PDA

View Full Version : EASA and PPl holders instructing

echobeach
1st Sep 2008, 19:01
Before posting I have searched and looked on the instructors page but I cant find a answer to this particular situation.

I read in one of the flying publications that under new EASA regs that it will be possible to have an instructors rating and work as an instructor with out having a CPL or doing the CPL theory exams but just completing a course. This I may have misundestood.

I have read as much as I can about this but I am still not entirely clear that I understand this issue and when the new regs in respect of instructing come in to place.

I post this under private flying as I see this as something I would only want to do as an extension of a passion for all things flying related and not as a career (too old for that !).

I have seen that some here e.g Bose X instruct, I think as an addition to the day job, and this is something I have been considering for a while. I would like to do the rating not just for instructing but as another way of sharpening up my own flying. I have a long way to go but I have found that every rating I have done I learn more and my technique improves. I have tried to add 1 or 2 ratings per year in the 3 years I have had the PPL and I have enjoyed every one.

It seems to be that for someone who is not going down the ATPL route that this may a way of spending more time doing what I most enjoy i.e being immersed in flying.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be most appreciated

BEagle
1st Sep 2008, 20:04
It is proposed under part-FCL 2008-17b at FCL.205.A PPL(A) Privileges that the holder of a PPL(A) may receive remuneration for the provision of flight instruction.

Subject to meeting the FI course entry requirements (which do NOT include the requirement for CPL knowledge) and passing the FI Skill Test, it is proposed that it will be possible to add a FI 'Certificate' to a PPL(A).

But not for about another 4 years......

echobeach
1st Sep 2008, 20:44
that is very clear. I could not see when the new reg came in. I assume i now need to do cpl theory to get onto a fi course. Will give me some book work to do over the winter. Thanks

Legal Beagle
2nd Sep 2008, 18:57
BEagle...(no relation!)...why 4 years?

Is this something you know, or are you just despairing at the time the regulators take to do anything?

(I am aware that the merits or otherwise of this particular proposed change have been discussed at length on another thread so am not going to go into that again!)