View Full Version : bmi Regional

chai ja
9th Sep 2008, 07:42
Hi Guys

Interested to know about bmi regional please!

Ive seen they have some 145s on the way at the moment and just wondered what kind of experience you need as an F/O to get a look in.
I can imagine thousands of guys apply but what would make the individual stand out to Recruitment?

I have 400 jet hours on a similarish type in terms of aerodynamics and cockpit displays. 700 Hours total time.

What is the Roster like?
Can you pick which Basing is preferable for yourself? Do they have LHR as a base?

Many thanks
CJ

stop, stop, stop
9th Sep 2008, 11:14
Regional are about to start a course of 6 f/o's. I am not sure if they have any need for more F/o's at the moment.

Re experience: You sound like you have a fair chance. Generally they are not so keen on minimum hours guys. Prefer 500-700 hrs instructing, or similar.

Basing is never going to be set in stone. If you ever get offered a job, you are unlikely to find out your base until just before/during Line Training. LHR is not a base, but a secondment done on volunteers/seniority. MME just announced as new base starting 26 Oct 2008.

Roster is pretty stable though. 8-9 days off per month. Around 2-5 days stby per month (Must be within 1 hr of base airport). Good routes within the UK and to Northern Europe/Scandinavia.

Very much a good airline to cut your teeth on. Time will tell if it can be a career airline though with the potential Lufty/Virgin/something else merger.

Good luck.

SSS

Deep and fast
10th Sep 2008, 09:11
With the base issue you need to think I'm going to get Aberdeen then moving south as your seniority improves (which may take a long time). Anyone thinking any different is likely to be disappointed. Rosters are getting increasingly busy. I did 7 hours 40 mins yesterday in 4 sectors. 80 hours a month at moment no standby and basically a 5 on 2 off roster. Lifestyle airline no longer. On a good note, people are a great bunch a/c good and you can hand fly a bit as well. First rate training also. You'll soon get bored of the routes but heh if you want variety then Netjets is the one to go for. Just hope I get in first.

All the best

D and F :8

woofly31
10th Sep 2008, 13:10
Was the Info from PPJN, also saying another 145 due? Any one know how many guys had been waiting in the pool, early posts were saying some people had been in a long time. Has the course started, or is it a sometime this winter, had heard of the possibility of November, with further interviews possible in the next month or so. :ok:

chai ja
11th Sep 2008, 00:18
Cheers guys!!!
Do you nightstop at all??

Jenson Button
11th Sep 2008, 06:54
do you nightstop...

at the moment with the lhr and mme work we r all doing a few nightstops, some more than others. Charter work often involves a nightstop. so does a trip to the maintenance centre in Portugal - nice if you can get it:E

JB

smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast:cool:

Errol Sinclair
11th Sep 2008, 07:30
Hi folks, do they find that the northern bases are the least popular amongst crew?
Also, If you don't have your preferred base, can you bid for max nightstops and tour?

Many thanks

E

virginpilot1087
11th Sep 2008, 11:13
what you got against the north?? its much cheaper to live up north than the rip of south, especialy starting out in aviation on the low end of the pay scale! move me to the north pole!

Errol Sinclair
11th Sep 2008, 11:56
Err, I do live in the north vp. Thats why I'm hoping they are the least popular bases so that I can stay up here! :ok:
E

Fair_Weather_Flyer
11th Sep 2008, 13:49
Aberdeen is way north and that ain't exactly cheap; ditto Edinburgh!

embraerFObmi
12th Sep 2008, 10:56
ladies

been here a while now in the RHS - and can report its a great little company. Just remember there are only 18 a/c and its run like a flying club - then you will be fine! dont expect an amazing crewing department like in a bigger airline like Easyjet and you wont be disappointed.

That said the lifestyle agreement has helped improve the quality of life and rostering rules. The Emb 145 is great fun and an excellent first jet job as you are still involved in the flying (i.e no autothrottle or VNAV linked to the A/pilot) Some of the bases are performance restricted (take off weight & landing weight) so its good to learn in this environment and appreciate the limitations - when was the last time u checked the performance for a Cessna 152 eh!?

Aberdeen is going to be your base - if you approach it this way then you may be pleasantly surprised to get somewhere else! Nearly all FOs i know including myself have done 6 months at ABZ.

LHR is a temporary secondment done on seniority - you have no chance as its over subscribed by 20 FOs every year.

Another A/C is on the way and another 2 next year if the inside info is correct.

6 FOs started this month and i reckon more interviews soon as we are mega stretched at the moment. We are all working hard (did 700 plus hours last year).

Covering more and more mainline airbus routes as they are focusing on charters/mid haul routes. Going to be a busy winter here.

Regards

BMI FO

woofly31
12th Sep 2008, 11:19
Great Info...:ok: By chance do you know if the current course of 6 is the only one planned to cover the one new delivery plus anyone leaving for mainline,Baby or something else? Or will there be another soon regardless of any new acft joining the fleet? I believe there are still people in the Pool.

embraerFObmi
12th Sep 2008, 12:23
woofly

very amusing! no transfers to baby for years and mainline are one or 2 a year - the last 6 up for transfer to mainline had their start dates cancelled.

i understand the recruitment therefore is due to attrition as guys are leaving for Cathay and BA etc and some are going onto corporate jets (Legacy operators)

There maybe more FO positions soon due to upgrades to captains, however i dont know how many people are swimming in the holding pool.

regards

FO bmi

woofly31
12th Sep 2008, 13:00
:ok: Rumours of a mass move,lol... probably from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knew a guy that meet a guy who knows an EGPD cleaners mates sister.... :)

Errol Sinclair
12th Sep 2008, 13:15
Thanks for the info embraerFObmi, will keep fingers crossed! :)

E

LKMflyboy
12th Sep 2008, 22:06
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the 'new' Embraer due in October is allegedly only going to replace one of the currently leased a/c - it will not be for fleet expansion.

LKM

embraerFObmi
12th Sep 2008, 23:07
lkm - no worries your not the bearer of bad news dont worry! your info is not correct - sorry.

we understand that non of our a/c are leased. infact the last one that was leased has been purchased by bmi (GCCYH) and re-registered under a new name (GRJXR). All our a/c are owned by bmi now. None are returning to any lease companies.

you may have heard that our spare/maintenance aircraft is now being used full time - we arent losing any units.

indeed the new aircraft we are getting are the ex baconnect/flybe planes that are being returned to embraer by march 2009 inline with their fleet conversion.

hope this clarifies any rumours -

regards

FO bmi

woofly31
13th Sep 2008, 12:11
All sounds positive there. :ok: Is it true that EGNV will be confirmed as a Regional crew base for the EGLL route. Have crews been asked to relocate or will a number be new crew? I see Jersey has also been mention as an Embr service. All good news for bmir.:)

super ted123
14th Sep 2008, 16:58
Hi,

I am a swimmer in the pool and have been for over a year now.

Quite disappointed to hear 6 guys taken on when I have been swimming so long and had hoped they were to help cover mainline airbus down south with a few more guys being required to man the new ac.

I am looking elsewhere now as it feels like the bmi dream aint never going to happen

Anyone know where the 6 came from? Was it all last minute, very short notice? I have a three month notice period as do most of they guys in a flying job at the moment.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Regards,

Ted

Deep and fast
14th Sep 2008, 17:15
Think you will find Ted it was a "can you start monday" type of scenario.
IMHO I think they were trying to get through to the winter schedule under crewed to save costs and found out they couldn't.

Not sure FO is correct in his info. G CCYH now RJXR was a leased A/C that they secured an extended 3 year lease on. It is not owned by bmi. This info was in an e mail from DFOp's. All the others are owned though. Ex Flybe A/C were sold to an american consortium through Airstream and I expect it to one of those that comes soon.

All you swimmers take to first job flying that anybody offers because you never know when the next one will come your way.

Don't be a jet snob!!!

Regional is a good start in aviation so good luck to all out there.

embraerFObmi
14th Sep 2008, 19:28
deep and fast - did we buy the flying simulator or extend the lease? (GCCYH) I may be incorrect then?? - but i thought i read somewhere that we bought the heap??

regards

FO bmi

super ted123
14th Sep 2008, 21:03
Hi D and F,

Thanks for your reply.

Dont worry ;) I have a great flying job and its secure, even in the present climate so I am pretty happy where I am. Im certainly not a jet snob but I do realise I cant do this for ever.

Bmi would be perfect for me and I have had high hopes for over a year now.

I had thought it was a case of holding out and working the crews a little harder. Its just very frustrating for me and other friends in the pool who passed the selection a long time ago to be left behind. If the company could only plan ahead, three months in fact :} that would give us guys who have been working hard and have relevant flying experience a chance to get in.

I appreciate they owe us nothing and airlines cant always plan ahead three months, the one I work for cant plan next week!

Those left in the pool, who joined it a long time ago will just have to keep going and I for one will keep my fingers crossed for a call or at least an update from the company to let us know if theres any point having hopes for a course later this year.

Good luck to all the new guys though, what a great start they have made.

Regards,

Ted

woofly31
15th Sep 2008, 09:31
Hi super Ted.

I know of one of the lucky 6... was a last minute call :ok:

Dude15
15th Sep 2008, 10:18
bmi regional have 3 leased A/C:

G-RJXR (G-CCYH), signed a new 3 year deal at the beginning of the year, and the other 2 are G-RJXO and G-RJXN. The company will be looking at replacing XO and XN as they are on very expensive lease agreements, if they ever get some of the Flybe 145s.

LKMflyboy
18th Sep 2008, 18:26
Dude15 you are right. The ex LOT a/c are the ones that will be swapped in the near future to be replaced by a/c on cheaper lease deals. Not only will the leases be cheaper, but XN and XO are rather heavy, being fitted with reversers and therefore exhibit higher fuel burn - not something that goes down well in the current environment!

FlyingApe
24th Sep 2008, 17:00
Thred creep, but:-

LKMflyboy. XO and XN might be heavier with their thrust reversers, but that is only by 300kg or so. I flew XO this morning, and it burnt no more fuel than any other aircraft we operate. On the short sectors we fly, more fuel is wasted due to the poor ATC route structure into the Scottish TMA forcing us down early from cruise altitude - eg FL260 by Margo or NEW and FL70 by Tartn.

O and N are both "MP" versions, and do have the advantage of a higher MZFW and a higher MLW.

Ape

LKMflyboy
24th Sep 2008, 20:36
FlyingApe - totally agree with what your saying, the comments about fuel saving were meant to be rather tongue in cheek - the best way to reduce fuel burn is to reduce track miles - I was merely relaying the comments of the engineers!

LKMflyboy
26th Sep 2008, 09:53
No more recruitment expected for the foreseeable future, so we're told, but who knows what will happen!

Don't think any of the new joiners have been given bases yet, but I would expect them to be ABZ or possibly MME - it depends how many current base bids can be met, and how many existing FO's want to go to MME!

LKMflyboy
26th Sep 2008, 22:34
I believe the interview is still tech exam and chat, but maybe someone who's been through the process recently will be able to give you a definite answer.

Not sure where the sim will be as the only EMB145 sim left in Europe is located in Paris... maybe it will be on another type?

Deep and fast
27th Sep 2008, 09:37
You may find the job is on another type also. Props to skatsta!

D and F:8

embraerFObmi
27th Sep 2008, 10:34
deep and fast

props to skasta??? are they taking on the flightline contract? heard that rumour ages ago and nothing came of it. you got any new info then!? feel free to private message me.

the sim in manc is no more now - apparently replaced by an A320 sim. our LPCs are in Paris, but i understand there is a sim in zurich too. So i guess you guys will be going there for assessments unless they find another sim type to assess you on?

good luck anyway and welcome to aberdeen....you may want a warm sweater for the winter walk rounds at 6am in the dark!

bmi FO

Jet22
28th Sep 2008, 11:08
Just a quick question, Where are BMI Regional Bases at?
One would assume EDI LBA MAN and ABZ.

Any do any of the other pilot bases operate each others flighs from example LBA one day operate the EDI-BRU run?

Happy Wanderer
28th Sep 2008, 16:06
I thought the bases were (north to south): ABZ, EDI, GLA, LBA, MAN and EMA. Are all these pilot bases?

Not totally sure where MME fits in and whether the LHR routes are operated by Regional or Baby/mainline.

Anyone care to shed any light?

Many thanks,

VHW

FlyingApe
28th Sep 2008, 22:47
MME is to be a new pilot base I believe. LHR is a psudo-base. Due to unionagreements no Regional staff to be based at LHR, so all on secondment. Don't know how long it will last though!

At the moment you will ALWAYS end up covering other bases. We have people running all over the place- no one knows if their comimg or going!. Last weekend I was driving to ABZ, this weekend in LHR, Also covening MAN next week.

Off to bed now, totally knackered. Close to minimun rest again!

FA

Happy Wanderer
29th Sep 2008, 09:56
Cheers FA,

Sounds manic. Hope you slept well by the time you read this :)

HW

ABO944
16th Oct 2008, 14:14
http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=z1pk5yq44f9q7mbhgjvts75sktxq7b5x0f4v3fqykmbg vahzk2f

Any truth to the update above ?

Paper Lad
16th Oct 2008, 14:56
ABO944,

It would appear so, first aircraft due end of Oct '08. This is an ex BACON/Flybe unit and programmed to be the maintenance spare, but I guess it will be fully utilised in the near future.

Command upgrades are currently in training and the company is defo under crewed at the mo, even taking into account the reduced flying programme for winter.

woofly31
16th Oct 2008, 15:02
Was the rumour of another 6 new F/Os starting this monday the August intake starting line training. Or a fresh intake. :ok:

Paper Lad
16th Oct 2008, 18:03
woofly31,

I am led to believe that they were a new intake but I could be wrong:hmm:

King Chav
20th Oct 2008, 12:08
Hi gang

Anyone know the latest on recruitment ? When's the next interviews planned?

Cheers big ears!

woofly31
23rd Oct 2008, 18:13
Any more news re courses. I have heard there will be more acft going south to london, and another 145 going to Leeds, and also EGNV getting a 145. Are these 3 new ex flybe/Bacon 145s being used for this? or are acft being moved from other bases along with crews.:ok:

stop, stop, stop
25th Oct 2008, 00:18
All we know so far is one more 145 joining us in a few days.

MME base is currently crewed.

Total of 3 courses of 6 F/o's planned (first course is upto Line training so far)

I don't know if the second and last course have names to put to the numbers, but I would guess so at this stage.

Hope this helps,

SSS

PaulW
25th Oct 2008, 14:21
I believe that aircraft left Exeter at 1600lcl last night and is in the Aberdeen hangar right now. Ex BA Connect/Flybe.

North Stand Tier3
25th Oct 2008, 15:53
EMBN left Exeter yesterday, one more to follow next month

woofly31
25th Oct 2008, 16:00
Thanks for the update:ok:

WF31

bri1980
25th Oct 2008, 16:18
Hi guys, I've been called for an interview in 2 weeks time. Is it still an interview with tech exam and sim check at Manchester?

Thanx

A friend has a sim assessment with bmi regional soon. I can confirm that his assessment is in a 737-500 sim in London.

B

Fly Better!
27th Oct 2008, 20:18
Do they need any Captains at Leeds? I'm an ex BMI regional captain maybe looking for work. Thanks for info.

stop, stop, stop
27th Oct 2008, 21:40
To be honest, I wouldn't hold your breath for any Direct Entry Commands for the immediate future. With the slow recruitment of the past year or so, there are many F/o's who have passed their command assesment and awaiting a Command.

Still, things are changing faster than us 'mortals' can keep up with!

