PDA

View Full Version : Logging PPL hours in Jeppesen logbook

venkoj
11th Sep 2008, 18:41
Hi all,

I've just bought a new Jeppesen professional pilot logbook and have started transferring my PPL hours. Now this logbook has several more fields to fill in than I am used to so I would first like to check that I am actually doing the right thing.

I am unsure of he following:

1. Single pilot time / Multi pilot time

I presume that all hours flown solo will be logged under single pilot time and the hours flown with an instructor go under multi pilot time?
(I know it sounds obvious but just wanted to check)

2. Pilot function time

My solo hours will obviously go down as PIC time. Would my hours with an instructor go down under Dual time?

If they do go down as dual then my last question is: do they only count towards my TT for CPL purposes or can they be counted as PIC (after all I flew the plane under the supervision of an instructor)?

If they don't count as PIC then I would have around 15 hours PIC following my PPL - does that sound about the right amount to have?

Thanks in advance for all answers!

littco
11th Sep 2008, 19:50
Single pilot - Multi pilot

Multi Pilot time is any time flown on a multi crew aircraft, as part of a multi crew operation, associated with an MCC and a type rating.

Pilot function
Does this read as P1/P2 Dual & Instructor ?

As a PPL you will log time as either P1 or Dual. With P1 being any time you fly as P1 (solo) or P1S (exam). Any time with an instructor will be logged as Dual.

P2 is used for Multi crew flying where you will be flying as a PNF.

Whirlygig
11th Sep 2008, 21:05
I presume that all hours flown solo will be logged under single pilot time and the hours flown with an instructor go under multi pilot time?No, for reasons as stated by Littco.

My solo hours will obviously go down as PIC time. Yes.

Would my hours with an instructor go down under Dual time?Yes.

do they only count towards my TT for CPL purposesYes

or can they be counted as PIC (after all I flew the plane under the supervision of an instructor)?No. The only occasion on which you could is for a licence skill test with an examiner in which case you would log P1/s if you passed, dual if you failed. Therefore, in your logbook you should only have the time on your PPL skill test as P1/s, all your time with an instructor is dual and your solo time (pre and post PPL) is P1; solo meaning you were the sole manipulator of the controls.

If they don't count as PIC then I would have around 15 hours PIC following my PPL - does that sound about the right amount to have?Depending on when you got your PPL but yes, that sounds about right!

I'm disappointed that your school didn't go through this with you!

Cheers

Whirls

potkettleblack
12th Sep 2008, 08:38
A few other tips as well. I have the same jeppy logbook. When you start getting into the sim phase of your training note those hours in the far right column of your logbook BUT make sure that they don't add into your total flying hours as they are only loggable for the purposes of licence issue. You can log the serial number of make and model of the FNTP device if you wish to please the CAA.

Also make good use of the remarks section so that when the CAA is going through your logbook they can follow what you are up to. eg: 300nm x-country, 140 etc.

Get the school to stamp your pages once they are complete or the CFI to sign them off in the absence of a stamp.

Finally don't be afraid to annotate any of the columns to make them work for you. When I started airline flying I have for example annotated the P1 column to be P1/s for the times when the skipper will sign off my flying as acting P1 under his/her supervision.

Good luck.

acuba 290
12th Sep 2008, 13:22
what is actually best time to switch to professional logbook? I am in the middle of ATPL at the moment, haven't started IR, ME or CPL training yet, need some hours HB.

Can I just start start professional logbook after obtaining CPL, just before real job? Do I need than transfer evrything (all flights) then into big logbook ot it will be enough just to write hours?

pipertommy
12th Sep 2008, 14:04
Thought you just copied over your hours totals? No need to write up every flight?

potkettleblack
13th Sep 2008, 08:02
Thats all I did. Copied over the totals from one of those small useless logbooks that I used for my PPL. Made a note on the first page of the new jeppy ogbook that I had carried totals across.

acuba 290
13th Sep 2008, 12:00
what about all flights which was signed, f.e. skill test etc., you can't transfer autogramm, so always send both logbooks to CAA?

moondriver
7th Sep 2010, 06:35
**** it. Log everything including thinking about flying as PIC.

Airbusboy
23rd Sep 2010, 16:24
Hello every one. I tried a search could not find anything relevant. I've got the Jepp JAR-FCL 1.080 requirements log book, and need some help filling it with my PPL hours. The instructions for use gives me a good idea,

I'm unsure about the "grey/shaded" row. That row is left blank, unless simulator time is flown correct?

The "Total from previous pages" and "Total Time". Are those the totals carried on from the previous page?

If any one could PM or show me an example of a filled page I would appreciate it.

Dignerf
23rd Sep 2010, 18:20
Airbusboy, you fill in the shaded rows as normal. They're only shaded to make it easier to follow the rows across the page.

One question I have, which relates to the OP's first question is do I still tick the 'Single Pilot Time SE' box when under instruction (dual) or just leave it blank?

Airbusboy
23rd Sep 2010, 19:18
Thanks Dignerf, I now understood how to fill the whole lot. One thing though, when I log the NAME PIC on my solo flights I write "SELF" correct?

Dignerf
24th Sep 2010, 01:23
Yes, that's correct.

CorsAir2
23rd Oct 2018, 09:56
Hello Everybody.

Same question asked by Dignerf just above: do I still tick the 'Single Pilot Time SE' box when under instruction (dual) or just leave it blank?

Thanks guys...

rudestuff
23rd Oct 2018, 11:31
A manned aircraft can only be single pilot or multi pilot. Dual instruction is a scenario which obviously requires two pilots in an otherwise single pilot machine, but the instructor is only there to provide instruction, not to actually help you operate - so it's a single pilot operation. Log it as single pilot.

CorsAir2
23rd Oct 2018, 22:08
Thanks Rudestuff, clear answer... Appreciated :ok: