PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistencies in emergency exit procedures

londonman
14th Sep 2008, 08:16
On a recent return flight from Manchester to Preveza with British Midland Charter I was seated in one of the emergency exit rows. On the seat prior to take-off was an additional 'what to do in the event of...' single sheet of laminated A4 and intended to supplement the pre-takeoff safety briefing and Safety Notice in the seat pocket. So far so good.

Two things I noticed.

1) The wording of the additional A4 sheet leapt from 'hold the door at the bottom' to ' it will tilt towards you from the top'. Nothing about actually removing the cover panel at the top and pulling down. If one followed the A4 sheet to the letter, you wouldn't get out. Am I being pedantic? Sure, it does explain clearly in pictures both on the seat back in front and also above the door itself but I'm one of those sad souls who think that there should be consistency when it comes to matters of safety.

I did mention it in passing to a member of the cabin crew whose response was 'that's what we're here for, sir' (in other words 'shut up, you prat').

2) The onboard safety video states 'the chutes will operate automatically' and yet the Safety Leaflet for the A320 quite clearly shows the passenger pulling a red toggle to operate the chute. Again maybe I'm being too pedantic but then again maybe seconds could be lost while a passenger fumbled for the toggle in blinding smoke ....while the chute had already operated.

Comments welcome. Anyone from British Midland care to comment?

Spitoon
14th Sep 2008, 14:07
Not from BMI, but what the heck....

Can't comment on chute deployment but doesn't the standard briefing card talk about removing the cover panel?

If the A4 sheet is a supplement you need to read the two together.

You might want to consider yourself lucky that you get some additional info in the exit row - many operators don't even give a verbal brief!

If you feel that strongly about it write to someone at Director level in the company with responsibilies for safety.