PDA

View Full Version : GPS unit suddenly US. Can anyone help ?

echobeach
30th Aug 2008, 17:29
My trusty Garmin 296 GPS seems to have stopped working and I wonder if someone has the answer to my problem.

When I switched on the portable GPS this morning it would not acquire a satellite signal. I have never had this problem in over 2 years of use and it has always worked. I switched to an external antenna and no joy. I have searched the garmin web site to no avail.

Obviously I only use my GPS as a back up to VFR flight, and was pleased to have flown M25 airfield to LFAT and back without it today to prove to self that is only a useful back up. Especially as much of flight was IFR. I have to say we had a superb service from Farn LARs.

Has this happened to any of the GPS experts here. Is there a simple reboot / reset I cant find, or has the unit run its course. Seems a bit much for this to give up after only 2 years use.

If anyone has any ideas would be most grateful as the manual offers no help at all.

Fitter2
30th Aug 2008, 18:45
I have seen this recently on a small number of units. Almost certainly the displayed date/time on the signal acquisition screen will be wildly wrong.

My educated guess is that there is an internal real time clock which maintains the almanac, and when it goes wrong your fault happens.

Return to your dealer complaining, and they should be able to get Garmin to fix it (quite likely with a new replacement).

dublinpilot
30th Aug 2008, 19:16
Read the manual carefully, looking for the reset option. It probably involves holding the buttons in some unlikely combination for 5+ seconds.

This clears all the stored gps values. Then bring the unit outside where it has a good view of the sky and give it some time.

dp

Pilot DAR
30th Aug 2008, 23:21
Yes, what dublinpilot refers to is also called a "cold start" or "hard start". search for those terms in the manual, or website, then do what it says to cause it to happen. Anything you stored will be lost. I had to do this once on a Garmin, and it worked fine.

echobeach
31st Aug 2008, 07:51
Thanks for the advice. Fitter2 - correct, the clock had changed to western US time as far as can see. Autolocate restarted and full satellite signals reaquired and seems to working fine.:)

Seems others have reported similar and if the above doesnt work I have found the master reset instructions. Nothing in manual or on Garmin web site but found this if any one has similar problem. It is indeed an unlikely combination of buttons to press.

Thanks very much for the answers.

Master Reset - With the unit off and all cables disconnected and any
datacard removed, press and hold the OUT+QUIT+NRST buttons. Tap the POWER
button once for about .5 - 1 second. (The unit will beep and power up to a
shaded screen.) Continue holding the OUT+QUIT+NRST buttons for about 6 - 8
seconds and then release. If the unit powers off or refuses to power up to
full brightness, remove and re-install the battery and perform this reset
procedure only one more time. Again remove and re-install the battery. The
unit should now function properly. After this is done, enable the WAAS
function and take it outside to let it acquire the satellite signals for
about 10 minutes

Red Chilli
1st Sep 2008, 13:14
A slightly easier reset which also does the trick (I've used it twice) is to simply hold the 'out' key down when powering up the unit until the 'I agree' screen is seen - a new satellite lock will quickly follow.

echobeach
1st Sep 2008, 19:03
That sounds easier to remember. Will try that if needed. Thanks

Radix
2nd Sep 2008, 13:26

Mike Barnard
2nd Sep 2008, 16:39
My 296 has experienced very similar problems since updating to software version 5.something ans has not improved with 5.40, which contained 'improved satellite aquisition under certain conditions'.

I've not done a Master Reset yet but am seeing gross errors on the date/time on power-up if left switched off for a few days with a fully charged battery. On power-on it'll often take so long searching (EGNOS enabled) that it comes back with the 'continue searching?' question, to which answering 'stored without batteries' generally speeds things up. Once it's fully aquired, powering back on within an hour or so gives almost instantaneous lock-on.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364208 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364208) suggests replacing the internal memory battery, but Garmin UK's response is so long as the unit isn't losing saved data such as routes etc. the battery's fine. But they also say "pay us £150 before you ship it back and we'll fix it".

Has anyone who's done the Master Reset with software 5.40 confirmed it genuinely corrects the date/time error even after several days switched off?

Mike

hedgehopper
2nd Sep 2008, 18:33
http://http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1201-full.html#198685 (http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1201-full.html#198685)

Fright Level
2nd Sep 2008, 19:17
GPS unit suddenly US

I thought you meant the basemap had suddenly changed :}:}

Lasiorhinus
3rd Sep 2008, 12:17
Obviously I only use my GPS as a back up to VFR flight,

So do the rest of us :}

echobeach
4th Sep 2008, 05:12
I only made the comment about using GPS as a back up to vfr flight as I pointed out that the flight I made was IFR in IMC for most of the way. If I hadnt said this, someone would have said dont use a VFR GPS for IFR flight (which I dont).

Fuji Abound
4th Sep 2008, 07:31
Echobeach

Hope you are aware you shouldnt be using a hand held GPS for IMC ops. :ok:

There, I have said it!

Lasiorhinus
4th Sep 2008, 11:02
For what its worth, I use GPS as a primary navigation instrument on VFR flight. Never sole means, but primary means, for sure. Its better at it than I am.

Mike Barnard
5th Sep 2008, 17:43
The problem is with the GPSMAP 296, not the older Flybuddy. Just keen to hear whether doing a Master Reset with 5.40 installed really does cure the date/time problem on power-up.

Mike

Mike Barnard
3rd Nov 2008, 14:25
This thread is a bit old but just to say that I recently returned my 4yr old GPSMAP296 to Garmin in the UK who performed some kind of reset on it, free of charge. It works fine now, remembers the current date/time and locks on within seconds from powering up. Pretty good customer service!

DashRiprock
10th Jun 2009, 23:02
I have tried what you suggested on the Reset for the Garmin 296,

Does it need to be plugged in at all? I had to do it once before on this same problem I am having. Does it need to be pluged in first? Cheers,

Cows getting bigger
11th Jun 2009, 06:13
No, as long as it has power (mains or battery). As previously stated, the symptom is an inaccurate clock. If this is the case, a hard reset will work as the unit will then rebuild it's almanac after finding a number of satellites. GPS theory says that this initial acquisition can take up to 12 minutes.

Once you have it working, just try to remember to switch the unit on for a few minutes every couple of weeks. This will allow it to update itself.

DX Wombat
11th Jun 2009, 21:10
I wonder if someone has the answer to my problemHave you tried this? http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/97901.jpg
On a serious note, hope you find a solution.

Mark 1
11th Jun 2009, 23:40
I've had the same problem and also have a few colleagues with similar X96 garmins.

The Power/Zoom-out combination overcome the problem initially.
The underlying problem was an internal battery that had expired after 4-5 years.
Its not a trivial job to replace the battery. I sent mine to Garmin UK who replaced it under 'warranty' for free, so I got a new Li-ion battery and database into the bargain. Most impressive customer support.
Some people have replaced the battery themselves and there is an instruction document on the web if you search.