BMI have a history of taking Direct Entry Left Seat so I wouldn't give up all hope, just don't make any plans around it!

SSS

Deep and fast
28th Oct 2008, 08:07
Some Captains just moved to Leeds so no chance. Abz seems to be new joiners place to start now. Agree with fact that there are plenty of FO's looking to upgrade. Not sure they like leavers coming back after leaving the fold.
:8
D and F

Fly Better!
28th Oct 2008, 09:44
I know of one guy who left and came back twice. Surely if they need pilots they would take a type rated guy with line experience over somoen who has neither .........

Maybe not though :}

RAFAT
28th Oct 2008, 22:53
Fly Better! - only one way to find out for sure, email BH or JB and ask.

Fly Better!
28th Oct 2008, 23:00
Should the need arise I will :)

flying macaco
29th Oct 2008, 12:55
BBC NEWS | Business | BMI being taken over by Lufthansa (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7697261.stm)

Any news from the inside on what this means to regional?? In particular, to people in the hold pool...

flyhigh2fly
29th Oct 2008, 15:01
Flybe/BMI regional merge?

Who knows right?, speculation or some truth...

Only the future will tell

woofly31
29th Oct 2008, 19:01
Anyone at bmir heard anything after today's news:confused:.....

angelorange
29th Oct 2008, 19:38
Who knows what will happen next year but if LH want to change bmi Regional's name or just it's operation to something like LH Cityline perhaps they'll ask all applicants to sit the DLR test in Hamburg to get a job in the UK!

The good news about the German outfit is the use of the latest Regional jets (CRJ900) and until recently they paid for your type rating and then gave you 17,000 Euros after 2 years as a loyalty bonus.

Now that's an interesting bond arrangement.

stop, stop, stop
30th Oct 2008, 09:42
Personally, I believe that for maybe the next year not much will change. BMI will still be BMI, Regional still Regional.

I can't see the BMI brand being broken up and discarded very quickly (if at all) and so if you are in the hold pool, you will most likely stay there until called for a job!

Hopefully, LH will bring with them some new ideas and a bit of cash to start some more routes. There are still plenty of Flybe/Bacon EMB's to be had at a good price so I would put my money on some more recruitement early next year.

Most employees of Regional at least see this deal as a positive one. After all we are the best performing section of the group, apparently. I am sure those who will be most affected are the Upper to Middle pen pushers. I also can't see HQ Aberdeen remaining either.

Just my t'pence worth.

SSS

mad_bob
30th Oct 2008, 10:22
All the flybe 145`s were sold months ago, a number of them have been leased back by the company until they can be replaced by Q400`s.

S44
30th Oct 2008, 10:53
Not so long ago, JF was on Bloomberg TV saying that Flybe are still on the look out for further takeover targets in the regional sector.... maybe if LH wants to recoup some of the £318m its paid for BMI, it might be interested in off loading BMI regional to the likes of Flybe

diarmuid8
30th Oct 2008, 12:03
For all you people in the BMI Regional holding pool, I've recently been called to interview so they are either gonna empty the current pool OR keep filling it up with the likes of me (should I be accepted that is!)
Anyone else been called by Regional lately?

Flatspin_Fumble
30th Oct 2008, 16:59
No reason why Flybe could not get rid of the BMI Regional EMB 145 's, like they did at BA Connect - it may explain why Flybe still have a load more Q 400's yet to come.

oapilot
31st Oct 2008, 14:16
No reason why Flybe could not get rid of the BMI Regional EMB 145 's, like they did at BA Connect

True, but sadly, Flybe's retirement of the 145 at Connect, together with Jimbo's unskillfully worded welcome letter which ran along the lines of "if you don't like what we fly #### off" resulted in the loss of a very high proportion of experienced crews.

Timing and market conditions would make it harder for BMIR guys to get out if they wanted to, but rumour has it that the Dash's are going to be slower arriving than originally planned, so there may not be a particularily fast transition to the Q400.

You never know, Jimbo may have even learned some additional man management skills beyond FIFO, so that crews would actually feel motivated to stay....

Whatever, good luck to all the BMIR boys and girls for the future and hope you get a firm plan asap.

OAP

Jenson Button
31st Oct 2008, 17:20
My goodness me, the armchair critics already have us sold off to Flybe. Highly unlikely that regional would be flogged to the likes of Flybe (who are in bed with London Airways). More likely that regional gets into bed with Lufthansa Regional in some form or another. Swiss were not carved up to help the opposition so unlikely that regional/bmi will too ?? Besides, Lufty have positioned themselves to be a business orientated airline...oh yes and so too have regional....albeit smaller scale ! Of course it might all change tomorrow.

As for recruitment, expect things to be a bit quiet until the takeover stuff has all been sorted out. but you never know.......

JB

ps sunning myself on the beach before I race at the weekend. who the ells that chap hamilton anyhow.:ok:

Flatspin_Fumble
31st Oct 2008, 19:43
Actually, Jenson, it was an article in The Scotsman newpaper published yesterday which had prompted speculation. What ever happens, frankly, is out with our control. I wish all the guys at BMI, Baby, and Regional all the very best in these somewhat uncertain times, I have quite a number of friends working in all three divisions of Midland.

oapilot, as an ex member of BA Connect, myself, I have no problem working for Flybe whatsoever, perhaps JF's letter 18 months ago was to the point, but at least he put his cards on the table and you know where you stand. Slightly of thread, for me Flybe works well , I have a stable roster, we operate modern eco friendly aircraft and we make money for the Company. Anyway, I am not prepared to enter into a debate, but wish all at BMI well.

oapilot
1st Nov 2008, 15:25
Flatspin, glad you are happy, and I know quite a few who are the same as you.
Was merely pointing out that (IMHO), I don't see Flybe going down the route of buying a jet based regional operation in the hope retaining crews (market conditions aside) as they migrate them to tprops. I stand by my comment that the letter caused a lot of pilots who were undecided, to get away as quickly as possible. Without BAs £100m bung, the aquisition would not have been a good move, and I suspect LH would not be quite so willing to hand out cash.
BMIR seems to be a very viable and successful regional operator, and hopefully LH will want to have a regional presence in the UK which will hopefully be good news for all those at BMIR.
oap

woofly31
1st Nov 2008, 17:15
Any more news regarding recruitment, recent and pending interviews and the rumoured TR courses. Or has it all been halted due the lufty deal?

Flatspin_Fumble
1st Nov 2008, 17:16
oap, Yes there are a lot of happy and contented guys who came to Flybe from BA Connect, and they were a few who went to BACF, Netjets and Globespan and I am sure they are all happy with their decision. I agree, with you 100% that without BA's bung as you call it, for £100 million, which, acording to the Financial Times, was closer to £150 million by the time BA had agreed to cover the BRAL pension deficit, without that I guess the deal would have fallen through and BA would have been facing, I believe, about £450 million in closure costs. Anyway, its all water under the bridge now!

We shall see, over the coming months what happens to BMIR etc, and as I said earlier, I wish the best for all concerned.
FF

RAFAT
1st Nov 2008, 18:31
Let's not forget that before bmi Regional became British Midland Commuter they were a successful little independant outfit called Business Air.

Yellow Sun
1st Nov 2008, 18:54
they were a successful little independant outfit called Business Air.

Err...successful? They were close to going out of business!

YS

Count von Altibar
2nd Nov 2008, 01:48
It seems regional will soon be Flybe, thanks to SMBs recent put option

Mister Geezer
2nd Nov 2008, 07:14
Well something must be going on since SMB was observed lurking around Aberdeen a few months ago.

An interesting comparison to use is Air Dolomiti which is a regional airline that has been wholly owned by Lufthansa since 2003. One significant aspect is that all the Italian domestic routes have disappeared and Air Dolomiti is purely a feeder for Lufthansa. If Regional is to exist in the Lufthansa empire then this is bound to be the shape that it takes and this will potentially see a major change to its current route network. If Regional can play an active role in helping to feed the the bmi/Lufthansa network then there could be a role for Regional. With MAN probably being the exception, bmi Regional operate no routes of their own that help to compliment bmi Mainline/Lufthansa so expect big changes if Regional is to stay!

However whilst there might be a glimmer of hope for Regional, I suspect that Baby is a foregone conclusion and it will not be staying in the Lufthansa network.

Merchant Banker
2nd Nov 2008, 11:26
Yippee! That means Dash 8s for us if we are lucky enough!

Joy :ugh:

solo si 2
2nd Nov 2008, 13:03
Mr Geezer,

Why do you think that BMIbaby is a foregone conclusion regarding not being part of the Lufthansa network? We are all speculating at the moment and trying to second guess what may happen regarding this take over!

SMB may run 'Baby' on his own, especially with the selling of his shares and being cash rich. Nobody knows what may or may not happen! I'm sure we will find out in due course, probably next year I would imagine.

I just hope that we all get to keep our jobs no matter who owns us!

Mister Geezer
2nd Nov 2008, 16:30
If bmi baby could be used to increase traffic flow to LHR, FRA or MUC then it could have a significant role to play. After all, if it cannot directly compliment and feed the Lufthansa/bmi mainline network then why would Lufthansa wish to continue with bmi baby?

I have friends in both Regional and baby and I hope both both parties prosper from this deal. I rate baby highly as a low cost airline and they do deserve to do well so I hope my prognosis does not turn out to be accurate! :ok:

stop, stop, stop
3rd Nov 2008, 04:22
My understanding is that one of the next two EMB's due to join us over the next few weeks has been cancelled.:sad:

Have heard that a 'freeze' is in place for all expansion etc within the BMI group. Hardly surprising.

Personally I hope/believe that BMIR will be kept as a UK based feeder airline into LHR, CGN, MUN and FRA to serve Luftys current and future routes. They seem to be doing well with Air Dolomiti. Lets hope Regional get the same treatment.

SSS

woofly31
3rd Nov 2008, 14:01
How many new Aircraft were planned, was it 2 or 3? And is there sufficient crew for these additions. Peple have been posting that they have interviews in the comming weeks, or have just been interviewed and awaiting a sim assesment. Will the current Pool be used up to cover current crew and operational requirements at bmir?

stop, stop, stop
3rd Nov 2008, 14:27
Rumour has it...3 were planned. 1 has arrived (G-EMBN), 1 knocked on the head and no news yet on the third.

I really don't know about recruitment though. Seems as though BMIR are still a little undercrewed (though the powers that be will tell you otherwise) Everyone is pretty busy, 6 new F/o's about to hit the Line. Haven't heard about the other 2 (?) planned courses though.

Things tend to happen at the last minute (don't they always!) and so if you are in the holding pool and REALLY want to work BMIR then just make sure you keep your options open and your phone on. Have heard that many new recruits (past and present) have been asked to start within a week or so, but it's anybodys guess really just if and/or when.

SSS

woofly31
3rd Nov 2008, 14:51
Thanks for the update sss. :ok:

RAFAT
4th Nov 2008, 11:23
It seem to me that throughout bmi Regional's entire existence that their requirements in terms of crew and aircraft have always conflicted with bmi Group policies. Whenever they need more of either they're prevented from having them. Perhaps they would be better off out of the bmi Group.

I can confirm sss's theory on lastminute decisions, I know several people (including myself) who have been contacted as little as 1 week before the required start date.

bleed leak
4th Nov 2008, 12:37
It seem to me that throughout bmi Regional's entire existence that their requirements in terms of crew and aircraft have always conflicted with bmi Group policies. Whenever they need more of either they're prevented from having them. Perhaps they would be better off out of the bmi Group.

Humm, well not the full picture. If they were still independent (assuming they had survived as Business Air which I think would NOT have been the case) they'd still be flying props to Shetland and night freights...joy

The problem with the short notice is nothing to do with Bmi and everything to do with Regional management. :ugh:

I'd assume things will stay a little quiet for the next few months until the dust settles.

woofly31
5th Nov 2008, 13:36
Any more news from the Regional camp. Has the next 145 from Flybe been just delayed or has it been cancelled. Believe the Pool will be swimming for a while. With the Long Haul meeting at Manchester today turning out as expected, mainline seem to be moving on with it's plans regardless of the lufty deal.

Rob's Dad
5th Nov 2008, 13:55
Thinking those of us swimming should form an email group so we can keep each other informed of factual developments. If you're interested please PM me.

EvilDutyChanger
7th Nov 2008, 11:52
"dont expect an amazing crewing department like in a bigger airline like Easyjet and you wont be disappointed"

Presumably EmbraerFo , you have worked for Easy Jet before?

woofly31
13th Nov 2008, 15:45
Did any of the recent interviews go ahead, and have you guys been given a sim date etc....

woofly31
18th Nov 2008, 14:48
Any further news from the bmir camp, any sign of movement?

flying macaco
22nd Nov 2008, 13:42
what's the craic?? any news from anyone at the bmir camp regarding interviews/sim checks?

thanks

King Chav
22nd Nov 2008, 21:25
Probably more news in January after the Lufty takeover.

suitcaseman
24th Nov 2008, 11:32
This is almost certainly so, especially the E135 operated by BMI regional. Flybe are already well into the process of phasing out their E145.

The only thing in the E145's favour is possible low aquistion or leasing costs; you can genrally get pretty good deals as aircraft approach the end of their usefull life cycle.

oceanhawk
24th Nov 2008, 13:14
Or the Embrears could be repositioned to operate the routes dropped by Lufthansa Cityline. When i flew the 145 some 3 years ago we always knew that the EMB was a lot cheaper to operate than the CRJ. Regoinal have worked for Lufthansa before with the 146 and 145. Now they own the controlling share anything is possible.

woofly31
24th Nov 2008, 14:00
Have seen articles relating to Lufthansa having orders for more CRJ900s and the new C series, possible replacements for the CRJ200.... Both would look very nice in bmi colours.:ok:

woofly31
2nd Dec 2008, 09:44
Any further news comming out of bmi regional,with the Flybe rumours bouncing around:eek:.

horsebox
12th Dec 2008, 17:06
This story from the dailymail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1090628/Flybe-talks-buy-bmi-British-Midland.html) a little while back which may influence current recruitment plans..

"The UK's biggest regional airline, Flybe, is in talks about acquiring bmibaby and bmi regional, both part of British Midland, where Germany's Lufthansa is taking majority control.

Flybe, part of private group Walker Aviation, is carrying out due diligence on the two businesses that account for about 40 per cent of British Midland's turnover and could be worth up to £150 million."

flying macaco
12th Dec 2008, 20:43
Not the most reliable paper...but who knows. Would be more convincing if they gave relevant quotes from the people in charge.

Strange how this was pretty much the only coverage of this event - all other media reports simply reference this one as far as I can tell.

Hope the mysteries of Lufthansa/BMI/Flybe/Virgin are revealed soon!

bizjetbus
13th Dec 2008, 10:48
The online application does not seem to work. Could anyone confirm if this email address "[email protected]" is the one to send CV to?

Thanks.

bjb

Rob's Dad
13th Dec 2008, 11:48
Stolen this from another thread but I tend to give more credence to the following report:

December 11, 2008: CHICAGO -(Dow Jones)- Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA.XE) said Thursday that it is not in serious talks with Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. about potential cooperation over British Midland Airways Ltd., or bmi, in which the German airline is in the process of buying a majority stake.
The German flag carrier also said it had the capacity to absorb more acquisitions and strategic stakes on top of the various ones it has made in Europe and the U.S. in recent months.
"From a management point of view, we can do much more," Wolfgang Mayrhuber, Lufthansa's chairman and chief executive, said at an industry event in Chicago.
Expressions of interest in some sort of cooperation or tie-up between bmi and Virgin Atlantic have not led to serious negotiations, said Klaus Walther, Lufthansa's senior vice president corporate communications.
"We want to find out what [Virgin] wants," noted Walther. He said it would be "logical" to integrate bmi into the Lufthansa group, adding that "there are other options."
Lufthansa is set to lift its stake in bmi, which focuses on short- and medium- haul flights in Europe, from 30% minus one share to 80% next month.
Europe's second-largest carrier by traffic after Air France-KLM SA (3112.FR), Lufthansa recently has expanded through the acquisition of Swiss International Airlines and a 45% stake in Brussels Airlines, with a pending deal to take a 41.6% share in Austrian Airlines (AUA.VI). It has a 19% stake in JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU), a low-fare U.S. carrier.
Lufthansa has also been linked with taking a stake in SAS Scandinavian Airline Systems, and is keeping an eye on the restructuring of Italian flag carrier Alitalia (AZA.MI).
Mayrhuber said Lufthansa's model eschews outright mergers: "Our concept is a modular one. It's like a planetary system that works together."
He said complete integration brings "dis-synergies." Lufthansa prefers an approach he described as "one kitchen, several restaurants".
Nigel Turner, bmi's chief executive, declined to comment on the prospect of any deal with Virgin Atlantic.
-By Doug Cameron, Dow Jones Newswires

Of course, could just be positive reinforcement/wishful thinking on my part but why sell off the profitable element of bmi.

mikehammer
13th Dec 2008, 15:16
Bizjetbus

That is the correct email address, but you have to fill in (very carefully, having read the accompanying instructions) their pdf application form. They also want a passport photo attached in, I think, jpg format. There is a link, which they send you, to a geocities webpage, from where you can download their form. I don't have it any more, sorry. It might be worth asking them on that email address if they wouldn't mind sending you the link, but I don't know if they'll reply. Maybe phone them up and ask for the link to the form?

The form is quite ambiguous in the section relating to referees and previous employment, I guess I got it wrong, because I heard nothing more from them having been invited to apply. Their loss, you have to enter into an agreement to repay a loan covering the cost of your rating, over 5 years. I can't remember the monthly sum but it was somewhere in the region of £150 to £200, so I wasn't really bothered when I didn't hear back. Got enough debt as it is!

latchkeykid
17th Dec 2008, 02:18
whats the starting pay like ?

mikehammer
17th Dec 2008, 08:27
Off the top of my head, mid twenties ish plus flight pay making it towards late twenties or thirty. It's a personal finance thing, but not enough return for the investment in type training, unless you're desperate to be into a jet and can afford to carry the loan to another higher paid job, should there be one. If so you're considerably richer than I!

Apologies, out of date info, see below for more up to date picture.

LKMflyboy
17th Dec 2008, 14:00
latchkeykid

Starting salary is just about £34k plus flight pay (about £4k). All pilots will be asked to enter into a self-sponsored type rating agreement. £2000 will be required up front and then the rest (another £10k) is deducted from salary at £2k per year for five years - that's a monthly figure of £167.

woofly31
24th Apr 2009, 13:07
Any truth behind the rumour that bmir have won the contract for the Airbus Chester Flights from Eastern? :confused:

Better to remain...
25th Apr 2009, 12:47
Woofly,

Where did you hear this rumour? Good source?

cruiseczechs
26th Apr 2009, 07:41
:D I understand that an official anouncement has yet to be made, but that bmir are now the "preferred bidder".

woofly31
26th Apr 2009, 14:50
Hi

The rumour is on the Eastern thread on the Airlines and Routes forum. :ok:

woofly31
29th Apr 2009, 11:47
So it appears the bmir, Chester rumour is taking pace. If this does go ahead how do they look crew wise for the extra aircraft if they do arrive. A july start date is not far off if people need to be trained.:ok:

flying macaco
29th Apr 2009, 14:38
Nice for a rare bit of good news. Hoping the pool gets a look in soon... ;)

irishone
29th Apr 2009, 19:12
Got an email from BMI saying that they are starting recruitment for FO's, attached was the link to fill out all the forms. The link didnt work!! Says the site is no longer in use.
Anyone else get this?
Does anyone have another link for the forms they want to give me...pretty please?! :)
Emailed back to BMI but waiting for a reply.

DOUBLE D
29th Apr 2009, 20:18
Does anybody know if they are looking for captains?
Looking for a job back in Uk and have 5000hrs + on 145

Deep and fast
29th Apr 2009, 21:19
No DE captains for sure. They took too many last time and the high hour FO'S would be far from happy! Soz

woofly31
30th Apr 2009, 11:14
With a rumour of Recruitment and interviews a possibility. Anyone else had a reply idicating this? Hope its good news for those swimming in the pool.:ok:

oapilot
30th Apr 2009, 13:02
No DE captains for sure. They took too many last time and the high hour FO'S would be far from happy! Soz

Any idea if the intention is to empty the pool first, or would they be interested in rated current FOs too? Have an application in, but not in the pool.

Ta, and good luck to all

oap

Deep and fast
30th Apr 2009, 14:26
Just remember any new recruits you may end up north of the border for some time :ooh:

D and F

flying macaco
30th Apr 2009, 14:28
I'll take the highroad...

silverknapper
30th Apr 2009, 16:06

With 5000 hrs on the machine I would give it a try.

Jenson Button
30th Apr 2009, 16:16
I'd echo Deep & Fasts comments, unlikely to be any DECs for some time, Mgment keen to promote from within. Reasonable number of high houred f/o's waiting to fill the left seat, esp with crews doing in excess of 700 hours a year.

Good luck though

Jenson

stop, stop, stop
30th Apr 2009, 16:45
700 hrs a year?? Not sure which BMI Regional you're working for! I haven't passed 550 for the past few years!

Defo no external Captain recruitment....

You could be 90% sure of getting ABZ as a base....

I'm not sure what loyalty any companies have to people in a hold pool, especially when there are type rated guys out of work.....

Best of luck to all of you :ok:

Jenson Button
30th Apr 2009, 19:31
"700 hrs a year"

Have a chat to the Manc lads....there are a few others too who have done those hours.

Jenson:cool:

Bring on Europe I say, stuff Massa and the Ferraris.

woofly31
30th Apr 2009, 21:01
If the Chester thing goes ahead, any ideas of how it would operate. Would it be a base in its own right or dual based with Manchester? Any further rumours about these extra aircraft for the airbus work? All sounds pretty positive.:ok:

Aerofoil
30th Apr 2009, 21:33
I'd hope that the bmi baby pilots who were made redundant would be considered ahead of any pilots in the hold pool or rated ones!

Deep and fast
1st May 2009, 06:51
I think Lba and East mids have more relaxed annual totals, everywhere else can see you working hard. 80 hours this month for me.

D And F

Firestorm
1st May 2009, 07:07
Aerofoil: pretty unlikely!

woofly31
1st May 2009, 10:39
Any rumour from inside the camp yet with regard to the Airbus gig? More Aircraft? More Crew? use of the Hold pool? Command upgrades etc? Or a fleet and crew shuffle and route cuts to release crew and Airframes to run chester. Hope it's positive for all involved.:ok:

Merchant Banker
1st May 2009, 11:47
Who says they are recruiting anyway?

I suspect they would have to run courses if they got extra airframes anyway Aerofoil. Im sure there are some redundant baby pilots out there with emb ratings though. Get in there guys!

Better to remain...
2nd May 2009, 10:00
Spoke to a friend at Eastern they are under the impression that a % of Eastern guys are to be taken on by bmi under TUPE

Having experienced management doing what they deem is required over what the crew may think is right, I would imagine no one will know what is going to happen re guys that lost jobs being taken on the emb over guys with existing ratings, and the guys in the pool for regional, some having been there a very long time.

I think there is a distinction between regional and baby or mainline. It is regional as an entity that have won the contract, are they obliged to give the job to a pilot from another part of the bmi group?

My present company do as they please, with no consultation and the crew, always last to know.

silverknapper
2nd May 2009, 13:37
I'm not entirely sure of the rules regarding TUPE etc etc. However I always thought it applied to a company taking over another, not to a company winning a contract from another one. Is there a reference to TUPE somewhere?

woofly31
2nd May 2009, 22:09
Anyone got any further info relating to this TUPE situation. Did the current contract with EZE come to an end? Or has it been pulled for operational reasons? Any further word on how the operation is going to be created i.e the rumoured extra Aircraft or a reorg of current Routes,Aircraft and crew to release capacity for the contract. If its extra units, any word spreading about courses, the hold pool, crew relocation etc?:ok:

Dinger Bell
3rd May 2009, 10:54
Aberdeen Home Guard needs you!!!

In preparation for the onslaught of the German invasion, we are asking for as much assistance as possible, so that we can fight the enemy from our office here in Aberdeen. Remember.... we had our towels laid down on the east side of the airport, long before the Germans had us in their sights.

Toodle pip......

horsebox
3rd May 2009, 12:41
TUPE has been found to apply to:

mergers
sales of a businesses by sale of assets
a change of licensee or franchisee
the gift of a business through the execution of a will
contracting out of services
changing contractors
where all or part of a sole trader's business or partnership is sold or otherwise transferred.I'm pretty sure TUPE will apply to eastern crew already based at Chester. No doubt the devil will be in the detail.

I believe tupe would've applied to the flightline/Scasta contract, had flightline not gone bust, before the contract had been finished.

Mungo Man
3rd May 2009, 13:07
I can't believe bmir would take on a contract that meant they would have to take on TUPE wokers who would require type ratings. They will just cut routes elsewhere to free up crew. Besisdes, to be fair, if they were forced to TUPE then new workers would still have to pass selection surely.

horsebox
3rd May 2009, 13:36
Contracts like this can be very lucrative, you don't have to sell any tickets, you get paid if the aircraft is full or empty. So anyone bidding to take it over will have factored in the cost of any tupe implications, obtaining extra aircraft etc. Small change really over the life of a 3 or 5 year contract. In situations where tupe applies, but is ignored then you are basically in an employment tribunal dealing with cases of unfair dismissal.

If a Filton to Tolouse service is also included, then more crew will be required to run it than the current Chester-Filton route. Contracts like this are normally quite strict about level of service etc, so a spare aircraft or good engineering cover may have to be in place

Suspect it will end up with a couple of extra aircraft being leased in, some tupe crew from eastern coming across, some seconded crews from other bmir bases, and possibly over time bmir establishing a perm base at one of the locations involved?

RED WINGS
3rd May 2009, 13:43
Does TUPE really matter??? It only really protects pay not T&Cs, I may be wrong but if Eastern crews go to BMIR would it not mean better pay?

I guess in this situation its either move to another Eastern base or take what BMIR offers assuming they do in order to stay based at home. Good luck to all!

flying macaco
3rd May 2009, 14:22
Please forgive my ignorance on the protection of employment laws, but if the previous Airbus contract had finished and bmi regional have won the new contract would TUPE still apply?

No idea if this is the case, just trying to find out.

Deep and fast
3rd May 2009, 19:51
Can't see Tupe working with flightdeck unless already rated. In addition, if joining regional they would have to have the same contract as the rest of us and then they almost certainly would be sent north. Wiki tupe and I'll think it would come under the exceptions. As for cabin crew that may be a different story.

d and F

woofly31
4th May 2009, 09:11
So how have eastern run the chester op up to now. Were the chester crews contracrt bound to only opetrate from chester, or did they rotate to other bases when required as with any other company? As EZE have many other bases, why wouldn't these guys be rebased to the likes of Leeds or Newcastle. When they stopped flying the Brussels route out of Southampton the crews didnt sideslip into Flybe, all be it that wasn't under a private contract. Note on PPJN suggests EZE are asking crew to go Part Time to prevent redundancies. In any case if there are extra Aircraft joining the fleet to cover the contract, wouldn't guys be starting the type rating ASAP to meet the July start date. :confused:

silverknapper
4th May 2009, 10:51
Another point under Tupe - Eastern have skippers with a lot less hours than BMIr require.Therefore they would be going in the RHS. But under TUPE would they be expecting to retain their J41 skippers salary?
From the above I'd be surprised if Tupe applied here, there seem to be too many ifs, buts and maybes.

Steam Catapult
4th May 2009, 11:46
TUPE is there to remove a lot of the ifs, buts, and maybes and is a legal right of the emplyees, but there will still be many grey areas.

info on TUPE in the link below.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file20761.pdf

Wellington Bomber
5th May 2009, 06:52
Silverknapper

Does not apply to Chester based skippers regarding hours, trust me

woofly31
5th May 2009, 15:42
So how will this work if regional take option B to start the chester operation? What if they do not recieve more units and cut the current schedule to release Aircraft for the Chester operation. The company are not currently recruiting or running courses for their hold pool, so it would appear they have all the crew they require at this time. Therefore the aircraft that move already have crew to operate them. Do these guys get made redundant so that the EZE TUPE crews get a Job???:eek: As mentioned in a post further up the page. When EZE closed Southampton the crew were given the option to move on leave. They have closed their Manchester Crew base also. So as it has been said on PPJN they are currently fishing for guys to go Part Time or people would need to be made redundant. Would this change the TUPE rules etc.:confused:

airfixed
7th May 2009, 22:26
One of the most important reasons for TUPE is to protect workers when a contract changes hands. Its purpose is to maintain the continuity of employment, terms and conditions so that workers are not disadvantaged when a new company takes over an existing contract. However on closer inspection of the TUPE rules there are "outs" for the new company and the one that may concern pilots is that an employment contract may be varied where the sole or principle reason is an economic, technical or organisational one. In this context "technical" could mean training pilots on a new aircraft type (Berr reads: "...a reason relating to the nature of the eqipment or production processes which the new employer operates (i.e. a technical reason)..."). I know this was of concern to the Flightline guys prior to loosing the IAC contract.

flying macaco
7th May 2009, 22:46
But hasn't the old contract finished and bmi regional have secured the new contract? If this is the case does TUPE still apply??!

Deep and fast
7th May 2009, 23:14
Forget Tupe and it looks like no new A/C at the moment, but as ever in aviation the situation is fluid.

woofly31
10th May 2009, 10:15
Has there been any further progress with the Chester contract? Has it been anounced anywhere by either company? Are these 2 new rumoured ex Flybe units comming or has that been put on the back burner again? Has there been any news from Lufty about the future now that the deal should be sealed.:ok:

cruiseczechs
10th May 2009, 13:26
Whilst having sympathy with any pilot losing their job in this current climate, I can't see how TUPE would come into the equation here. Regional will almost certainly be using existing units and there will be no shortage of volunteers for a Hawarden base. If no new crews are going to be taken on, I can't see TUPE applying.

When Regional do get round to taking on more pilots I hope they like haggis.

Deep and fast
10th May 2009, 20:58
Well just as I said no new aircraft, it seems we have 2 coming to replace 2 going off lease the end of the year. But here is the strange bit. The company say they won't be coming until the last quarter of the year but they are taking responsibility for them earlier so we may see them on the network.

My take is that they don't want to recruit while trying to threaten redundancy if we force them to pay the last year of the pay deal. But they need the extra aircraft for the Airbus gig so.... watch this space I guess.

Mungo Man
11th May 2009, 08:51
How do you pronounce 'Hawarden' anyway?!

Rob's Dad
11th May 2009, 09:21
"Chester":}

hairycanary
11th May 2009, 09:23
I am reliably informed by our cabin crew it is pronounced "hard on".

que much sniggering....;)

Jenson Button
11th May 2009, 10:34
Do they have an Approach freq too....

"Hawarden Approach" or "Hard on Approach".......

