PDA

View Full Version : Log book help

liam548
11th Sep 2008, 13:32
It states in my logbook you can record "passenger flying" in the remarks column and leave 1-10 sections blank.

What is all that about? Ive had passenger flights when my brother has been havbing his PPL lessons as we are both at same stage hence I find it useful to watch and listen.

When shoudl "passenger flying" be recorded?

Liam

airborne_artist
11th Sep 2008, 13:34
When shoudl "passenger flying" be recorded?

Whenever you like, but it's purely for interest - it has no bearing on licensing/training hours etc.

liam548
11th Sep 2008, 13:41
also how are the "hours" hours worked out. 0.8 is 50 minutes I take it, .5 = 30 mins 55mins = 0.9hours?

Lister Noble
11th Sep 2008, 14:32
My log book has hours and minutes columns.
Tacho time does not relate to flying hours,where I think .80=1 hour engine.
In our group we are charged on tacho time.
Flying time is when aircraft moves under it's own power on taxi to take off and when I park at the fuel bowser after flying,anyway that's what I log now.
At one time I was logging take off to landing but was told that was not the usual way to log it.
So in fact I probably have a fraction more hours than it shows in the log book!
Lister

BackPacker
11th Sep 2008, 15:00
Tacho time does not relate to flying hours,where I think .80=1 hour engine.

Tacho time is related to the actual RPMs. At a specific RPM (depends on the engine installation and tacho calibration), 1 tacho hour = 1 wall clock hour. Halve that RPM and 1 tacho hour = 2 wall clock hours.

It makes sense to charge based on tacho hours since it's got a strong relation to engine wear/TBO and fuel consumption, which are the two most costly variable costs of an aircraft.

Logging time for logbook purposes is formally from the moment the aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of taking off (so not for the purpose of taxiing to the fuel bowser) to the moment it comes to its final rest after landing.

also how are the "hours" hours worked out. 0.8 is 50 minutes I take it, .5 = 30 mins 55mins = 0.9hours?

Just round up/down to the nearest decimal, yes. Or record everything in hours and minutes. Make a decision and stick to it.

Lister Noble
11th Sep 2008, 16:07
Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Our system for the L4 is that we land and immediately taxi to the fuel bowser at hangar end of runway and shut down.
The L4 max rpm is around 2300,I cruise around 1950-2000 so maybe 0.8 = 1 hour including taxi,run up checks etc?

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Sep 2008, 22:21
For your log book you look at your watch. Start moving to stop moving is x minutes on your watch, that's what you log. Round to nearest five minutes if you like, round to nearest six minutes (0.1 hour) if you like, up to you, nobody else is going to care.

Wessex Boy
12th Sep 2008, 12:21
I only put passenger flights in my log book where I am RHS with a Non-instructor and do a significant amount of the flying. Anything else I don't bother with.

I do not log the actual hours, but as I am a club renter it shows my club that I have additional time in the air in a variety of different aircraft.