PDA

View Full Version : The Sun Military Awards

LBGR
2nd Sep 2008, 00:40
Ministry of Defence | Defence News | People In Defence | MOD teams up with The Sun to launch military awards (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/ModTeamsUpWithTheSunToLaunchMilitaryAwards.htm)

Nominate for a Millies Award | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1619500.ece)

What is wrong with the notion of recieving a medal for going the extra mile? :ugh:

Are we really going to start handing out gongs on the basis of text message voting?

Who knows, maybe it will increase awareness? :hmm:

It even has the backing of the PoW!

Charles: Why I back The Millies | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article1631139.ece)

taxydual
2nd Sep 2008, 06:47
Will there be a Golden Envelope?

"And the winner is...."

For God's sake!

Two words come to mind.

1. Sun

2. Tacky

dessert_flyer
2nd Sep 2008, 07:54
And what do you win?????

Jacks Down
2nd Sep 2008, 07:58
My nominations:

Support to the Armed Forces: CGS
Best Airman: my desk officer (can't hurt!)

knowitall
2nd Sep 2008, 09:40
Do we get to vote people out of MOD Main building?

LBGR
2nd Sep 2008, 10:53
Sorry LBGR, I've missed your point (Don't come back at me like I'm having a go, I'm not).

Seems like a fair idea aimed at furthering public awareness of the UK military.

For God's sake!

Two words come to mind.

1. Sun

2. Tacky

Its pretty much that, its seems a little tacky, and I don't really understand the point of it. Yes I do see how it could raise awarness however, a) do we not already have a way of rewarding meritorious service and b) there are surely better ways of raising awarness than a national vote.

Surely those who vote will already have an understading of the forces anyway.

The Adjutant
2nd Sep 2008, 11:43
All seems a bit self serving in favour of the Sun to me. Bet the winner gets photo'ed with 2 x bare breasted beauties with Sun backdrop. I bet it's more about selling papers than supporting the troops.

Spoof Cold War Headline::

Its World War Three So Spot the Bomb and Win A Mini In The SUN Tomorrow.

ProM
2nd Sep 2008, 11:53
I didn't see the point until the Adjutant posted, but...

Would our soldiers, sailors and airmen (let's leave the female members aside for the moment) prefer a medal or an award from the Sun that gives them the chance to cuddle up to a couple of half naked models

Hmm this may be more popular than I thought at first.

And returning to the ladies I am sure the Sun will dig out some chippendale look alikes

taxydual
2nd Sep 2008, 14:33
Thank you, Adj.

My point exactly. All about selling 'papers.

Hey, maybe we could all play Sun Bingo whilst filling in the nomination forms and, at the same time, enjoy a week's holiday for £5 at Pontins or Butlitz while quaffing our free 2 cans of lager free in this weeks Sun. (Just collect 5 tokens).

If The Sun wanted to do something serious, why not get Rupert M to put his hand in his pocket and sponsor Headley Court or something for the H for H Charity.

Sun Medals. Pish!!!

Tacky, just Tacky!.

Twon
4th Sep 2008, 15:36
It seems a bit pointless as we already have an operational honours list, using testimony from the chain of command and colleagues to secure an award for bravery.

The risk is that if a SUN recipient has not got a gong, pressure will then be brought to bear by same paper for MoD to award a formal one (SUN headline "MoD refuses to honour 'Our Boys'!")

I agree; it's just tacky and demeans the formal awards already issued to Beharry and other deserving GC MM etc recipients.

MoD should be avoiding this at all costs, not cosying up to Mr Murdoch and helping to line his pockets.

Sorry for the rant - long day!

Gnd
5th Sep 2008, 12:37
I agree, thats the Op list. Maybe a better petition would be 'the I screw the forces about' award - hotels that don't let forces in or shops that don't let uniform(forces) in?

22/7 Master
5th Sep 2008, 14:19
It would be a much better idea for the Current Bun to make awards to those at home who support the Armed Forces.

Highlight those businesses that offer support, discounts, charitible donations and the like.

exscribbler
5th Sep 2008, 21:22
...and here we have RAF Cpl Wayne Kerr who has just returned from battling the Taliban in Afghanistan and has been awarded the Sun Highest International Testimonial. He can't wait to wear it after 18 year-old stunner Kadie from Aylesbury has had her hands on it....

