PDA

View Full Version : JAA. First do CPL checkride then ATPL Theory?

eikido
7th Sep 2008, 20:05
Is it possible to do the CPL ME/IR checkrides to a JAA examiner and then do the ATPL Theory?

Regards
Eikido

acuba 290
7th Sep 2008, 22:14
ME: yes, CPL and IR: no

chrisbl
8th Sep 2008, 17:46
Why would you want to do that?

eikido
8th Sep 2008, 18:11
Do FAA in the US. Immediatley fly up for JAA CPL and IR (don't think you can do JAA IR in the US) in the US because it's cheaper. Then comeback to Europe and do ATPL theory. Meanwhile maybe work as FI in the US. Not sure if it's difficult to get FI job.

That was one strategy. I forgot the other one:)

Eikido

Keygrip
8th Sep 2008, 20:36
That was one strategy.

However, in the words of Blackadder, there's just one small problem with your suggestion....it's complete ***********.

granlistillo
11th Sep 2008, 21:16
How can you take the CPL flying bit without the theory? At least the CPL theory?

Capt Loop
13th Sep 2008, 16:24
You cant even do the JAA IR unless you pass the IR exams. :ugh:

Please read LASORs, it will answer ALL the ways to get an ATPL. There are NO shortcuts.:rolleyes:

Shunter
13th Sep 2008, 17:52
You're getting confused with the FAA system.

Over there it's feasible to do the CPL exam (singular) and get your CPL at 250hrs. Then you can build hours, instruct etc.. (no multi-pilot required for FAA ATPL) and do the ATP exam (singular) and the ATP checkride. FAA ATP issued having never flown anything more than a C150. Good huh?

Over here in JAA-land, the CPL is 9 exams, the IR is 7 (but IR HPL credits for CPL), so to do it that way means taking 15 exams. The ATPL exams are almost the same, but there's only 14 of them as you're not taking almost identical exams twice (as you would for CPL and IR). The effort required for ATPL over CPL and IR is only moderate; things like global climatology, transonic dynamics, intercontinental nav which aren't required for CPL and IR.

To sum up, if you want to be an airline pilot in JAA-land get your head down and do the ATPL exams, then do your CPL and IR within 3 years of passing the last exam. Your ATPL theory credit is valid for 7 years (if memory serves) from your last IR renewal. Keep your IR current and the theory credit doesn't lapse. Then if you're really, really lucky you might get an underpaid FO job in a few years.

tbavprof
13th Sep 2008, 20:58
FAA ATP issued having never flown anything more than a C150. Good huh?

Except for the "complex" requirement on the CPL. Haven't seen many C150 retracts around.

Of course that's an ATP SEL. Usual way around here is IR-CPL ME/SE-ATP ME. The ATP SE is more of an "add-on" rating unless you end up flying Caravans or PC-12's.

Shunter
14th Sep 2008, 06:31
Fine, if you want to be pedantic.... Just saying that the FAA system is a whole lot clearer and has a lot less in terms of "rules for the sake of rules".

PPL: Exam, Test
CPL: Exam, Test
IR: Exam, Test
ATP: Exam, Test

etc....