Jenson:p

woofly31
12th May 2009, 08:36
Have any crew been approached to move to Chester, July is approaching pretty fast if that is the start month for the contract...... When do the leases end on these two ex LOT units? Would it be a case of using the new units to launch out of Hawarden and then scale down slightly in the winter when the units are returned?:ok:

Deep and fast
12th May 2009, 10:24
Woofly It will really depend on mainlines winter emb requirements and also if the lessor will re negotiate more favourable terms IMHO.

woofly31
12th May 2009, 10:41
Any rumours around the crew rooms of guys looking at leaving for other things, well what there is at this time? Are there many people in pools elsewhere like BA and Easyorange. Any natural wastage ahead with retirements etc.:ok:

Flightrider
13th May 2009, 13:34
Not strictly relevant to bmi, but am led to believe that the Eastern Hawarden crews are to be offered re-base to Liverpool for a new LPL-Aberdeen scheduled operation. TUPE conditions might not apply.

woofly31
13th May 2009, 14:16
Will it be a Saab or J41? Any further goings on with midland at Chester. Would think plans need to be in place to crack on soon.:ok: Still there has been no word from any company involved with this operation. Is it just still a rumour?

Flightrider
13th May 2009, 19:32
I am told that any agreement for bmi regional to acquire new aircraft to serve Chester (and they definitely have got the contract) has been mired in the wider bmi/Lufthansa take-over as the board isn't in a position to give an agreement for new aircraft. Probability is therefore tending towards existing aircraft and crews being redeployed from scheduled activity although I don't know what that might involve.

Wellington Bomber
14th May 2009, 17:45
Flightrider

New eastern base is Southampton not Liverpool, only stopping there.

I think you will also find that TUPE does apply to flightdeck and cabin crew at Chester, even if this means them been trained up on the Embraer. It all depends if they wish to take it, I can imagine the F/O's will jump at the chance to increase their salary as they have been threatened with job share and part time work just recently

sorry for the swimmers and the guys/girls who want a transfer from ABZ

flying macaco
14th May 2009, 19:53
Is this your opinion or based on fact?

Wellington Bomber
15th May 2009, 06:45
Not my opinion, but fact from the management. And i think he knows all about TUPE as we have been involved with it quite recently

i.e Flightline, Regional Handling at ABZ and going back to BA Citiexpress days remember with the old Jetstream

Jenson Button
15th May 2009, 06:53
Wellington Bomber, I feel for those Eastern crews who might be displaced at Chester. But there are many clauses to TUPE which could easily prevent any eastern crews taken onto the junglejet with Regional - if TUPE even applies at all. It is highly unlikely.

JB

Bring on Monaco, I might shave the beard.....

woofly31
15th May 2009, 10:39
Who ever is taken on to operate acft from Chester, if any people are required at all!!! Would they not need to be on a TR course now to make the July start point. Would it also be true to say that you could not have a base of crew inexperienced on Type? So If TUPE applied, and you need a broad range of experience at the base, crew would need to be moved from other bmir bases to make up the experience. If the company is running with correct numbers then these movers would need to be replaced by the new guys. So the EZE people would probably have to move anyway, most likely to Aberdeen. Where EZE already have a Large base. So Their ability to remain protected with the Chester life style would go out of the window. So in this case why would it be seen as fair to give a place to EZE crew, rather than the guys and gals in the bmir Hold pool, many who have been waiting for a while now. The Contract came to an end for EZE, Bmir won the new one. The crew work for Eastern Airways, Not Bae Systems or Airbus. How would this situation be worked out.

I hope there is bright future ahead for Bmir, The Bmir Hold pool, and the Guys at Easterns Chester base......:ok:

Deep and fast
15th May 2009, 11:01
Under TUPE even if bmir agreed they had an undertaking to take these few from Eastern they could dismis them at transfer for an ETO reason or just vary their contract because of that. The reality is they would at least only get the same contract as everybody else meaning a long trot North for them! In addition they could also only pay them the same as they were getting at Eastern as they would not vary the T and C's they already had!

Does anyone know if there is a mobility clause in Eastern pilots current contract again because if they have it's only gonna mean one thing, bagpipes and porridge.

I really hope Eastern keep there guys and keep em busy where they want to live, because being a long way from home makes you a miserable git. Ask my mates and they'll tell ya!!!

CheekyVisual
16th May 2009, 18:13
As BMIR are not taking over Eastern Airlines there is no legal basis for them having to take on any Eastern staff. They may choose to as an act of goodwill with airbus and eastern, or because it makes the start up easier, but they are not required to. TUPE only applies in mergers and take overs. This is neither. It is a contract that has been won by a different supplier.

Eastern's contract has run out and BMIR have won the new one. In the same way that I chose to shop at Waitrose this week as opposed to Asda. I didn't oblige Waitrose to employ the Asda check out girl who served me the week before. Same rule apples.

It is not a company take over just a change of a contracted supplier. Hopefully Eastern still have work elsewhere for those affected and BMIR will hopefully at least take the local CC even if they can't take the FD.

midnight cruiser
16th May 2009, 19:41
just passing through, ... but

TUPE only applies in mergers and take overs.

wrong.

check cipd.co.uk

bilderberger
18th May 2009, 14:52
Cheeky Visual - you sound like a member of the holding pool and as everyone knows the holding pool is for 100 hr potential Asda shelf stackers (or Tesco). No one seems to have told you that the Eastern pilots have had their contracts from BMI and are due to start training on July 4th, so hard luck and don't bump into too many frogs in the pool - try Air France, the tide leaves in half an hour... And to any other holding pool dipsticks - sorry chaps, u just aint got the hours - it's not the sort of weather for C150's at the moment! But then again, there is always Microsoft Flight Simulator. I'll bet some of you wear uniforms in the bedroom while flying to France. :(

flying macaco
18th May 2009, 15:07
bilderberger
I'm not going to bite, but needless to say your perception of the holdpool is quite inaccurate.

And of course I wear my uniform in the bedroom ;)

m8vrk
18th May 2009, 15:23
Flying Macaco......I concur. An inaccurate perception indeed :=

Best foot forward
18th May 2009, 16:19
Bilderberger are you sure you have spelled your name correctly. Why make an unnecessary attack on the people in the holding pool? Hope it made you feel bigger.

Hope the Eastern guys enjoy the job.

bilderberger
18th May 2009, 16:36
To those who think I have an incorrect perception.....I know one of the lads in the holding pool who has 400 hours........300 of which were done using a Parker Pen!

bilderberger
18th May 2009, 16:53
Sounds to me like its the only place you do wear that uniform in the bedroom.......Most of us call them pyjamas!

Most people in the holding pool know that they have more chance of getting a mystery gift of readers digest, but if its any concilation the society for disabled workers are looking for ringer outers for one arm window cleaners!!!

Most of the postings on this site are from people who know nothing about the industry and if your interested in my hours think 30,000+ on any type you care to mention!

Your just a bunch of Wannabes that wear pilots uniforms from RSH who sneak into the papershop late at night and eveyone thinks they are a pilot, when they should really be stacking shelves!

Hot 'n' High
18th May 2009, 17:18
Hey, Bilderberger, why the venom?

I know one of the lads in the holding pool who has 400 hours........300 of which were done using a Parker Pen!

Maybe. And, hopefully, they would get weeded out. Others in there have a tad more experience. Whatever has caused your rant, well, you have my sympathy.

Oh, btw, yes, I’ve written the Pool off for the foreseeable future. I was unavailable last year when I had several calls from the Company and, now, having left my last job to “become available” find myself totally shafted by a Recession and a Lufty takeover and Flybe and Eastern. And I’m glad the Eastern guys and gals have been taken on. Does me no good at all but I’d not wish anyone into my shoes! :ok:

Cheers, BFF, m8vrk and Flying Macaco! Poor Bilderberger – must have got out the wrong side of bed! :}

suitcaseman
18th May 2009, 17:18
30 000 hours + at the age of 36 and on so many types! That's very impressive! (I do get your point and those who cheat will get what they deserve)

But............Chill out Cheeseburger and have a little respect for others that have done nothing wrong.