Good, eh? Just what's needed, I am sure.

jindabyne
24th Dec 2009, 10:39
2009 Programme

I didn't see last year's programme (can't bring myself to use the word 'awards'), and I wasn't aware of this year's event, until I selected the channel by chance. To me, it was so appallingly cringe-making that it was turned off after just a few minutes. I hear the views that money was raised for Help the Heroes and that it raised public awareness, but do our Royals, CDS, SofS and all of those other luminaries who attended really need such a tacky platform to (a)support a cause which MoD itself should be responsible for, and (b)parade our fine troops in such a demeaning way? Streuth.

anotherthing
24th Dec 2009, 10:57
As someone stated on the much larger thread about this on Arrse, why get on your high horse about it?

The people who attended, all ranks, didn't get forced to attend. There were a lot of serving personnel there who didn't receive awards, thus they were there by choice and they seemd to enjoy it.

There is an awards system, but apart from exceptional stories of bravery, what do the public get to hear of them?

So it might not be the best way of doing it, but it does raise awareness and gives Joe Public a glimpse (however tacky) of what is going on around them. There were also awards for SAR in the UK etc.

Allegedly, support for the Armed Forces is at an all time high - how do you think that happened? It's the likes of the Sun and 'tacky' programmes on C5 that bring things into the living room of the public.

Yes, there are very valid arguments about how can you deem one unit to be 'the best unit' above others etc, but why not take the thing at face value? it raises awareness.

The Sun, a crap newspaper, has raised the profile of H4H immensely. You can't whinge about lack of public support (as some people have on here - and quite rightly), then whinge again about programmes that aim to raise awareness.

The Sun does it - if they didn't, who else would? It's far from perfect, but I bet donations to mil charities have benefitted hugely.

Jindabyne

...really need such a tacky platform to (a)support a cause which MoD itself should be responsible for, and (b)parade our fine troops in such a demeaning way
Point (a) is moot. We all agree the MOD should do it, or more specifically HMG, but they don't. So why sit around bemoaning the fact? If someone else is willing to take up the task then fair do's.

Point (b). I watched it, being ex forces. I knew about a few of the highlighted acts of bravery, but not all of them. I didn't see any of the rank and file looking demeaned either when receiving an award, or in the crowd.

jindabyne
24th Dec 2009, 11:08
I should've added - Ducks for Cover!! BTW, related opinions on ARSSE are, not surprisingly, equally divided, roughly.

So why sit around bemoaning the fact?

I don't.

Top Bunk Tester
24th Dec 2009, 11:08
Don't want to get into the rights and wrongs of the Millies, but just a question.

Does anybody know why, when all other serving officers were wearing either No1s or No 5s, were HRHW & HRHH, as serving officers, wearing DJs. Not earth shattering I know but just wondered about the protocol.

anotherthing
24th Dec 2009, 11:38
So why sit around bemoaning the fact? I don't.
Sorry, jindabyne - it's very difficult to convey meaning or context on forums. By the above I meant in a general context, not specifically that you were sitting round bemoaning!!

And you are correct, the other forum has a divided opinion. I think (purely supposition) that serving members are more likely to find it tacky etc than joe public - and on anonymous forums it is difficult to distinguish between the two.

In my mind as ex Forces, I think that anything that raises the awareness of members of the public who have either never served, or don't have any family links to the military is a good thing. If it takes a tacky (but top selling) newspaper to do that, then that's what it takes!!

TBT

Possibly as it was not an official function, uniform was not mandatory?

Also, maybe the Royals might have thought that wearing uniform may have detracted from those serving personnel in the audience? Maybe it was a way of trying not to take the limelight? Just a guess, obviously :ok:.

muppetofthenorth
24th Dec 2009, 11:54
Were the same people complaining after Major Packer got his award at SPOTY?

So the tv show wasn't to your taste, never thought of pressing the 'off' button?

jindabyne
24th Dec 2009, 12:12

Somewhat different comparison

So the tv show wasn't to your taste, never thought of pressing the 'off' button?

Try reading what I said, muppet

vecvechookattack
24th Dec 2009, 13:25
Quote:
Somewhat different comparison

Not really. Its the same comparison

Bismark
24th Dec 2009, 13:55
You can't have it both ways. Either you want public support and recognition or you don't. The Sun has the greatest circulation of any newspaper and thus any support it gives has to be of value.

I watched the whole thing with my family and all thought it was emotional and a good event. The vast majority of winners had already received a significant bravery award and it was good the hear their stories again.

On uniforms it was interesting. The Royal Princes were dressed exactly right, it was the likes of Lord West and Gen Daannatt I couldn't quite fathom out. LW, as a government Minister should have been in civvies, and Dannatt as Gov of Tower of London surely should have been in uniform?

But overall I would have thought the stars that attended would have found the soldiers, sailors and airmen they sat next to inspiring, and probably vice versa.

PPRuNe Pop
24th Dec 2009, 17:32
But overall I would have thought the stars that attended would have found the soldiers, sailors and airmen they sat next to inspiring, and probably vice versa.

