PDA

View Full Version : Free flights at Strathaven

xrayalpha
4th Sep 2008, 16:38
Hi all,

There is an advert in this month's Microlight Flying magazine from Strathaven Airfield offering free half hour flights in their C42 Ikarus this month and next.

Rules are simple: you must be resident in Scotland and have/have had a pilot's licence (for anything).

No need to pay up front and then get a rebate if you sign up for training, or any of that stuff.

Gather the intention is so pilots can see what is at Strathaven now, and so keep a wider berth (since the 1,000ft circuit at an 847ft high airfield takes one pretty close to the typical Glasgow ATC request of "clear of controlled airspace, not above 2,000ft on the QNH". as well as tempting them onto the dark side!

Very best,

XA

Scottishflyer182
4th Sep 2008, 20:45
Hi
Sounds great. Do you need to book in advance or just drop in?

SF

xrayalpha
5th Sep 2008, 07:21
I'd give a call and book - don't want to be flattened in the rush!

0797 997 1301

Cheers,

XA

xrayalpha
15th Sep 2008, 21:19
One taker.

He flew yesterday - and a club member took his wife up in a flexwing free too!

Can't even give flying away free! - so it can't be too expensive!!

XA

tuscan
16th Sep 2008, 11:24
xa,

I will be through in Hunterston on business on 29th Sep and passing back through your way in the afternoon,
1.Should I just drop in past on the offchance or provisionaly book something?

2.Will my 6ft4in 100kg frame be too lardy for the wee thing?

Tuscan

xrayalpha
16th Sep 2008, 16:25
Hi,

best to book. (0797 997 1301)

100kgs not a problem, we have a light instructor!

Six four won't be any more of a problem than any other aircraft - or you could come and pay for a flight in a weightshift (one advatage of an open cockpit!)

Very best,

XA

gla-lax
18th Sep 2008, 10:05
would u take up a ppl?

suraci
19th Sep 2008, 02:45
OK, I'm up for it mid - late October

tuscan
19th Sep 2008, 12:15
xa,

I will call when I have a better idea of actual times,might even have to be on the day. Ive always fancied a go at weightshift.

Do you have a website with hourly rates etc... Im just thinking that your not that far from Edinburgh and I might consider more regular visits.
If memory serves me correctly your only about an 60 to 75 minutes from Ed town centre, would that be about right?

Thanks,

Tuscan

xrayalpha
20th Sep 2008, 07:34
Hi all,

GA-LAX - OK.

Suraci - see you next month.

Tuscan - look forward to seeing you. Under an an hour from the Maybury - how long to there depends on the tram!!

websites are Microlight Scotland - microlight flying lessons, trial flights and microlighting gift vouchers (http://www.microlightscotland.com) and Sportflight Scotland - flying lessons, trial flights and gift vouchers in a three-axis microlight aircraft (http://www.sportflightscotland.com), but hourly rates for training are £110 an hour flying time, landing fees are included in club membership (250 a year, 125 for six months for students, free for temp members such as trial flights)

Very best,

XA

gla-lax
20th Sep 2008, 16:26
xrayalpha thanks