PDA

View Full Version : Driving licence / flying licence

Fuji Abound
12th Sep 2008, 12:10
A massive 300,000 photo card licences are due to expire in the next 12 months, yet a significant proportion of drivers are unaware that the new photo-style licences require updating every 10 years.

Unlike the superseded paper licence, which was valid 'for life', the new identity card versions feature a 'valid until' date, at which time motorists must shell out an extra £17.50 for a new card. It's thought that a lot of drivers are not aware of this requirement.

Interesting that the Government has not found a way of invalidating the old style driving license granted for life (unless you change address of course, which I guess eventually catches most people) but it would seem EASA intend to abolish the old CAA life licence.

As a holder of a CAA licence for life it still just doesnt sit comfortable with me. The government saw fit through their agents the CAA to give me a licence for life - can they so simply withdraw the licence when they handed over authority to EASA, or is it going to prove more difficult in the same way that they havent withdraw the life time driving licence.

When I was at the CAA very recently the chap told me what ever you do keep your CAA licence - just an idle thought, but it got me wondering whether there is more too this story than meets the idea.

flybymike
12th Sep 2008, 12:21
Don't get me going on EASA and the relentless erosion of our flying freedoms...:mad:

Pilot DAR
12th Sep 2008, 12:30
Hey, In Canada, we're about to be forced to carry a pilot's license, which will be the exact size of a passport, around in our pockets. This will replace the paper license we currently have, which can be neatly folded into one's wallet. My greater concern yet, is that being the holder of two licenses, I may have to carry two of these passports! And yes, they have a term of validity.

Pilot DAR