PDA

View Full Version : Flying a Chipmunk with the canopy open.

BoeingBoy
18th Aug 2008, 21:03
Can anyone tell me if you there are any limitations on flying a Chimpunk with the canopy open. I see pictures on the net of Australian ones flying with the canopy on the first stop back but there is no mention of it in any manuals or cards that I have for the UK versions.

The only owner I have discussed it with said that when he tried it the canopy rolled to the rear stop.

I would like to get a bit more air through the cockpit on a hot day so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BB

S-Works
18th Aug 2008, 21:25
I do it all the time when it's hot!! Flew back from an air show in France on a boiling hot day in really gusty, turbulent conditions and NEEDED the lid open!!!!

I usually open it to the first stop without problems. Would not keep it open for aeros though.

MIKECR
18th Aug 2008, 21:45
I've done quite a bit of towing with one of the lycoming converted chippie's and never had a problem flying canopy open(1st stop). I usually climb out around 65kts and then close it for the descent, it gets too rattly and noisy once the speed builds up.

modelman
18th Aug 2008, 22:04
Mikecr wrote:

I usually climb out around 65kts

When do you get back in?;)

MM

MIKECR
18th Aug 2008, 22:06
Ha ha, yes, you got me :ok:!! Once im satisfied the glider pilot aint gonna kill me!!:}

'India-Mike
18th Aug 2008, 22:17
Canadian (bubble) canopy Chipmunks should be flown with canopy open for take off and landing. That way if you end up inverted on the ground you can crawl out.

By the same token if you fly a 'glasshouse' canopied version you should take off and land with the canopy closed. That way you'll still be able to get out via the jettisionable side panels. Just slide your canopy to the first stop and then visualise trying to get out via the push-out panel - you'll see what I mean - you simply won't do it.

Otherwise I believe there is no limitation. At anything over 65 knots I struggle to slide the canopy. But it's worth it:ok:

diginagain
18th Aug 2008, 22:27
A colleague of mine on an early solo cross-country on the Army Pilots Course decided to open the canopy, in order to look 'cool'.

Unfortunately it missed the stop and slid right back, leaving him to spend the rest of the trip in a rather draughty cockpit, and without the benefit of a map.

Weekend Flyer
19th Aug 2008, 06:32
I have found that the Canopy slides closed in the airflow if not latched and it takes some effort to move it backwards at normal cruise speeds. This is why the soft wire-locked flap is situated in the centre of the ceiling of the canopy - to be used to assist full opening in the event of it being necessary to bail out.

oversteer
19th Aug 2008, 07:36
As an air cadet I had a side window in a Chipmunk shatter during a spell of aerobatics, necessating a rather hasty return to Benson with some very large bits of (perspex/glass?) embedded in the wing!

I was rather thankful the fragments went outward rather than inward.. and I suppose with hindsight, lucky nothing on the wing got damaged..

dope05
19th Aug 2008, 08:09
seem to remember reading in some old manual, that is was ok to open to the first stop, but dont exceed 100KIAS

Sir George Cayley
19th Aug 2008, 19:32
Where's Capt Vince when u need him?

Vince! Oi, a chippy Q here- we need your input; o knowledgeable one:p

Sir George Cayley

effortless
20th Aug 2008, 08:05
I seem to remember one landing canopy-less back in the dark ages. Wasn't is an air ex sortie for a cadet? I wonder what the handling was like.

angels one five
25th Aug 2008, 09:01
My venerable copy of " Flying the D.H. Chipmunk " by H.H. Edwards, published by Pitman & Sons, circa. 1962 advises as follows :

" Ventilation
In hot weather many pilots fly with the cockpit hood partially open which does not affect the flying characteristics for normal flying but the hood must be closed, however, for take-off, landing, and aerobatics."

No mention of any limiting speed.......

angels one five.

BoeingBoy
26th Aug 2008, 16:01
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I would be reluctant to slide the canopy back in flight whilst solo in case it went all the way, I guess it might be better if one has a rear seat occupant to bring it forwards again.