PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL glider to power?

powerless
2nd Sep 2008, 18:03
Hi

I have an FAA PPL with just a Glider rating. Does anyone know what, apart from the medical side, is involved in adding a power rating to this or if it is just a complete start at the beginning again. I am UK based but this is a stand alone FAA licence and I would do the training in the US.

Thanks

nh2301
2nd Sep 2008, 18:26
I believe you need 20 hours of dual instruction in powered airplans and 10 hours solo in powered airplanes. Your checkride can skip the cross country part.

IFMU
3rd Sep 2008, 01:38
Google e-cfr to find the latest regs on the web. Select title 14, aeronatics & space. For your convenience I've pasted the latest here. I agree with nh2301 that you need a minimum of 20 dual and 10 solo. You will have to take another written. You will likely find the flying easy, but if you are like most glider guys in the US you will have a boatload to learn about airspace, navigation, and talking on the radio. We have guys in our club with over 1000 hours that regard that talking on the radio to people on the ground as mere superstition. If you structure your training well, you might make it in the minimum 30 hours. Good luck!

-- IFMU

§ 61.109 Aeronautical experience.

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least—

(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;

(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

(3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments, including straight and level flight, constant airspeed climbs and descents, turns to a heading, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, radio communications, and the use of navigation systems/facilities and radar services appropriate to instrument flight;

(4) 3 hours of flight training in preparation for the practical test in a single-engine airplane, which must have been performed within 60 days preceding the date of the test; and

(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least—

(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;

(ii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at a minimum of three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

nh2301
3rd Sep 2008, 04:35
To clarify my statement, you must still complete the cross country flight requirements, but the checkride itself may be reduced for certain tasks. This includes cross country flight planning, but not navigation tasks. Where it will really help is with the oral portion of the checkride.

powerless
3rd Sep 2008, 12:22
Thanks for the fast and clear answers guys. Have looked at the full information you suggested and appreciate you have already found me the most consise part, plenty to read through whilst the weather is not helpful to gliding here in the UK! Thanks. :ok: