PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar

beerdrinker
7th Sep 2008, 14:48
Now that the UK and Spain are co-existing over Gibraltar does anybody know whether it is possible to fly privately into Gibraltar.

I want to fly from Portugal to Gibraltar to Spain.(Circumnavigation of Iberian Peninsular)

Also I cannot find the Gibraltar Plates on the Eurocontrol site. They are not listed under the Spanish AIP pages or the UK pages. (There is a mention on the direct Spanish AIP site of LXGB, but all that is there is Textual data dated 1996 with absolutely no information.)

Just noticed there was a thread that ended in March. Any up to date info?

Thanks,

BD

polohippo
7th Sep 2008, 15:55
Yes it is, I went about 3 weeks ago. It's a great one to have in your logbook.

You need to study the plates before you go espacially the ones about the wind, they are available from Jepp.

Also it is 24hrs PPR so be prepared.

Take loads of cash with you too, it is 20 pounds handling fee, 25 pounds landing fee for a light single and the 10 pounds per passenger over and above the pilot.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Polohippo

chevvron
8th Sep 2008, 10:40
AERAD do excellent plates which show you the strange wind effects along with updrafts/downdrafts on short final. I belive it's normal for light aircraft to land downwind to minimise these.

Laundryman
8th Sep 2008, 10:52
I've been there by road, you have to drive across the runway, its so wide you could probably land some light aircraft crossways. The locals might not like that though