PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Cross Country

Rishy
12th Sep 2008, 07:55
Hi Everyone,

I'm 35 hours into my PPL and now at the QXC stage. I'm learning with Northumbria Flying School based at Newcastle International. The QXC route is from Newcastle -> Carlisle -> Durham Tees Valley -> Newcastle. Now, obviously the weather needs to be good at all three locations, but Newcastle and Carlisle are renowned for having differing weather conditions, probably due in part to the high ground between them. I've already had one QXC cancelled and although I'm booked in for tomorrow the weekend's weather doesn't look like it's going to be good enough (though I'm keeping everything crossed). I've heard of QXCs being cancelled 10 or 11 times and that would drive me nuts.

My question is this: with the approval from my flying school, is there any reason why I can't go to another flying school where there is an increased likelihood that the QXC can go ahead? I'm thinking mainly in the South (East) of England where geographical relief doesn't affect the weather as much as where I'm based.

Any guidance and advice on potential schools would great.

Tim

BackPacker
12th Sep 2008, 08:23
My question is this: with the approval from my flying school, is there any reason why I can't go to another flying school where there is an increased likelihood that the QXC can go ahead? I'm thinking mainly in the South (East) of England where geographical relief doesn't affect the weather as much as where I'm based.

Legally you would not even need approval from your flying school. The only legal requirement is to have a number of training hours when you apply for the PPL, but it doesn't matter where you got those hours from (provided that all the paperwork is in order and all hours are accounted for).

But practically speaking you not only have to arrange informal approval from your own school (and you need to be very careful in how you phrase/obtain that - this is the sort of thing that can break a relation very easily) but you also will need to fly a few hours with that other school before they will be confident enough to send you x-country solo. After all, you are now the responsibility of that other school.

That's not even considering different planes, different airspace, booking procedures, faces and so forth.

My advice would be not to try this if it's just for a cross-country. Instead, talk to your employer and arrange that you can have a day off at (very) short notice. Keep track of the weather, if necessary with help of an experienced pilot or instructor. As soon as the weather looks right, book a plane, get your instructors approval and go fly.

Fuji Abound
12th Sep 2008, 08:33
You might have a chance on Saturday, around mid day.

Rod1
12th Sep 2008, 09:28
If you have to finish quick and money is not too critical then go to an approved school in the US or similar. You get almost certain weather and will finish in a few days.

Rod1

Cusco
12th Sep 2008, 09:33
I can appreciate your frustration but I think staying in the area you know, being patient and accepting the frustration of weather intervention in your best laid plans will stand you in good stead for your future flying career in the UK.

It's just not worth the hassle to switch schools for all the reasons outlined above.

Who knows, the Met may be wrong for the next few days and you'll whack off the QXC without problem.

Next week's met. looks good......... any chance you can scrounge time off work Tues/Weds?..............

Good luck

Cusco

Rishy
12th Sep 2008, 11:18
Thanks for the replies people.

No, I certainly don't want to hack anybody off at my current school, they're a good bunch. There's no question that I would prefer to do the QXC in this area as I know the routes/procedures etc.

The time off work thing is something I have considered - my only issue is that I've used up all my holiday entitlement and so don't have any to take before the start of 2009.

I'm only in a rush because I'm going to Australia in November and want to do some flying over there. Not the end of the world if I don't have my licence but it would have been nice.

Cusco - very valid comment! I need to accept that flying in the UK is determined mostly by the weather!! Fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

Tim

BackPacker
12th Sep 2008, 11:25
I'm only in a rush because I'm going to Australia in November and want to do some flying over there. Not the end of the world if I don't have my licence but it would have been nice.

What I've heard about Australia security procedures is that the process to get your foreign license validated there to fly on an AUS-registered airplane, is very, very involved and may take three months in total.

So for all practical purposes you probably will not be able to fly on your own, but only when accompanied by an Australian pilot who will formally be PIC. For that you don't need a license yourself.