Deep and fast
18th May 2009, 17:37
bmir has in the past regularly taken low hours guys. It was a mechanism to prevent them pissing off too early! The hours of the recruits seems to reflect the experience of the current FO body. IE lots of higher time fo's then they recruit from lower hours guys. The reason being to give the fo's who hang around long enough time to get an upgrade.

Good Karma guys and girls. The industry is in bits so everyone is getting a bit testy!

oapilot
18th May 2009, 17:47
Thanks Bilderburger you've brightened up my afternoon. Just when I thought that my life couldn't get any worse, you made me realise, I could be you..:D

bilderberger
18th May 2009, 19:34
i've been in this business a long time and i can assure you things can get worse.
this site is for pilots who know what theyre doing so you may as well check out.
the last frozen atpl i checked out on a twin tried to write off a local garden centre on the assymetric go-around.
if i hadnt had pulled the gear up and given some right boot the centre would have resembled a scene from die hard!
as for the eastern crew "well done" after the yrars of first class service to airbus why not.
you wannabe's ought to beg eastern for a job because i know their standards are second to none.
you'll learn how to be a prof pilot.
as for me well i was 36 once upon a time and was flying when your parents were listening to the bay city rollers
so have some respect hey'kid

bilderberger
18th May 2009, 19:47
to suitcaseman.

it should read "those who have done nothing"
dont you know that the only flight level they will ever reach will be in a multi-storey

bilderberger
18th May 2009, 19:53
to hot n high.

i hope tad doesnt mean an mcc course which is as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Deep and fast
18th May 2009, 20:04
bilderberger

With person skills like yours, maybe thats why you don't get the best out of the fATPL guys! You may not agree with the pool dwellers, but they will learn about this industry soon enough. I couldn't fly when I took my first breath on this planet, could you?

Chill

Hot 'n' High
18th May 2009, 20:18
bilderberger

i hope tad doesnt mean an mcc course which is as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

Not even going to bother answering my friend! ;)

Deep and Fast,

If we all ignore bilderberger maybe he'll go away! He's just on a mission just to wind people tonight up me thinks! I'm off for some "sanity" in JB!!!! :ok:

Agghhh, Captain Kid, don't encourage him!!! ;)

bilderberger
18th May 2009, 20:28
To Hot n High:

Just hope and prey that you dont come to me for your next IR renewal (Thats if you have got one!!) because the standards ive seen lately are dire!

Who knows i might of already of failed you on your first one!

Hot n High, where did you get that idea from: dont tell me....Not Performance A on the Tri Star!? CAP385

Finished flying them years ago.

Deep and fast
18th May 2009, 20:33
Think someone's knickers may be a little too tight 2nite :p

Captain Feathersword
18th May 2009, 21:02
Hi all,been at bmir for five years and finally today got the nod that starting in Chester on 29th June !!!!!!!!!!
No extra units at first but rumours are XO and XN kept on as charter dept close to securing more contracts.
I honestly believe that being the most punctual airline in the UK has played a big part in securing these contracts.
My friend at Eastern based in Chester has been offered Wick which he is taking because apparentley looking for people to go part time.

ahoy the captain

Deep and fast
18th May 2009, 21:20
XO XN leases expire 4th Q this year so the price for any new lease will be a major issue. Punctuality may have been a factor but Eastern were always second I think. A testament to all the crews I think.

woofly31
19th May 2009, 08:33
How many crew were based at EGNR with Eastern? How many of these have been given contracts at Bmir? Any one from Eastern out there like to confirm this, all seems to be coming from friends of friends of sisters cleaners best mate.:confused: If XO and XN are kept on, and these two EX Flybe acft arrive will there be a requirement for more crew, extra to the Eastern people that may have been taken on through TUPE?

bilderberger
19th May 2009, 08:56
To Deep n Fast:

Why dont you do us all a favour and go and play with Buzz light year! He is probably still on your bedroom shelf riding my little pony!

and as far as captain feathersword goes rumour has it your a coffin dodger, your about to fall off the pearch!

Sorry but Bilderberger no where near Chester and as for punctuality its mixed up for the hidden code purpose!

Looker
19th May 2009, 09:22
You're a leaky bucket my son,

Your stats just don't add up - 30,000+ hours?
Assuming you got your licence at 18 you'd have to have flown 900 hours a year for the last 32 years. Or are you too gifted with the parker pen? Perhaps that explains why you're such a twisted, billious ar*ehole.
Professional pilot? Don't make me laugh - with an attitude like yours any self respecting Dir Flt Ops or Chief Pilot would have kicked your sorry butt out of the office pronto. You certainly wouldn't get past Uncle Bill or Stuart M.
Anyway don't want to keep you you've probably got a seneca to pre flight and some poor little stude to terrify.
Tw@t

AngryBaby
19th May 2009, 10:00
Why such an attack on the hold pool I wonder? Does this weed have a grudge to bear?

No one wants to loose their job, but its hardly the fault of anyone in pool.

bilderberger
19th May 2009, 10:52
well it wont be you
youre probably too busy flying a 777 on ms flight sim and the dolly is your mum with your ready brek:yuk:

bilderberger
19th May 2009, 10:54
we're not blaming anyone in dorsett

bilderberger
19th May 2009, 10:57
what a load of bo##ocks

oapilot
19th May 2009, 11:09
Ah, Bildersbum, you're back.

Have to say, impressed that you obviously have the pedals and a scenery upgrade for your own copy of Flightsim, you must be a real anorak:8

tried to write off a local garden centre on the assymetric go-around.
if i hadnt had pulled the gear up and given some right boot the centre would have resembled a scene from die hard!

Keep taking the meds dear, you'll feel better soon.

Dinger Bell
19th May 2009, 11:48
This makes two numpties that I have seen from Fyfe! The other pretends to govern a country...

flying macaco
19th May 2009, 12:02
And what are these bay city rollers you mention?

Jenson Button
19th May 2009, 12:05
Build a burger,,,you obviously have a lot of time on your hands away from flipping at the local mobile Fat boy burger bar. Besides I wouldn't be too ashamed at getting the extra stripes for adding mayonnaise. If you knew anything about regional you would know that shiny shoes and a beard are de-rigueur. Its nice you take such a healthy interest, the glamour of flying the junglejet might just overload someone with such many many hours. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

Crm whats Crm......

Jenson:cool:

As for the Eastern guys being given contracts, still rumour - but i'm standing by to eat my hat. (I've still got mine to protect from the rain)

bilderberger
19th May 2009, 13:34
The only near miss you have had is when you went to the front of the classroom to complete a sum in your short trousers!

bilderberger
19th May 2009, 13:37
My old pal Brian Trubsh@w said that anyone who drops names is running on 11 Volts - in other words if your life was built on the Otto Cycle you are clearly in the ineffective crank angle

bilderberger
19th May 2009, 14:49
if you do end up eating your hat rip off the braid first or you'll end up with teeth like a burnt out fuseboard:D

embraerFObmi
19th May 2009, 16:11
i presume bilderberger knows the square root of f#ck all...

gentleman/ladies - may i introduce you to the "block" function! its amazing - you never hear from that idiot on the posts ever again.

in terms of the eastern/airbus contract, we are non the wiser within bmir as to what is happening.

keep swimming.

regards

bmiFO

Looker
19th May 2009, 17:18
I was wrong - I admit it.

You obviously didn't have a seneca to pre flight today, or probably any other day.

If I ever have the mis-fortune to fly with anyone who displays an attitude such as yours they'd be offloaded at the first convenient opportunity.

Best you get back to your computer and pilot dreamland.

Looker
19th May 2009, 17:22
EmbraerFO

Thanks for the tip re the block function, no need to listen to Bilders Bum's cr@p any longer :ok: