PDA

View Full Version : Logging of flying hours gained abroad

JamesTigris
23rd Aug 2008, 19:58
I'm currently training for my PPL but to keep my experience up I'm looking to take a flying holiday around Australia, where the hours are cheap (see family along the way!).

I have looked into the complications of actually arranging to fly down under, but what are the implications for logging my hours when in Oz (or anywhere outside the UK for that matter)?

Can I log flying time abroad (presumably all in foreign registered aircraft) in the same way as I do now? Would I differentiate?

BackPacker
23rd Aug 2008, 21:21
What I've heard about AUS is that it is incredibly complicated to get your foreign ICAO license validated for flight in AUS registered aircraft, due to security checks etc. Generally not worth it for just a flying holiday, even if the only thing you want is Day VFR PPL privileges.

So most likely you'll not be able to fly as PIC, but you'll either be a Pax alongside a CPL, or Pu/t alongside an FI acting as PIC.

If you want the Pu/t hours to count towards license issue or revalidation, make sure that the instructor countersigns them, and preferably collect some sort of paper trail as to the number and types of exercises you did.

Julian
24th Aug 2008, 09:58
Yes you can log hours flown abroad, however ensure you log them as required by your licence as there can be differences.

The classic one always quoted here is the fact that under FAA a safety pilot can also log P1 as well as the PIC, under JAA this is not allowed only one person can log P1.

I have never flown in Oz but there will probably be differences again as we always seem to do things differently to everyone else! :}

J.

Whirlybird
24th Aug 2008, 11:15
Before doing my FI rating I did lots of hourbuilding in both the USA and Russia. I had no problems at all with the CAA accepting the hours...though I did make sure I had all the stamps and signatures I could get for the Russian flying!!!

B2N2
24th Aug 2008, 14:02
Just have the hrs validated by the FBO school or rental outfit. A stamp & signature of the admin or Chief Instructor.
To be sure keep all the receipts and invoices to back up those hrs in your logbook. happy flying..

Whopity
24th Aug 2008, 22:07
If you held a licence no problem but as you have stated that you are a PPL student then I am afraid that any hours gained outside a JAA registered facility will not count towards the minimum hours required for licence issue.

That does not mean that you can't log them, they are relevant experience, and its a good idea to get a signature and stamp to show they are authentic.