PDA

View Full Version : FAA english endorsment

Earl
3rd Sep 2008, 04:19
I just did an address change with the FAA on my license.
Was told a few days ago I also needed a English endorsement by my overseas company, Why this is needed is beyond me.
From what I read when the new license is issued reflecting the address change the endorsement for English will be added automatically.
Has anyone had any luck with this.
Really strange for USA ex pats to have this done.
Thanks in advance.

varigflier
3rd Sep 2008, 14:46
No need to worry about it. It will come on your license. Everybody needs the endorsement to fly international regardless of your native language.

VF

Earl
17th Sep 2008, 03:31
Got the new ones in the mail with English endorsement, did not have to pay the 2 bucks because of the address change.
System does work.

flyboy83
19th Sep 2008, 02:57
I recently did an address change online with the FAA and my new ATPL came with the English proficient endorsement automatically. I didn't have to do a thing except pay the $2 for the addr change.

zooom
20th Oct 2008, 21:44
I've received my FAA license and there at XIII. Limitations it says ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

What does it means?

tbavprof
21st Oct 2008, 01:45
It means that, per the FAA, you meet the language proficiency requirements of ICAO level 4 (Operational).

There's no other testing involved, as the FAA deems their existing English language licensing requirement as meeting or exceeding level 4.

Whether it's accepted by your home CAA as proof of proficiency is up to them.

USav8or
13th Mar 2009, 08:57
US had an exemption for the "English Proficient" requirement for years. ICAO rules are the same for all ICAO countries and the US is now simply complying with those rules. Eventually anyone who wants to make an international flight will need that endorsement on his/her license, no matter what country the license was issued in.

A total non-event; simply apply for a renewal and your new FAA license will arrive with the endorsement without you having to take any additional tests.

Of course, you better hurry... In the next few years the license might say "Press 1 for English” and “Apriete 2 para español” :(

USav8or
13th Mar 2009, 09:02
"...I didn't have to do a thing except pay the $2 for the addr change."

Flyboy83 - if your address changed you didn't have to pay the $2... You pay the $2 only if you need a new license and there were no changes made (a.k.a. you lost it ;))

luisayala79
11th Mar 2010, 04:57
i have the private pilot based on my comercial pilot foreign license issued al 2007, i did try to request a new one with the famous English proficiency endorsement online by it seems that i need to go to the FSDO, does anyone knows about this.....?

And by the way if i get the endorsement does anyone knows if it does have an expiration date.......??

tks

luis:ok:

USav8or
11th Mar 2010, 05:16
"I have the private pilot based on my comercial pilot foreign license issued al 2007, i did try to request a new one with the famous English proficiency endorsement online by it seems that i need to go to the FSDO, does anyone knows about this.....?"

If you'd worked for an airline the training department would help you to fill out the paper work, etc. Since you're "on your own" and furtermore your US license is based on a foreign license you'll have to fo to the nearest FSDO where they'll issue it to you in no time. They'll probably "chit-chat" with you just to make sure you are you if it makes sense.

"And by the way if i get the endorsement does anyone knows if it does have an expiration date.......??"

The English prof is a one time thing only. Then it does not expire but the privileges of using it do without a valid medical. In other words works like it always did.

If you're not in the US (which I think is your case) you can follow those steps. Not sure where the nearest South American IFO (international field office) is.

Now that I think about it I'm not sure all this applies to you as you want to renew and not apply for a new license. Best call them to find out.
Here's FAA's headquarters:
Oklahoma City FSDO Contact the Office (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/okc/contact/)

PS. I'm not working for the FAA but I did sleep at Holiday Inn last night (and I googled it;))

If you don’t plan to be in the US
1. Contact the CAA and ask them to verify your license to the NewYork IFO FAA Field Service District Office.
2. Down load the form from the web http://registry.faa.gov/docs/verify61-75.pdf. Fill it in (designating the "New York IFO" as the issuing Field Office) and send it to:
FAA***
Airmen Certification Branch,
AFS-760***
PO Box 25082***
Oklahoma City
OK 73125-0082
USA

who will check the license with the issuing authority and send you a letter within 3-4 weeks verifying the authenticity of his or her national license. You then have 6 months to get the license, via step 3 (or by going to the New York IFO)
3. Call the New York FAA International Field Office on +1 718 553 0986 and talk to an Operations Inspector. You can then arrange to meet a traveling FAA Ops Inspector on his or her next visit to the IFO nearest you (i.e. London, Frankfurt or Brussels). Take the letter, your passport (to prove identification), logbook (to prove hours requirements) and Medical Certificate.

http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/Documents/FAA%20Certificates%20for%20ICAO%20Pilots.doc

Oyindo
11th Mar 2010, 14:21
Quote - (It means that, per the FAA, you meet the language proficiency requirements of ICAO level 4 (Operational).
There's no other testing involved, as the FAA deems their existing English language licensing requirement as meeting or exceeding level 4.
Whether it's accepted by your home CAA as proof of proficiency is up to them.)

Holding a level 4 for now will get you by, until a Level 6 is required in a couple of years and then some sort of testing maybe required if you still hold a level 4. If your hold a UK CAA licence, I got the level 6 by completing some paperwork and sent it in. (download Form SRG 1199 from the UKCAA).

luisayala79
11th Mar 2010, 16:13
hey tks man, appreciate it

luis

Shiner Pilot
12th Mar 2010, 20:09
My Examiner in Houston told me it would turn into an arguement if I said I could speak English!

I guess tha's what you get from a guy who introduced me to his, wife, sister and dog and they happened to be the same person...:D

Only joking sports fans, that was my joke of the day.

SP

Shiner Pilot
12th Mar 2010, 20:12
My JAA ATPL shows me as Language Proficiency: English

My temp FAA ATP shows me as: English Proficient

No levels mentioned on either licence.

Oyindo
13th Mar 2010, 09:11
Language Proficiency: English = Level 4

Droste
20th Apr 2010, 20:02
It means that, per the FAA, you meet the language proficiency requirements of ICAO level 4 (Operational).

Language Proficiency: English = Level 4
Does anybody know how to upgrade to level 6 in FAA license?

I think I read it somewhere in this forum how to upgrade to level 6, but I just could not recall.

mutt
20th Apr 2010, 22:13
We are now using Level 6 as an employment requirement for Captains.... but we are unsure if there is a process in the USA for crews to obtain Level 6... Anyone know?

Mutt

LanFranc
23rd Apr 2010, 18:56
Had a very detailed ramp check in VIE today and the inspector was adamant that as of next year any licence without a poficiency level on it will be "unacceptable" (his word.) Knowing the glacial pace of FAA movement I doubt they will be putting a level with the English Proficient endorsement on our licence any time soon. I guess they (FAA) will have to wield the big stick to get the EU and other to accept our licences as is for at least a while.

Anybody else remember the days when the flying was the hard part?

USav8or
24th Apr 2010, 00:44
FAA is following ICAO rules. English proficient on the FAA license is all you'll ever see. The different levels was created for non-English speaking countries...

LanFranc - the deadline was March (I think?) of last year. Unless you've been hiding under a rock somewhere all US licenses should have the endorsement by now... At least at the major airlines they do...

LanFranc
24th Apr 2010, 09:27
USav8or

There isn't a rock big enough to hide under in an airplane in international operations. I have had the 'English Proficient' endorsement for quite some time. Since you are not english proficient apparently, I'll try to explain further. The FAA licence doesn't have a level number. 'English proficient level 4' is required for international operations. The inspector in Vienna was telling me that 'English Proficient' BY ITSELF will no longer be acceptable next year. That is to say, an acceptable licence will have to have level 4, or above, actually on the licence.

I don't know why he was giving me a hard time over it. Its not like as pilots we have any contol over how regulating agencies format their licences. The porpose of my post was two fold:
1. Has anyone else had such an encounter in international ops?
2. Anyone heard of any pending changes to include a level number on the licence?

USav8or
24th Apr 2010, 09:58
In order to appease you and to improve my English I called a good friend of mine who's a 121 inspector at the OKC FSDO. He said he's not heard of a new "levels of English proficiency" requirement on our certificates.

I too fly primarily overseas but have never been faced with your dilemma. Might be your English after all... Just keedin' ;)

You probably ran into an overzelous inspector...

Many foreign airlines use the scale to weed out some applicants but I'd love to see this "English proficiency" test being administered here in the US.

La Raza would demand a "Press 2 for Spanish" option, the Confederate Society of America would lobby for making the Southern dialect a recognized level 6 English, while the United Negro College (yes, that's the official name of the institute!) would demand an aviation version of Ebonics, etc., etc.

In a nutshell, a new civil war... :)

PS. My spell checker is out of service 2day.

Carrier
26th Apr 2010, 16:32
Quote: ".....the FAA screwing up the paperwork because we are the only hold out on this....."

I have just checked my Canadian ATPL in the new encyclopaedia sized book format that has been introduced over the past year or so. It has two relevant abbreviations: "LP" for language proficiency and "EN" for English. There is no number. As Canada is a nominally bilingual country there is also provision for the inclusion of "FR" for French for those proficient in that language. Therefor the FAA is not alone. The second largest country in world aviation also simply states the language without a number. Together these two countries make up more than 40% of world aviation. Perhaps the small fry need to get rid of their tail wags the dog attitude and conform with what the major countries apply!

USav8or
26th Apr 2010, 20:42
"I have just checked my Canadian ATPL in the new encyclopaedia sized book format that has been introduced over the past year or so. It has two relevant abbreviations: "LP" for language proficiency and "EN" for English. There is no number. As Canada is a nominally bilingual country there is also provision for the inclusion of "FR" for French for those proficient in that language. Therefor the FAA is not alone. The second largest country in world aviation also simply states the language without a number. Together these two countries make up more than 40% of world aviation. Perhaps the small fry need to get rid of their tail wags the dog attitude and conform with what the major countries apply!"

Good post. I checked again with my friend (okc FSDO) and he said all US with "English proficient" endorsement are level 4 or higher. No plans for adding actual levels. In his own words - you pass or you don't - no need for "artificial levels." In the end the FAA would have to hire tons of people to do this "English testing." Not to mention that the ACLU would have a fit over the "discriminatory" aspect of the test - think Hispanics.

We're already short on money - summary - ain't gonna happen (that's English level VII)

Inigo Montoya
27th Apr 2010, 06:29
I've had jobs flying in China and Malaysia over the last few years, and I have had to take an English test for each of those. The test in China was not an ICAO test, but given by the CAAC. It was similar to the test I later took, from RMIT Australia for the Malaysian license, since Malaysian DCA does not accept the FAA English Endorsement for license conversion. The test is not overly expensive, and it is possible to do the prep and the test in the same day, but I do agree that it is not something that is nice to have to do, as a native speaker. Each country seems to have their own version of the test, and I know of at least 4 different versions and formats in SE Asia. Validations seem to be possible without the ICAO 4-6 "stamp", but full conversions require it in some form or another. I have no idea about the ME, Africa, or EU.

thesandbox
28th Apr 2010, 22:27
sorry if just a slight bit off topic but this seems the only recent relevant thread to inquire about an address change as well....

Does anyone know how the FAA would already have my new address in their system WITHOUT me giving it to them. I already inquired at my airline and nothing like that is passed along to the FAA by them. We moved a couple of months ago and finally bought the place we were renting so I went to go change my address online and it already showed the new one??? What the....???? Can they retrieve this info from other sources....IRS? Bank? Utilities etc... maybe a crewdec from customs???
I am just highly curious.

PROBEUSMC
30th Apr 2010, 22:31
English Proficient on your license means ICAO level 4. The FAA has a website. I haven't been on it for a while but you can download an official letter that states that "English Proficient means the license holder is ICAO level 4" If you have to prove it, print the letter off their website, and carry it with you.

More fun stuff? Look at where it is printed on your license. It is not printed under "ratings" it is printed under "limitations". Some countries view this as you have a limitation that you are not english proficient!!!!!

Why did they put it their. Your gonna love this. The software package that makes the new licenses only lets them put it there.

Ask me how I know this all???? LOL

courchevel
14th May 2010, 14:19
Hi PROBEUSMC

If you have any time to find the link to that FAA letter that states that "English Proficient means the license holder is ICAO level 4" I would be most grateful if you could post it here. I don't seem to be able to find it by myself though I spent quite some time on their website.

aileron34
15th May 2010, 15:13
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2008/info08012.pdf
(INFO 08012)

mutt
16th May 2010, 09:04
Our present requirement for pilots is level 5 for first officer and level 6 for Captains, this is after we discovered that the automatic issue of Level 4 was a joke!

Mutt

courchevel
16th May 2010, 09:31
Thank you, aileron34!

Duh
18th May 2010, 00:27
Our present requirement for pilots is level 5 for first officer and level 6 for Captains, this is after we discovered that the automatic issue of Level 4 was a joke!

Mutt

Which Company ?

Squawk7777
30th Jun 2010, 17:44
from the FAA document:

The FAA’s issuance of an “English Proficient” endorsement on a U.S. airman certificate attests that the airman meets the Level 4 operational standards found in ICAO Annex 1

Technically, it would mean that retesting is necessary every two years, correct?

What a mess... :ugh:

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Jul 2010, 19:51
My GCAA (UAE) has level 6 entered, as I took the test, by a German.

The FAA and JAA was automatic, and just ELP, ie level 4.

Is there such a beast as Level 6 ELP issued by JAA.

I agree that there are many pilots with level 4 who can not string two words together in English, yet they have ELP 4.

Can I get a job with you Mutt.

Glf

Squawk7777
5th Jul 2010, 05:18
I must be missing something but why is the current FAA approach considered a 'joke' or a 'mess'?

If I am not mistaken, ICAO Level 4 requires you to retake an English test every two years. The FAA doesn't require that. The only ELP that is exempt from having to retake the test periodically is level 6.

169west
9th Sep 2010, 12:32
English Proficient = Icao level 4 ... and both FAA and JAA know that!
Now for JAA and FAA level 4 is more than enough both for domestic and flag flights.
Some other organizations (especially if you are not a native speaker) they required an icao english certificate with at least a 4 and in same other cases they want a 6 (the max you can get).
To get a higher icao english level you need to take a test called TEA (Test of English for Aviation)
Test of English for Aviation - T.E.A. (http://www.maycoll.co.uk/aviation-english/tea.html)

xma05
12th Oct 2010, 18:21
*** Language Proficiency: English = Level 4 ***
Any links or official documents proving it?

joe grind
13th Oct 2010, 16:31
la corrección, "presiona 2 para inglés" !!!

non0
10th Nov 2010, 18:49
... is the TEA certificate valid also with an FAA license?
the FAA recognize the TEA certificate and instead of just saying 'English proficient' can they change it with a level 6?

an answer from an FAA representative would be greatly appreciated! thanks

MarkerInbound
10th Nov 2010, 23:39
Then you should probably call the FAA.

However I deal with them a fair amount.

is the TEA certificate valid also with an FAA license?

You would have to ask the TEA people. I can't see why having a pilot certificate from the FAA would invalidate a language certification from TEA.

Are you asking if the FAA recognizes a TEA certificate? The answer would be no. When you take the checkride with the Inspector/Examiner, one of the things they check is that you are able to communicate in English. They don't perform a separate English test but if you do not understand their questions and are not able to form answers, you will not pass the checkride.

the FAA recognize the TEA certificate and instead of just saying 'English proficient' can they change it with a level 6?

Are you asking if the FAA can change what is on your certificate to a level 6 if you have a certificate from TEA? Again, the answer would be no. All the FAA puts on the certificate is "English Proficient." You either are or are not.

S