PDA

View Full Version : What experience is needed which will assist you as a pilot?*

speed787
8th Sep 2008, 14:15
Hi all,

Just want to know What experience is needed which will assist you as a pilot? Thanks for your input!

Kerosine
8th Sep 2008, 14:41
Flight training might be a good start.

Could you expand on your question?

speed787
9th Sep 2008, 01:59
Prior to the flight training, what sort of experience will assist you to become a pilot?

I am just looking for some ideas, Thanks!

boeingbus2002
9th Sep 2008, 10:08
Assuming you mean non-flying skills, maybe I would say being able to work well in a small team. For many people, if you are in a small group, you get to know each other and can work more efficiently. However in many airlines, you will work with different crew each time, so the ability to mix and work with new people as a team is important.

The ability to remain calm and make rational decisions based on the information you are given. There maybe times when some may question your decision on something, however you should be able to stick to your decision and yet also be open to suggestions from others. (A bit of a contradiction I know!)

There are more of course; you will get this experience from previous employment or if you are young..from joining clubs and socieites that give you the chance to try new tasks.

Romeo India Xray
9th Sep 2008, 11:10
Spend as much time as possible in an aviation environment. Go to a local airfield and see if you can help out in some way. You will learn a lot and network with both private and commercial pilots. Be prepared to listen to anyone and everyone as you will find most of them have experiences to share with you. You will learn a lot!

RIX

Orvil
12th Sep 2008, 06:17
Hi Speed787,
Don't worry about what type/level of experience is neccessary!
After listening to the Radio this morning and have a quick look around at the the many "sponsors" of this site. I would suggest the only thing required is a tonne of CA$H !!!
This industry is definately turning into a rich persons hobbie career day by day.
Goodluck
Orvil

Vortex Thing
23rd Sep 2008, 01:27
Sadly have to agree with a lot of the above. No one actually cares about you ability or experience as they are only useful if you have no hours. If you invest all you time and energy into getting hours on anything, anywhere then you will find that it reaps far more rewards than becoming the local freefall tantric bonsai underwater knife fighting instructor to beef up your CV.

The above though harsh is true, the qualification most currently desired is deep enough pockets to pay for fATPL, type rating, line trg, etc, etc

That said having other skills is useful purely from the point of view that whilst you are building those hours you need to find a way to pay them back until you get you desired seat and the better qualified you are in an alternative career the more secure you will be as the industry waxes and wanes.

So IMHO train as a doctor/lawyer/dentist/accountant/other professional get a degree, if you have one get a Masters, if you have one of those do an MBA or train as something else and when its bad fall back into it or if you don't fancy traditional academics go and do 'the knowledge' and become a London cabbie or something in a similar vein. Only when you have this under your belt do you need to start going back to things to beef up the CV because in my experience the CV only gets you the interview and the hours are at the top of the CV and on average those with significantly more hours tend to get the job.

Good luck!!

mierda
23rd Sep 2008, 08:28
Learn another language or two!

low n' slow
24th Sep 2008, 19:15
Languages. Good tip!

Perhaps something that will improove your way of working together with people? If your getting into Bizjet and GA, some sort of experience from a service type of job (hotel, restaurant etc) is always a good thing.

/LnS

isi3000
24th Sep 2008, 19:34
Good speaking skills, being assertive :}