PDA

View Full Version : The Flight Design CTLS

aviate1138
4th Sep 2008, 09:57
Has anyone on Pprune flown a Flight Design CTLS? Or CTSW?

Would be interested in opinions.

Company claims 18 lph @ 112kts, 1000 NM range @ 97 Kts

Thanks in advance, or not, if no one replies! :rolleyes:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/aviate1138/Picture25-1.jpg

Flight Design photo

Mariner9
4th Sep 2008, 10:31
I've flown a mate's CTSW. Fantastic machine, with amazing endurance (if you're prepared to overlook MAUW:ok:). Great STOL performance, and a reasonable cruise, which, strangely, utilises a negative flap setting :confused:

Personally, I found it quite twitchy and difficult to land in a crosswind, but that might just have been me (mate seems to manage it OK).

PM if you want mate's mobile number - I'm sure he'd be happy to chat about the a/c.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Sep 2008, 11:13
I've flown the CT2K, and had a good look at the CTSW.

The performance figures seem about right, *but* be aware of the payload - you'll get that range 1-up, but unless you and your passenger are very light, you're not going to get more than a couple of hours fuel on board 2-up.

Expect a total payload of about 185kg, including fuel for a UK version CT2K or CTSW.

Handling and performance are sparkling, the electric flaps and LCD instrument panel take a bit of getting used to but work. There's not really spare weight to fit much in the way of navaids and you can't legally fly one night/IMC.

G

Dave Unwin
4th Sep 2008, 13:03
Yes. Extremely impressive machines. See Today's Pilot April 2008 for a full flight test report on the LS, Feb 06 for the SW.

Squadgy
4th Sep 2008, 21:01
Hello

I fly the CTSW. About 105 Kts at 14L p/h. Extremely impressive short field performance. Would prefer a full glass cockpit to the LCD screen. Clever use of negative flap setting in the cruise. Twitchy to land, but quickly get used to.

Understand that the CTLS and CTMS are not currently available in the UK.

Mark1234
5th Sep 2008, 02:10
Have paxed, and flown/landed one from the wrong seat on a local flight - Can't comment on the endurance, or the payload ability.. however, it does cruise about as advertised, if not a bit quicker. Full flap descent / approach is somewhat mind bending, as is the climb angle at Vy - friend doesn't generally use full flap. Found it fairly conventional, if a little lively (as others have mentioned) to place on the floor - runs out of energy quickly in the flare due to light weight (compared to warriors etc). negative flap cruise - clever, efficient, and not that odd! Effectively decambers the wing, hence reduces the induced drag.

[edit to add, a CT2K, not an LS. My bad.]

aviate1138
5th Sep 2008, 11:00
The reason for asking if anyone had flown the CTLS was because it is longer and has a shorter wingspan. So it should be less twitchy I would have thought?

Are any LSA aircraft legal in the UK? Europe?

Appreciate the previous answers. If I fly one it will have to be solo and without full fuel! :rolleyes:

Rod1
5th Sep 2008, 11:13
“Are any LSA aircraft legal in the UK? Europe?

Appreciate the previous answers. If I fly one it will have to be solo and without full fuel!”

In Europe the class is “VLA” and the design code is CSVLA. VLA has some significant advantage over LSA. For example, there is no 120kn speed limit; there is no restriction on “complex” aircraft etc. The MTOW can be up to 750kg, so much better useful load than a micro.

Rod1

Dave Unwin
5th Sep 2008, 12:43
You are correct Aviate. The longer tail has definitely increased the damping in pitch, and as the SW is somewhat ‘twitchy’ in this axis it is a definite improvement.

Jim Lawrence
27th Feb 2009, 22:39
Hi aviate1138 (http://www.pprune.org/members/64522-aviate1138).

I've got about 40 hours now in a CTLS, the same one in fact (860LS) you have in your picture. I'm writing three articles for Plane & Pilot magazine (US mag) on the experience, the first is due out in a couple weeks I believe.

The short tell is I grew to really love the LS after wobbling around in it a bit. They've refined the control system which should help (I haven't flown that version yet), as the roll pressures were rather stiff so students wouldn't overcontrol, but it was a bit stiff, especially compared with pitch, with is nice, positive but not nearly as heavy, nor as twitchy as the CTSW was.

The airplane is very comfortable inside, with great visibility. Cruise is an honest 120 knots, it lands in the 40s, it feels the bumps more than a metal or fabric/wood airplane being composite and inflexible. Flight Design is doing a great job with the airplane, I really enjoy flying it. Great panel options, I learned on the Dynon EFIS screens versions, wouldn't go back to steam gauges now.

It's got a good power-off glide (I'm still underestimating the glide and coming in high - no doubt a carryover from my hang gliding days when we started with 4:1 glide ratios.)
The CTLS is definitely worth a demo flight; it's a very solid, excellent performing airplane (1000 fpm is a true number, I see it all the time). Very well made, great serfvice and support from the company, at least here in the US in what is still a growing LSA infrastructure.

Good luck!

Jim Lawrence, writer/photographer

Sir George Cayley
28th Feb 2009, 20:46
I understand that Mainair at Barton.. er , sorry City of Salford International, have just received their first LS with another due soon:ok:

Not a cheap option but high built quality.

Sir George Cayley

timcfi
20th Nov 2010, 15:21
Our 2009 CTLS is in for its first annual inspection. I have a lot of time in it now and absolutely love the aircraft. It is everything the company claims, and more. It is stable (not twitchy), fast (110kts), and most importantly, a load hauler. The range is as advertised, and burning 4.5GPH it will stay in the air longer than your kidneys. Many LSAs have poor payloads, but this one carries a good load. The interior space is huge, at 49" wide across the shoulders, and more head and leg room than nearly any GA airplane. I am 6'4" so this is important. The owner of our FBO is 6'7", and he fits in it as well.

When you first fly it, you experience a little parallax problem because it is so wide and has a shorter nose than most aircraft, so there is a tendency to pull the nose left if you're in the left seat. An hour of dual fixes this quickly.

We have dual Dynon glass and a Garmin 430w in ours, and they are a joy to fly. I have flown the Dynon, Avidyne Entegra, and Garmin 1000 glass, and the Dynon is first rate and easy to learn (the Garmin is great, but the learning curve is steep).

We are now a Flight Design Dealer and Pilot Center and are working on becoming an FD Service Center as well. Our students love being able to fly a new, glass cockpit airplane. Feel free to come see us and fly our CTLS.

- Tim
Iowa Flight Training (http://www.IowaFlightTraining.com)

Mr Cessna
2nd Dec 2010, 00:23
Flew the CTSW back in August and found it to be very twitchy but great fun to fly. 100kts at 14L p/h, no need to even use elevator trim in flight, negative flap setting very interesting but above all the space inside was excellent.

grumpyoldgeek
17th Aug 2011, 23:22
I noticed the thread is a little old, but I'll still throw in my opinion...

I own a 2006 CTSW. I trained and passed my US PP checkride in it. That said, it's a very, very nice recreational aircraft and a safe but demanding trainer. I have 1200 landings in my logbook and although I've never bent it, I'm still challenged to produce a nice landing on a hot, gusty day.