View Full Version : How secure is the job position of being a pilot going to evolve over the years? pleas

nisbeat
16th Aug 2008, 02:10
We all know petrol prices are rising and companies are struggling
There have been alot of pilots amde redundant and companies have had to merge to keep on working
However even though all this is happening, stupidly flying is my dream and I am prepared to take the steps to get there.
The only problem is I am a high school student finishing off sixth form and i have been told by mum that being a pilot is a job of the past and that to try and get a job now due to the above factors will be extremely hard... what to do?... will it be harder in the future?
please can I get as many replies as possible that either will crush and burn my mums point of view or in fact will warn me of future problems
thank you all soo much
Alex

BYALPHAINDIA
16th Aug 2008, 03:02
It's any ones guess what will happen??

But, Try not to get 'disheartened' with all the 'Doom & Gloom'

Try and stay 'focused' on what you want in life.

We are only here once, So we have to make the most of our life.

If you want to be a pilot, Then go for it as much as you can.

Then if you sadly never make it, Then you can always take 2nd best and at least say to yourself 'well I tried my best'

Always best to have a plan B in life.

If plan A doesn't work, Plan B, Plan C and so on.

I wish you all the very best.:ok:

JCJ
16th Aug 2008, 06:51
Hey Alex,

I am in the same position as you except I have been in the workforce for some years and have an established career, which I am giving up to become a commercial pilot.

The recent woes of the airline industry have only made me more determined to be at the top of my game, and be the stand out trainee of the bunch. If new pilot positions become rare, I want to be there with the top performers!

Believe in yourself mate, and follow your dream.

Good luck with it.

azamat69
16th Aug 2008, 07:18
Hey Alex,

Having been in the industry for almost 20 years, i reckon these days are better than my days in getting jobs in this industry. There are many more oppurtunities to get better jobs than say what i had to go through to get my airline job. Sure there is some uncertainty with oil etc..but its anyones guess as to what the airline industry is going to be like in 5 years or further down field. I think as many others do that there is going to be a period of adjustment where some of the weaker companies will fold and others will join forces and become stronger, so if flying is what you want to do then put your head down and go for it. It wont be easy, dont let anyone tell you otherwise, but i think thats what makes the pilot breed so unique!!

Always remember to focus on what is the end goal that you want to achieve and take the steps necessary to get there, one step at a time. Good luck and i wish you all the best,

bArt2
16th Aug 2008, 07:24
Did you consider starting your flying career in the air force?

You would get a pilot training that you can not get in civil and you will not have to pay for it. Instead you will even get paid.

Then after your 13 year contract (or even sooner if you really want to) you could still go to civil aviation.

Bart

Paolo
16th Aug 2008, 07:43
Go for it, thats what I say!

My mum, as great as she is, said I should get a job in a bank or something in the late 1980's, and look how many jobs have gone in that sector since then!

My dad was supportive, and I embarked on a ppl in '93, and self financed my way through the ratings and secured my first flying job in 1998 on the BAe146. Remember, times were pretty bad when I started out in 1992/1993 and picked up through the 1990's.

I am now a Captain, aged 33, on the Airbus and firmly believe the investment and hard work to get to where I am today has paid off. You only get one shot at life, and if you are going to spend 40 years at work, you had better do something you like!

Yes, times are going to be hard, but people will continue to fly and people always retire, there could be less people entering the market because terms and conditions are not what they were and will go into the city etc to earn their money.

As someone else stated, once you started out instructing, moving on the flying single pilot twins, the turboprops then once you had built up considerable experience moved onto jets. Now I have colleagues who finished flying training in 2003, moved onto the airbus in 2003/04 and have just got commands on the airbus!!! Things change, they always do, but if you really want to fly, then do it!

SNS3Guppy
16th Aug 2008, 07:53
Aviation, and flying in general, has never been a secure field with respect to employment. It never will be.

Hellenic aviator
16th Aug 2008, 07:56
Hmm....quite the conundrum.

Alex,

Mum is seriously looking out for your best interest, and there's no other woman on the planet that can even come close to Mum. Mum's are the BEST :ok:

Now, regarding your question, it's really not easy to give you a black and white answer. Everyone else has given you good advice though.

I remember when I was your age wanting to fly heavy iron internationally, going to the airport to take pics or watch the planes takeoff and land, wondering whether I'd ever make it....

BYALPHAINDIA's advice of having a plan B, C, D or as many as you want is very good. The reality is that the airline industry is such that nothing is certain for sure. To give you an example, legacy carriers in the U.S. such as the mighty Pan Am, TWA, Braniff, Eastern - nobody in their wildest dreams would ever thought that one day they'd be gone. Just as Ansett in Australia - Sir Reginal Ansett is definitely rolling in his grave.

During 9/11 (2001), who would have thought the mighty United Airlines along with every other carrier would be laying off pilots. Having come from a previous US major, if I had stayed where I was, I too would have been "out on the street".

Azamat69 has mentioned an important statement that MANY do not realise because all they see is us wearing our uniforms, our epaulettes, our hats, and we bore holes in the sky.

It wont be easy, dont let anyone tell you otherwise, but i think thats what makes the pilot breed so unique!!

Indeed, a VERY true statement. It is not easy at all. The whole process is challenging on a personal level and just like anything else in life, there is a "game playing" role that you'll need to learn as you progress throughout the career. Part of the process is also abit of luck, in the sense of "being at the right place at the right time".

I've been flying professionally for 24 years and I can count on one hand those that "had it easy" from Day 1, starting as a Student pilot to flying widebodies. It is not an easy career to attain, but certainly, the rewards are worth the road to success.

My thoughts (for what it's worth) are....
If you truly want to become an airline pilot, go for it. Study hard, and stay in the books because that's what your entire career will be - constant study. Your study habits are formed now whilst you are in high school.

As well, DO HAVE A BACKUP PLAN incase (God forbid) something happens such as medically unfit to fly, or Company goes bankrupt. I worked for 2 of those now bankrupt Companies. At least you'll know that you have a means of paying your bills whilst you search for another flying job.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with all your endeavours and future. I hope to hear you someday on the airwaves at FL390 :ok:

S76Heavy
16th Aug 2008, 08:19
I concur with the previous; have a back up plan.
Study something that might be useful to apply to aviation, as well can provide you a stand alone career, before you commit yourself to flying.
Because a pilot is a very highly but narrowly trained professional and applying those skills outside aviation is very difficult.

I sympathise, and I believe that mom has a good point. It is up to you to find your back up plan so you don't feel you're wasting your time but are already becoming a better pilot by doing the preparatory work.

Good luck.

nisbeat
16th Aug 2008, 12:34
thanks all for the effort youve put in to reply to that question.
I now have the question of what would be the best back up plan?
what should i consider studying at university?...I was looking at economics but I thought of doing economics in my phase I had a year ago of wanting to be a big earner in a bank but truly deeply inside me pilot has always been what I've wanted to do.
Does anyone know what degree would be most useful and related to being a pilot in any way?
thanks
alex

pilotbear
16th Aug 2008, 15:09
aircraft engineering or aerodynamics degree, Aviation management or something that could lead you further up the tree in future, or keep you within aviation initially. I would join the forces if I had to start again. I started just before 9/11 and had a really hard time doing all sorts of crap flying jobs for no money etc. I had to work abroad and I was doing three jobs while studying my ATPL's.
However, now I have three type ratings and a nice job. You have to give it your best shot, and sorry but Mums do not know what is best, they think they do but just like to be in control. It is your life, make your own decisions...she wont be in the cockpit with you! (I hope)
:ok:

411A
16th Aug 2008, 16:51
It depends.
In over forty years of professional flying, I have personally not been out of suitable employment...except when I wanted to be.

The reason is quite simple.
I have been prepared to move nearly anywhere in the world for the right Command position.
Children?
Don't have any...far too expensive, and besides, the missus doesn't like 'em either.

IF one is prepared to go where the jobs are, success can usually be found....and, nonsensical ALPA ideas are left firmly behind.
Offshore carriers simply don't want to hear these ideas, and if you bring 'em with you, failure is guaranteed.

Corporate aviation?
Yes, I've done this as well (aviation department manager, overseas) and found the position very rewarding.
Especially when the local area manager insisted we fly seven days a week.
I picked up the telephone and directly called the chairman of the board (to which I directly reported) and he, in turn, called the local area manager and told him just who the boss was...yours truly.
Case closed.