PDA

View Full Version : N reg in the UK

Sakura-Ichiban
19th Aug 2008, 02:45
Hi I am thinking of bringing a new 172 Skyhawk to the UK under N reg, would anybody be interested in sharing / renting it. I don't need to use it all the time and it makes sense to let other FAA certificate holders have access to an N reg. Anybody interested please leave a post

BroomstickPilot
19th Aug 2008, 06:00
Hi Sakura-Ichiban,

It all depends on where you propose to locate your 172.

If you are able to say where it will be kept, I am sure you will find people in that locality that will be interested.

Broomstick Pilot

Sakura-Ichiban
21st Aug 2008, 13:19
Hello and thanks for the reply. I am not sure of location yet, depends on job location, but it looks like in the middle of the UK Northampton area maybe. When I get more information I happy to let you know

BackPacker
21st Aug 2008, 13:54
Sakura-Ichiban, just a heads-up:

With the new EASA regulations coming in force, I have heard that the CAA has plans to modify the law so that keeping an aircraft on the N-register indefinitely while it is imported in the UK, would be impossible.

As I am not personally a stakeholder in this debate, I don't follow it closely, but you might want to search PPRuNe and the CAA website for the latest details before you commit to this plan.

IO540
21st Aug 2008, 14:57
Currently there is NO proposal to boot out N-reg planes from UK or Europe; France and the UK having pushed out and then abandoned such proposals in recent years.

However, EASA has published an extremely depressing consultation (http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc/NPA/NPA%202008-17b.pdf)which (see pages 159-161) completely kills all foreign license privileges for European residents.

EASA is planning to honour foreign licenses in Europe only on the basis of a reciprocal treaty on mutual license acceptance, signed with each relevant country. The USA is IMHO most unlikely to amend FAR 61.3 or whatever to suit that little self-important place called Europe, so this proposal is basically a V-sign to America. One should never propose something from which the only way back is a humiliation so I don't really understand what EASA is trying to do here. They either "know" they will win, or they are happy to start a war with the corporate/bizjet population.

EASA is scheduled to publish another consultation mid September which will address foreign planes. I don't know of anybody who knows what this will contain. It could be OK or it could be another total disaster for European instrument pilots.

Sakura-Ichiban
23rd Aug 2008, 01:56
Thank you for your post.
The aircraft will be temporarily in the UK, US law states that 60% flying time must be in the US, otherwise you loose the "N" During my time in the UK I will utilize the plane as much as I can, but that will only be perhaps 10 days a month. she is fully IFR so I am not limited to daytime flying.

Thanks

Ando Taro

IO540
23rd Aug 2008, 05:11
US law states that 60% flying time must be in the US, otherwise you loose the "N"

Do you have a reference for this?

Fournier Boy
23rd Aug 2008, 06:28
I'm with Back-packer - I'm sure I've read somewhere too a proposal for discontinuing support of N registered aircraft in any European state - before I do any more, let me do some diggin around to find where I read it. As soon as I do I will post the content with a referance.

FB

Cathar
23rd Aug 2008, 14:10
Quote:
US law states that 60% flying time must be in the US, otherwise you loose the "N"

Do you have a reference for this?

I believe that Sakura-Ichiban is thinking about section 9 of Part 47 which applies to aircraft owned non-US corporations doing business in the US.

IO540
23rd Aug 2008, 16:22
US Federal law requires aircraft operated outside of United States airspace for more than 40 percent of their flying hours during any six calendar month period, to be "legally owned” and "registered" by a "Citizen of the United States."
FAR 47.9 refers.

That is very interesting because it means that when you import an N-reg, or transfer a plane to N-reg, you don't have to put it in a U.S. trust for 6 months, doesn't it?

Are you sure SoCal the bit you quoted is the only relevant provision?

Sakura-Ichiban
24th Aug 2008, 04:00
FAR Section 47.3
Requires that an aircraft is eligible for US registration only if it is owned by:
1.) A U.S. Citizen
2.) A permanent resident in the U.S (green card)
3.) A non citizen U.S corporation, if the aircraft is based and used primarily in the U.S. (this means 60% or more of it's flight time is in the U.S
There are other relevant sections dealing with trusts and trustee, FAR 47.11

Regarding the 60% rule, the FAA will track your aircraft every 6 months and monitor the use (Form 8050-117)

For my particular case this is ample enough time.

Regards