PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory forms after a "pan pan" ?

PompeyPaul
19th Aug 2008, 12:23
I was just wondering if there was any mandatory form filling required if you ever declare a "pan pan" or a "mayday" ?

From Air Law I remember there were all sorts of reports you had to issue if an accident occured, but there was nothing specifically to distress calls.

Cough
19th Aug 2008, 18:21
Having done a few 'pan pan's in my time in airliners, we always have to submit a MOR (CAP 382 refers (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP382.PDF)). Now if you look in the applicability section you will find that only AOC holders have to do this, so I guess (ie. I can't say for sure) you don't have to do anything provided nothing further reportable occurs. If you want to be sure, then give the CAA a quick ring.

Bear in mind that the ATC unit that you transmit the PAN/Mayday call to will have to submit a report, so the CAA will have a record of your distress call. If there is any queries, then they will definitely call you. So I would keep a personal record of what occurs (in some detail in case) but then go down the boozer....

All my opinion of course!

dublinpilot
19th Aug 2008, 21:08
My understanding is that the declaration of a pan or a mayday in itself doesn't require any reports for a private flight.

Now if you have an accident or incident at the end of it, that may trigger a report, but it would do anyway, even if you hadn't declared an emergency.

BackPacker
19th Aug 2008, 22:36
I recently had a birdstrike on final, which made a serious dent in the wing. Continued the landing, did report "PH-XXX, birdstrike, landing" but never declared a pan or mayday. Nevertheless, collecting the paperwork and writing down a statement for the authorities took the better part of three hours.

So I guess it's the incident/accident that counts, not whether you've actually declared a pan or anything else.

(This was in the Netherlands though. It may be different in the UK.)