PDA

View Full Version : Blackbush local area

finalapproach
1st Sep 2008, 21:03
I'm flying to Blackbush in the near future to pick up a (non pilot) mate who wants to come flying. Can anyone advise where the best local area to there is for some upper air work,give him a bit of experience in straight & level, turning,climbing/decending etc. Unlike where I'm based the area around Blackbush seems to be full of DA's, MATZ's etc. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Duchess_Driver
1st Sep 2008, 21:34
You could work out towards CPT to the northwest of the airfield. Plenty of free airspace - R101 and R104 are both upto 2400' with the base of the TMA in that area at 5000' and over Greenham it goes up to FL65

ShyTorque
1st Sep 2008, 22:36
If you go 5nms northeast and call Heathrow approach, they will give you a few turns.

Only joking! Be aware that the area to the north towards WOD is a very busy transit area, best not to linger there.

Watch out for the large number of complainers in the vicinity immediately to the north (the local area map has lots of red circles, some of them where grumpy air traffickers live. :p ).

Fright Level
2nd Sep 2008, 00:30
If you fly 40-50 miles south, not only the base of the TMA rises but so does the scenic interest (compared to the M4 corridor) as you get towards the coast, Portsmouth, IOW etc

Stik
2nd Sep 2008, 12:43
Our 'local area' might be considered as out to the west. Head for the Kingsclere mast/ Newbury area. You can get some altitude and there's plenty of room. It's where the schools do most of the handling training. Get a service from Farnborough on 125.250, and be aware of Aldermarston & Burghfield zones, along with the Odiham matz ( not usually an issue ) and Boscombe et al further out to the west.

jtipper1
2nd Sep 2008, 13:05
Dont forget to PPR by phone!! For some reason some of the ATC are getting a little snotty if you don't.
I have been based there for nearly 20yrs. Forgot to PPR by phone a while ago, ( never had to befiore) when returning after a couple of days, was asked my intentions when I called for joining!!
Taxied in was asked again my intentions!!!!!
replied "parking my aircraft at my parking slot" !!!
:ok:
A little common sense please!!

whowhenwhy
2nd Sep 2008, 16:27
I was just going to say Kingsclere! British Rail west bound initially to keep you clear of the Odiham ATZ speaking to Farnborough. Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but it's 2000ft AGL which equates to about 2500ft QNH - you'd be amazed the number of people who think they're clear of the ATZ at 2000ft QNH!:mad:

Fright Level
2nd Sep 2008, 18:45
which equates to about 2500ft QNH

Just be careful about not staying at that altitude coming back under the LTMA!

bern444
2nd Sep 2008, 21:06
Dont forget to PPR by phone!! For some reason some of the ATC are getting a little snotty if you don't.

Yes indeed - we've been having to visit from Fairoaks a lot lately, since we've had no fuel on the field. Someone the other day forgot to PPR and was refused permission to land at Blackbush - though the only reason to visit was to provide them with revenue.

B

Duchess_Driver
2nd Sep 2008, 23:31
There has been NOTAMs recently about no circuits for visiting aircraft due staff shortages. Maybe this is why they want you to PPR. Not unreasonable.

Human Factor
3rd Sep 2008, 08:24
There may be upside down Yaks around Greenham. :ok:

whowhenwhy
3rd Sep 2008, 19:10
Are they trying to compete with the rheindeer for Father Christmas' attentions - it is getting nearer to the season to be jolly, after all Tescos are selling big tins of sweets again. Surely the big guy holds auditions????:ok: