008, 20:27
Do somehing like that AOPA Basic Aeros course, you will learn a lot about what an aircraft can do, you will cover loads of unusual attitudes (some unintenional :E) and you will come away with more confidence than you went in with.

Oh yeah...and its a bloody good laugh :ok:

J.

Mark1234
19th Sep 2008, 01:03
Just picking up on someone else's post, took the chance to fly Cambridge's extra while I was in the UK a few months back.

DON'T DO IT - it will spoil you for any normal aeroplanes :E:E

Just kidding - truly awesome experience, beautiful aeroplane, and if you can, fly it with Luke (Hall) the CFI. Nice chap, Excellent instructor :ok:

madlandrover
26th Oct 2008, 22:56
As a small aside, it's worth checking that the aircraft you're flying are actually cleared in the POH for the manoeuvres on the course - such as spinning with a lapbelt & shoulder strap rather than the required 4 point harness (C150s/152s apart, of course!). Can be a trifle exciting doing a steeply pitched down spin recovery in certain small T tail trainers without the correct harness. Otherwise it's well worth doing a basic aeros course - or even just ask a local school for some more taxing sessions on short field ops, grass landings, getting steep turns near perfect, etc. You'd be surprised how few of the basic skills are practised post-test. After all, how many self-hirers routinely give themselves a PFL or other mock emergency in the cruise, given today's hire rates??

foxmoth
27th Oct 2008, 07:28
Mad Girls list is pretty much the UH Advanced PPL course, just missing slow flight I think.
Also, if you own your own aircraft you can get a discount on insurance after their course, which must say something for the standard of the course here.:ok: