PDA

View Full Version : FAA certificate and 'N'reg aircraft

rafhawk
18th Aug 2008, 00:36
Hi everyone.

I last posted on here about 2 years ago. Now i am 17, i am staying with my uncle in america and pulling in a bit of money. I have an aircraft that i only have to pay the 'gas' for and an instructor that wants time in the aircraft for his log book 'retractable gear V35 Bonanza'. So i only have fuel charges and medicals, ground exams etc to pay for, a very good offer.

My question is, what are the rules regarding keeping an FAA licence current when i go back to the UK ? Do i need checkrides ? do they need to be in 'N' reg aircraft, FAA instructors ? Insurance?

Also, what are the regulations about using an 'N' reg aircraft in the UK ? with things like inspections, annuals, buying and selling?

Thanks in advance

BartV
18th Aug 2008, 08:57
annual inspection and bi-annual check ride

for the rest i propose you first learn for your ground school that will solve a lot of answers, you can start reading :

Airplane Flying Handbook (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/)

these are some very high quality aviation books the faa gives you for free

IO540
18th Aug 2008, 11:24
My question is, what are the rules regarding keeping an FAA licence current when i go back to the UK ? Do i need checkrides ? do they need to be in 'N' reg aircraft, FAA instructors ? Insurance?

Also, what are the regulations about using an 'N' reg aircraft in the UK ? with things like inspections, annuals, buying and selling?

The rules are same as in the uSA - a BFR every two years. For the FAA IR, same rolling currency i.e. 6 approaches in last 6 months.

The BFRs can be done in any registration aircraft - the FARs do not dictate an N-reg. Some FAA CFIs in Europe do insist on an N-reg but many won't. Insurance is arranged in the UK and is not significantly affected by the reg.

There are currently no restrictions on long term parking of an N-reg in the UK, nor in most of Europe. EASA is threatening to do something around 2012 but the proposal is not out yet. They have so far published a (totally barmy) proposal to kill off all foreign license privileges for European resident pilots here (http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/r/doc/NPA/NPA%202008-17b.pdf)(pages 159-161) with no allowance for previous training or qualifications (so e.g. an Australian ATPL wanting a PPL would need to do all exams and the 45 hrs training from scratch).