PDA

View Full Version : Sussex Police Aviation Initiative - Free Landings at Shoreham

Mike Cross
4th Sep 2008, 11:56
Sussex Police are launching a new crime prevention initiative in
the Sussex area. This initiative is specifically designed for general
aviation and involves security marking of aviation equipment, central
database registration, regular aviation focused crime prevention/counter
terrorism newsletters, and security briefings. Another feature of this
project is aimed at enhancing pilot safety by offering a place to
register ground contacts and search and rescue information.

YOUR I N V I TAT I O N TO THE LAUNCH OF VAPOURS
SUNDAY 14 SEPT ‘ 0 8
SHOREHAM (BRIGHTON CITY) AIRPORT EGKA 10AM-3PM
The new crime reduction initiative by Sussex Police aimed specifically at general aviation
Security mark your expensive equipment and register with the Police
Register ground contacts for emergencies
Speak with officers to advise you on staying legal when flying
All pilots and enthusiasts welcome - with or without aircraft
Free landing for visiting pilots (ppr)*
To book a landing slot contact DC Andy Huggett or DC Steve Lowin on 01273 462090
or email: [email protected]
*WEATHER MINIMAFOR FLY-IN CLOUDBASE OF 1100 FEET

Fuji Abound
4th Sep 2008, 12:42
Mike

Is there any evidence of aviation related crime (I am referring to theft or criminal damage) in Sussex? I would imagine the few "airports" in Sussex already have satisfactory crime prevention procedures in place.

Another feature of this project is aimed at enhancing pilot safety by offering a place to register ground contacts and search and rescue information.

What does this mean? I couldnt imagine if you tried that you could create a more poorly constructed sentence. It implies that when you see something on the ground (presumably from the air) you would want the police to provide a service (from the air, or do you wait until you are back on the ground) to register something about what you saw. :confused:

central database registration, regular aviation focused crime prevention/counter terrorism newsletters

Why would I want a newletter telling me about how to prevent my aircraft being used for terrorism. I cant imagine what useful information such a newsletter could provide.

I took some time a while ago to suggest that the Sussex police should develop a web based sytem for notification under the TA - as one or two other forces have done. It took some effort to get any response out of them - in fact they admitted their unit at Gatwick was often not manned. When they did eventually contact me they enthusiastically suggested we should meet and discuss the issue. I was of course only too dleighted to help.

I never heard from them again!

You might gather from this that whilst I support many of the efforts of the police on the face of it there would seem to be far more issues requiring there attention than this!

Of course, I could be msistaken. :)

[Edited to ad: Mike I see your introduction refers to a "database" - does your introduction come from some specific press release from the Sussex Police and if so where?

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - apologies for "flaming" this initiative if you are involved and you are able to report to us that it has sound merit]

Rod1
4th Sep 2008, 12:56
Sent: 17 August 2008 08:55
To: LAA Office
Subject: project vapours

name: dc andy huggett
Phone: 01273 517447
eMail: [email protected]
Subject: project vapours
Query: dear sir/madam,

sussex police are looking to launch a new crime prevention initiative in
the sussex area. this initiative is specifically designed for general
aviation and involves security marking of aviation equipment, central
database registration, regular aviation focused crime prevention/counter
terrorism newsletters, and security briefings. another feature of this
project is aimed at enhancing pilot safety by offering a place to
register ground contacts and search and rescue information.

it is hoped that in due course our colleagues in other force areas will
take on this system allowing this to be rolled out nationally.

this initiative, named project vapours (or voluntary aircraft and pilot
registration scheme) is intended to be launched at a grand launch
'fly-in' event at shoreham (brighton city) airport (egka) on sunday 14th
september 2008.

these details are yet to be confirmed.

please could you reply to me indicating whether this initiative is one
which may be of interest to your members, if so how we could pass
details to you for circulation.

we hope to engage with the aviation community within is sussex to a
level not achieved before, thus allowing freedom of flight with the
minimum of legislative intrusion.

contact details for project personnel:

ds alan sturrock cs799
dc andy huggett ch938
dc steve lowin cl770

all officers are contactable on 01273 517447, 01273 515208 (answerphone)
or on 0845 60 70 999 ext 62050.

Fuji Abound
4th Sep 2008, 14:08
I thought I should write to see if it were possible to gain a better understanding of what they have in mind.

You may wish to note that the original email address given does not work - apparently there may be a . left out and the original contact number failed to eilicit any answer.

The contact details in the subsequent post above would seem to work.

There is of course a vital marketing lesson (if these details have actually been posted as sent out). :)

oxo
4th Sep 2008, 16:00
Anybody volunteering to go on a police database needs their head examining.

Supersport
4th Sep 2008, 16:20
Anybody volunteering to go on a police database needs their head examining.

Why?

Are you just worried about them losing your details or something more sinister?

Fuji Abound
4th Sep 2008, 16:36
I can see it now on eBay.

One set of disks. Almost new.

Mutliple uses. Perfect for finding willing volunteers to take you flying, snaps of the back yard from up above, hop across to France with your own personal pilot, even a bit of contraband running if you find the right person.

Also useful for identifying the stuff thats security marked - and that not.

Bidding starts at a £5, grab yourself a bargain.

(There maybe other interested parties, we reserve the right to remove this auction if we are nicked in the mean time or receive a better offer else where).

Only kidding. :)

S-Works
4th Sep 2008, 17:18
Why a weather minima at an IFR airfield?

Fuji Abound
4th Sep 2008, 19:17
.. .. .. apparently even with a serviceable DME, never mind the NDB - perhaps you only get the free landing if you arrive VFR?

WorkingHard
4th Sep 2008, 20:35
"Speak with officers to advise you on staying legal when flying"
Are the Sussex police now experts in aviation law? Shall we ask them to set out the VFR/IFR rules for example?

Nibbler
4th Sep 2008, 22:22
I wonder if this is more of a (quiet) national issue coming to the fore. We had the UK Border Agency visit us last week asking about private hire flights and the checks we have in place when people hire aircraft.

They seemed to have some concerns, and I can see why.

Maybe some people are doing naughty things in light aircraft?

Mike Cross
5th Sep 2008, 06:14
People are indeed doing naughty things in light aircraft, but no more so than in vehicles or yachts.

The original source of the info was via LAA, on whose National Committee I sit, as posted by Rod above. The invitation came by email direct to me yesterday and I passed it on.

I've been spoken to both at Popham and Shobdon by Police and Borders & Immigration. On both occaisons they were at the airfield to meet pilots, introduce themselves and seek assistance by encouraging people to report concerns. Nefarious operations like the smuggling of drugs or people threaten our freedoms.

If you fancy a free landing at Shoreham and a goody bag from Sussex Police then turn up. If you don't then don't, simple really.

I concur that their marketing requires some work but they deserve support nonetheless for making the effort.

There is a website coming at www.vapours.aero (http://www.vapours.aero) but it ain't live yet.

helicopter-redeye
5th Sep 2008, 10:48
I've even had the police turn up at Colonsay (at least thery said they were police ...) :eek:

oxo
5th Sep 2008, 12:09
Police these days are not interested in crimes. They are only into fulfilling their charge quotas. On that basis I'll be keeping a low profile as no matter how law abiding you are they can always get you for something..

Fuji Abound
5th Sep 2008, 14:06
I wonder why the constabulary would be working with a company that seems to have been established for all of 5 minutes and based in Bristol? You would have thought these days they would be supporting local businesses? I wonder what role 50 North Ltd will play? Seems odd you would launch such an initiative without managing to actually have you web site up and running first. I would like to see this handled in a more professional manner.

Trinity 09L
5th Sep 2008, 16:43
The three named officers have the prefix "DS" or "DC" ie Detectives. Crime prevention is traditionally undertaken by uniform officers (in most forces/services). Do they provide a similar service to the sailing community which far outstrips aviation in size along the Sussex coast?:bored:

BRL
5th Sep 2008, 17:47
Fuji, will you be going along to see them and ask them all this?

Fuji Abound
5th Sep 2008, 18:40
BRL

I might, but I have another committment that is likely to prevent me doing so.

As you know I am not one just to pontificate (hopefully) - I have conviction in my comments - for that reason I eventually emailed the gentlemen after I established the correct email address. I am yet to receive a reply.

In all seriousness this may be well intentioned - and I concede an element of leg pulling on my part on the forum (but not in my letter to them). If it is well intentioned well done.

englishal
5th Sep 2008, 20:09
They really should learn that writing an email should be like writing a letter. You should use capital letters for example....What sort of people do the Police employ these days?

Blues&twos
5th Sep 2008, 22:13
They really should learn that writing an email should be like writing a letter. You should use capital letters for example....

For this crime against good English they should bring back capital punishment......aha ha ha.