PDA

View Full Version : BA on board entertainment - choice of language

stellagiulia
26th Aug 2008, 18:05
I booked a flight from LHR to BWI for some relatives of mine to travel next week.
I am trying to find out if on BA (I know you can on some other airlines) you can choose the language on the on board entertainment unit. BA customer relation did not know the answer, on the website you can see the program but does not give you any other information. I believe they'll be flying on a Boeing 767.
Maybe a BA C/C that has done this route or knows this a/c can help me.
Thank you very much...:)

raffele
26th Aug 2008, 20:09
Unless the CC can do it (like setting parental controls), it's not possible to change language. WYSIWYG!

Based on personal experience of course. No doubt someone will come and correct me...

Glamgirl
26th Aug 2008, 22:08
As far as I know, the B767 has not been fitted with the new AVOD, and therefore the IFE will be in English only. I'm quite possibly wrong, and apologize if I am.

Gg

apaddyinuk
27th Aug 2008, 12:29
Actually, the 767 was the first fleet to be fitted with AVOD and so far is the only fleet to be relatively trouble free with its AVOD updates.

Having said that there is not really a system available to play in different languages. Sometimes movies have French/Spanish or Hindi available depending on the route. One of these languages may be available on your flight but it seems to be a bit of a grey area as everytime I get asked this question onboard and I ask the CSD about it I never seem to come back with a complete answer! lol!
What language are you looking for?

stellagiulia
30th Aug 2008, 03:14
Thanks Apaddyinuk. It would be Italian. :)
Nothing to do with the route. I wanted them to fly to BWI directly from Europe, so they did not have to pick up cases and clear custom in the US as it can be very difficult when you do not speak the language, BA was the best choice.

apaddyinuk
30th Aug 2008, 13:56
Ah cool.

Well it probably is the best bet for them then if it means they will be close to their final destination. Unfortunately I doubt there will be any Italian movies on the flight so it may be worth advising them in advance to download a few programmes onto their iPod or something, or if they are of a different generation just tell them to pack a good book!

However the chances of there being at least one italian speaking crew member on board are high as we have loads of Italians working for us. Plus if they are flying after the 17th september they will be transiting through T5 so it should make it a lot less painful!

Best of luck with it!
T