PDA

View Full Version : EASA Part M on TBO?

AN2 Driver
23rd Aug 2008, 09:44
Hi there,

as a non maintenance guy it's a bit difficult to make sense of it all.

Up so far, I learnt that for privately operated planes below 5700 kg, TBO is a recommendation only, whereby a continuation over TBO must be accompanied by regular "on condition" assessments whether an engine needs to be sent to be overhauled or not. Even more so, the recommended time of 12 years between overhauls was not very often adhered to, at least not here.

Now what goes through the grapevine with a touch of panic thrown in is that from 2010 on TBO in engine time AND the 12 year limit are to be taken sacrosanct by EASA, that is even an engine with, say, half time running hours between overhauls will have to be done after 12 years.

If that is true, that means the end for many private owner/operators who fly 100-150 hours per year, as in 12 years they loose a good 30-40% of the available potential. Even worse for people who acquire a plane with 1000 hours remaining but only 2-3 years, or worse, an engine with 300 hours to go but in perfect health.

What is your uptake on this? Does this apply to ALL light aircraft engines or does it only apply if you do not issue a specific maintenance program under Subpart M?

What I am interested in are engines like the o320/360 series as I am considering to become an owner again after a few years absence.

Best regards
AN2 Driver

EGBKFLYER
23rd Aug 2008, 17:55
Might be worth asking this in the engineering forum... I'm not sure of an answer, but the bit of Part M that I think may apply is this:

M.A.503 Service life limited components
Installed service life limited components shall not exceed the approved service life limit as specified in the approved maintenance programme and airworthiness directives.

You can read that two ways - either it gets overhauled when the manufacturer says so or else if 'on condition' extensions are part of the approved maintenance programme, you could continue with present methods, meaning there's nothing to worry about...

Maybe someone more qualified in this area can comment?

robin
23rd Aug 2008, 20:57
Given the way the CAA enforce EASA regs, what hope is there....?:ugh: