View Full Version : What are all the pilots from the failed airlines doing?

ShortfinalFred
12th Sep 2008, 09:12
Concerned to know how many UK pilots with CAA/JAA licenses have now been made redundant since the start of this appalling airline cull has begun. Does the CAA keep statistics?

How many CAA/JAA pilots were affected at Maxjet, Silverjet, XL and Zoom for example?

Are people being re-hired and, if so, by whom?

All my sympathies to those affected, an emotion shared, I am certain, by every Professional Pilot today.

throw a dyce
12th Sep 2008, 09:34
You forgot City Star and the one of the HongKong airlines. Oasis was it?

keepitflying
12th Sep 2008, 09:59
Well I'm going to be the first to say that my thoughts go out to the pilots, cabin crew, Staff and family of XL at this very difficult time. Keep your heads up people and may your fortunes change very soon. Good luck and all the best.

jetjockey737
12th Sep 2008, 11:33
A bit of thread creep here I'm afraid but Bolter 152 I would be very surprised if RYR or southwest have balance sheets anywhere near BAs or Air/France or Lufthansas.....

I hope all the ex XL crews manage to find work pretty quickly...good luck to you all!!

atr209
12th Sep 2008, 13:00
nice of sky news to give cawley around 5 minutes of free ryanair promotion time, very sensitive to the xl staff.

captplaystation
12th Sep 2008, 13:11
Didn't stop them using successfully a number of Excel (as it was then before some smart ass tells me it is XL ) pilots over the winter season just a few years ago. . . . selectively short memory methinks.

Mr Angry from Purley
12th Sep 2008, 19:14
ShortFinal
In reality Pilots will get jobs quicker than Cabin Crew and those on the ground albeit perhaps not where they want to be. All the Silverjet Jockeys I believe got jobs, some temp some overseas. Some went to Zoom and XL, not so lucky. Many went to Globespan who knows.

For those on the ground the situation is bleak so with all due respect I wish them well :\

No RYR for me
12th Sep 2008, 20:20
A bit of thread creep here I'm afraid but Bolter 152 I would be very surprised if RYR or southwest have balance sheets anywhere near BAs or Air/France or Lufthansas.....

RYR and Southwest have stronger balance sheets than most tradional airlines :ok:

Bolter152
13th Sep 2008, 23:35
Hi jetjockey737,

Funny to read your comment here, I can't find the post or thread from yesterday..
As from the statement you made, I'm afraid I don't think you're right. It is hard to think of it, and quiet funny too but it is verry simple if you look at the numbers. To only thing that matters at the end of day, is how many profit after tax you made and for how many years you do that. I don't have the exact figures here with me but everytime again if I read in an article the numbers of the past quarter of Ryanair or Southwest and compare that with the numbers presented by BA or an American Airline for example, I just started to believe that Mr MoL might be right. It makes sense too if you think about it. Your cost structure is completely different compared with traditional airlines but you're trunover structure too. At the end you have an absolute higher profit then others, that's beauty of it. It is so simple that it is almost impossible to believe it.

That's why I also think that LCCs get too little respect for what they are (trying) to do. As for us, pilots or future pilots, we have to start by accepting that without complaining, this is a certain evolution and that has been part of life for centuries.

Have a nice night

captjns
14th Sep 2008, 12:24
Aside from other airlines' situionation.

There still are some good opportities out there. From FLYDUBAI to ANA. The immediate heartship is that the office is located a day's trip away from home. Depending of the varied contracts out there, home won't be seen for periods of up to 2 months at a time.

To the men and women, not only at XL, or ZOOM but to all who are temporarily grounded, take a deep breath and rely on your best assets in during this time... best asset being your family.

Good luck to all for you will soon be back in sky.:ok:

MrHorgy
14th Sep 2008, 12:56
I know a lot of Silverjet guys went to Thomas Cook on temp contracts. Wouldn't surprise me if we (RYR) took some of the XL 737 bods either.

Horgy

spaceman18
14th Sep 2008, 15:20
TCX did indeed take quite a few of the silverjet guys on temp contracts, all of which have now been upgraded to permanent positions.

OBK!
14th Sep 2008, 20:18
I believe TCX will be recruiting this winter, also heard of possible command promotions.

londonmet
14th Sep 2008, 22:56
One thing I will say is that the tossers from RYR have confirmed their true low life status by trying to capitalise on the demise of XL. Such a poor operation.

IrishJetdriver
14th Sep 2008, 23:00
If being able to give someone a job, maybe keep their homes etc is being a tosser then I wish there were more of them around.

londonmet
14th Sep 2008, 23:03
Typical RYR mentality. Ruined our industry.

Kempus
14th Sep 2008, 23:37
londonmet you've obviously not seen the Thomas Cook advert? Take a look at that before name calling!

londonmet
14th Sep 2008, 23:38
Link please?

Halfbaked_Boy
15th Sep 2008, 01:20
Londonmet, there are tossers in every corner of the world, Ryanair maybe, but in my opinion they have one of the best business models in the UK, it is FR afterall who I am sure will see this through to the end - I would say, however, what a shame that such a once inspirational industry is very fast turning into what appears a 'survival of the fittest' operation.

Jack

Kempus
15th Sep 2008, 10:01
National newspapers! Try buying one!

Brainstorm
18th Sep 2008, 19:59
Chance of finding a job in the UK, or even Europe today is practically nil. The market is flooded with very experienced pilots.

I know some of the XL boys and girls are applying in the middle east, far east etc. Not easy when you have a family.

merlinxx
18th Sep 2008, 20:27
Covering their arses you numpty:ugh:

phantom menace
18th Sep 2008, 21:52
We've seen it all before in early 90's with the demise of AE & Dan ...Pilots are a resilient bunch they'll bounce back, albeit with a few mental scares.
Look East of Greenwich for a few years anyway - I did.

The Real Slim Shady
18th Sep 2008, 22:48
Look on the bright side londonmet, with an Airbus rating you are well and truly fooked when your lot goes under.

The future's bright, the future's Irish.