From my view I believe they did. It was highly charged as you would expect, and the Sun should have the credit for getting it up front for all to see.

The more the forces get the publicity they rightly deserve the better. Whingeing is a non starter. Feel proud of them. They are an amazing bunch of guys and gals who must be supported. They have to know that we all do.

jindabyne
24th Dec 2009, 17:50
PPRuNe Pop

Whingeing is not something I'm normally associated with.

I once asked the then RAAF's CAF would he seriously consider a Russian option as his choice of F18/F111 replacement. He replied that he'd do a deal with the devil if it represented the best solution for his air force. In that loose context, I have to acknowledge that there's probably no such thing as bad publicity, and the Sun's initiative probably won't have done much harm in keeping the Forces' profile in the eyes and minds of the masses.

If that's what it takes, tackiness and all, then so be it. I withdraw - to the pub, where I will continue with HFH fundraising efforts.

foldingwings
24th Dec 2009, 21:09
I have to say that I found the whole thing very 'Council House'! The people who represented the celebrities were, in my opinion, from the bottom shelf. There is a well tested and well trusted system for recognising heroism and the MOD addresses the issues when thay are presented through the command chain and awards on merit.

However, this show does keep the British public aware and accordingly, love it or hate it (I fall into the latter category), let it be!

Although I do agree with Jinda, it is borrocks!

Foldie:ok:

vecvechookattack
24th Dec 2009, 21:28
I have to say that I found the whole thing very 'Council House'!

What is a council House ?...... Is it the same as a Married Quarter?

anotherthing
25th Dec 2009, 08:46
'council house':ugh:

There are many fine upstanding citizens who live in council houses. You will find that a huge number (possibly the majority) of the 'common soldier' are from 'council house' backgrounds.

Does that make them any worse than you or I? In fact not worse than me, because my parents lived in a council house when I was born and I lived in one until I was about 11.

My parents were fortunate(?) enough in a Scottish Borders textile town to scrape together enough money to buy their own house - they then went on, through hard work and a bit of being in the right place at the right time, to progress in their careers and ended up with very nice houses. My council house background got me into the FAA as Officer Aircrew. It got me to a very well paid and responsible job where I am today, when I left the RN

If you're going to try to describe the way you felt about the 'Millys', at least don't be a snob about it. Some of our finest and bravest soldiers come from council houses.

In civvy street some of our most upstanding and hardworking citizens live in council houses because their wages as nurses, cleaners etc can't stretch to anything else.

Winco
25th Dec 2009, 09:01
Well, I agree with the majority on here that it was bit tacky, but I have to say that it was good to see so many celeb's paying tribute to our armed forces, not only those that won one of these things, but all the boys and girls in general. It was good to have it 'in our faces' at such a time.

So well done to the Sun for bringing it into our living rooms.

For those who found it just too tacky and too cringing to watch, the OFF button is usually located on the front of the set (or there's the plug in the wall)

A very Merry Christmas to everyone of our service men and women who will not be with their family (again) this year and who continue to allow the rest of us sleep soundly in our beds at night. Thank you.

Winco

jindabyne
25th Dec 2009, 09:05
For those who found it just too tacky and too cringing to watch, the OFF button is usually located on the front of the set (or there's the plug in the wall)

As I said to muppet, earlier ----

Regardless. Seasons Greetings this day to everyone, and a Happy 'n Safe New Year - especially to all those on operations.

foldingwings
25th Dec 2009, 14:22
It was just an expression often used in the military and no offence was intended or implied. If any taken, I offer my apologies.

Merry Christmas to one and all and, as Jindabyne said, especially to all those in harms way who have been less fortunate than I who has spent the day surrounded by my family.

Best Wishes to all PPRuNers.

Foldie

sonas
25th Dec 2009, 14:57
Didn't see it all. I thought for once it was a good advert for the young men and women protecting us. Individuals were nominated for designated awards and each one focused on the team effort.
As mentioned earlier in the post no one was forced to attend and did so off they're own freewill.
Merry Christmas Guys and Girls. Stay Safe.:)

Climebear
26th Dec 2009, 04:00
Some of our finest and bravest soldiers come from council houses.

A superb response to an ill thought out post that did more to highlight the poster's biggotry than it made point. :D

bakseetblatherer
26th Dec 2009, 04:41
Well that is the end of taking the Michael out of the yanks about their medals....

anotherthing
26th Dec 2009, 08:54
Doubt it - there's a difference between receiving public recognition for ones deeds by way of an award that will never be seen outside the recipients house, and wearing medals on your uniform for passing basic training etc :}