PDA

View Full Version : FAA flight training

rafhawk
9th Sep 2008, 20:48
Hi all

I have posted before about FAA training for a Private pilots licence in the USA. Having read other posts on here, i havebeen made aware of the visa that you are requiered to obtain prior to leaving for America.

Here is my situation. If all goes to plan, i would like to go out to America early next spring and stay with my Uncle. Whilst there, i would like to undergo the training, get a class 3 medical and obtain my licence with a friend, who is an FAA certified flying instructor, in my uncles private Beechcraft Bonanza.

I was told that i couldn't train with him to get a JAA PPL as A) he isn't CAA approved and B) The aircraft needs to be approved for flight training purposes.

Can anyone 'shed any light' on this situation?

Thanks

Bill.

julian_storey
10th Sep 2008, 17:56
You won't be able to get a JAA PPL with an FAA instructor in your uncle's aeroplane.

If you get an FAA PPL though, you can come back to the UK and convert it to a JAA one.

To study for the FAA Private written (or any other FAA written) - I would recommend software which you can download from Dauntless Aviation (http://www.checkride.com). It's only about £20 and I used it to get first time passes in FAA Commercial, Instrument and ATP written tests.

Good luck!

nh2301
10th Sep 2008, 18:36
Remember, of course, that there is no need to convert FAA to JAA in the UK.

Aside from that, if you are travelling to the USA for a course of flight training, you will probably need a visa, and that will need a Part 141 flight school.

You'll also need TSA, but any instructor can do that.

rafhawk
10th Sep 2008, 20:27
Thanks for your responses.

Can i also ask somthing.

What do i do as i am not training through a school. i am going to be with a self employed instructor. So can he provide the I-20?

Also,will my uncles N-reg private aircraft be ok for me to train in ?

Thans guys .

Bill

nh2301
11th Sep 2008, 02:09
Only a 141 flight school can issue the I-20 for a visa. They have to be approved by immigration to issue the I-20.

The self employed instructor could do the TSA paperwork (I've done it for a LPR) but that won't let you come into the country legally to study.

A 100-hour inspection would not be required, unless you are paying your uncle to rent the airplane.

Your only choice would be to find a local 141 school to help with the paperwork.

nh2301
11th Sep 2008, 05:18
It's actually very clear:

Except as provided in paragraph
(c) of this section, no person may operate
an aircraft carrying any person
(other than a crewmember) for hire,
and no person may give flight instruction
for hire in an aircraft which that
person provides, unless within the preceding
100 hours of time in service the
aircraft has received an annual or 100-
hour inspection.

During a training flight, Instructor and student are both crew members. The instructor is not providing the airplane, as would be the situation at a flight school.

tbavprof
11th Sep 2008, 05:34
You have to use a Flight School that is Part 141 approved and able to sponsor your visa application and therefore known to the TSA.
You specify the Flight School (who are sponsoring you) on your TSA Alien Flight School submission paperwork. Only need a 141 school if you need the visa to get in the country. If you can get in by visiting your uncle, no need. An independent CFI CAN be the 'school' on the TSA paperwork.

As for whether you can use your uncle's aircraft for flight training. If the aircraft is to be used for flight training a 100 hour Inspection is required which may not currently be happening if it is used for solely private purposes today. FAR 91.409 gives the detail.Again, incorrect. The student is providing (through the good graces of his uncle), the aircraft to be used. No 100-hour inspection required.

The same would apply if after you qualified, if you were to take the aircraft and carry a passenger and you were paying for the fuel etc, the FAA would probably consider it "for hire".Complete, total, and utter b******t! If that were true, 99% of the general aviation flights in the US would require an AOC.

I would assume that he is paying the Instructor for the tuition.
In which case would that not be classed as carrying a person for hire?

:ugh::ugh::ugh: Dude, do they like, speak like, English, in Kalifornistan? The regulations on "for hire" refer to passengers paying the aircraft operator, not the aircraft operator paying someone to fly with him. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Then you need to look at insurance, you say your uncle's aircraft is a Beech Bonanza, that would probably be a complex aircraft and probably high performance (FAR 61.31) and the insurance company might want to increase the premium for it being used for flight training - they would certainly need to know.Just to confirm, a Bonanza would qualify as a high-perf and complex. And yes, the insurance company would be the controlling factor in using the aircraft, not FAA regs. They'll probably want the CFI's make and model time.

And I question the wisdom of taking primary flight training, Part 61, in a doctor-killer.