PDA

View Full Version : Zoom Zirlines Purchase???

oldebloke
16th Aug 2008, 00:56
Recent 'talk' as to Zoom airlines changing owners!Any Truth in this matter??
Cheers.
:ok:

richardhead
18th Aug 2008, 19:52
Everything has a price. But where did you here that. Watercooler?

JetDR
20th Aug 2008, 00:20
I really hate to start anything but I did hear a very sick rumour, From a friend of Michel Leblanc that he was looking to buy or slowly blend in and take over an existing carrier, I laughed then cried when I heard this about a year and a half ago I thought there was now way in hell we would see him in aviation again, and I hope what I heard was nonsense....

Willie Everlearn
20th Aug 2008, 14:38
...once upon a time a rumour circulated at Wardair that Canadian Airlines had started paying our salaries. Max's son wrote to employees at Christmas time in 1988 that it was absolutely 'untrue'. :eek:

Michel Leblanc buying Zoom???? :confused:

...worse things have happened. :mad:

R8TED THRUST
20th Aug 2008, 14:55
If Leblanc goes to Zoom I hope they make him sign a bond...

richardhead
20th Aug 2008, 23:05
I thought Mickey White, was going to start some 76 operation out of Quebec city sometime ago, but it never happened. Plus upper management is mostly from C3 so I suspect they know all about Mickey.

JetDR
21st Aug 2008, 22:17
No that was Eddie Peagram and his posse, it was called Maestro,they burned Skyservice for alot of money, I dont think that even got off the ground

JetDR
21st Aug 2008, 22:21
No that was Eddie Peagram and his posse, it was called Maestro,they burned Skyservice for alot of money, I dont think that even got off the ground. Iam quite sure upper management knew Mike when C3 bought Royal............?

er340790
29th Aug 2008, 03:46
CUSTOMER ANNOUCEMENT

Zoom Airlines sincerely regrets to advise its customers that it has suspended operations with effect from 18:00 UTC on Thursday 28 August.

All flights scheduled to depart from have been cancelled and Zoom's aircraft have been grounded.

Both Zoom Airlines Inc and Zoom Airlines Ltd, the Canadian and UK airlines, will be filing for insolvency proceedings in their home countries today.

For customers who have future travel plans involving a Zoom flight for which reservations and payment have been made, you should refer to your credit or debit card company to apply for a refund. We have set out details of other airlines who operate the same or similar routes to those flown with Zoom in the hope that this may assist you in making alternative travel plans to replace the flights that you had booked with Zoom.

If your travel arrangements have been made as part of a holiday package originating in the UK and booked through a holiday company, you may be able to make a claim under the CAA's Air Travel Organiser's Licence scheme. For information on this, please consult the CAA ATOL website at Air Travel Organisers' Licensing | ATOL (http://www.atol.org.uk).

Hugh and John Boyle, the founders of Zoom, said today: "We deeply regret the fact that we have been forced to cease all Zoom operations. It is a tragic day for our passengers and more than 600 staff.

"We are desperately sorry for the inconvenience that this will cause passengers and those who have booked flights.

"We have done everything we can to support the airline and left no stone unturned to secure a re-financing package that would have kept our aircraft flying. Even as late as yesterday we had secured a new investment package but the actions of creditors meant we could not continue flying.

"The collapse of Zoom is a result of matter beyond our control. Only last year Zoom Airlines made profit, but that turned into a loss in the last year due to the unprecedented increase in the price of aviation fuel and the economic climate. The price of oil resulted in our fuel bill jumping by nearly $50 million in one year and we could not recover that from passengers who had already booked their flights.

"We would like to thank the many thousands of passengers who chose to travel with Zoom during the last seven years and efforts of the airline's staff."

We have been advised that British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are graciously offering special fares to assist Zoom customers that have been displaced by the suspension of our services.

rwethereyet
29th Aug 2008, 13:34
My sympathies for the many former colleagues and friends who were there....best of luck to you all.

RWTY:bored:

bcflyer
29th Aug 2008, 21:01
Sad to see another outfit go under. On the bright side, most of the guys and gals can probably find work somewhere in the world. A B-767 endorsement and time on type should make them pretty employable. Good luck to all involved.

doo
31st Aug 2008, 12:17
I am saddened by the loss of Zoom and best wishes to all involved, I also have a question.
Please correct me if wrong, but I thought that Zoom Canada & Zoom UK were run under separate AOC's and as independent airlines being based in two different countries where did the downfall start, and why did it affect both?

HEAVEN AND SKY
31st Aug 2008, 13:17
does anyone know the leasing company which own the zoom aircraft and any contactdetails for them also where they are located.

ESH
31st Aug 2008, 15:56
Aercap owned one 767 the one that was impounded in YYC others by IFLC i belive

J.O.
31st Aug 2008, 16:47
Both leasing companies have already contracted services to move the aircraft to the desired locations, if that's why you're interested. One of them was moved yesterday.

flying brain
31st Aug 2008, 18:06
My thoughts are with those who have lost their jobs. I hope you find new employment soon.

(It is strange that there is NO thread on the main rumours and news page about ZOOM and such a sad event that affects so many PPRuNers......MOD please take note!)

hippotamus
31st Aug 2008, 18:26
There was a thread on thursady , it pretty much got instantly moved to the routes, ailines etc section and got buried in the zoom section there.

remarkablebean
5th Sep 2008, 14:31
Just joined up here so better late than never.

Yes, Doo, Zoom UK and Zoom Canada had separate AOCs, and both went down the tubes filing separately on the same day. Some guys I know who worked at Ottawa HQ turned up at the building after literally popping out, and had their key cards cancelled.

Issue was Aercap in Schiphol who pulled in at least on 767 at YYC I think, and the domino effect started with the prediced results. Their expansion plans also seemed a bit ambitious to me too - growing too fast.

After the chest thumpings of the Boyles (similar to the Oasis stuff) about new funding etc. Boyle admitted the level of debt (some say its $80m) would mean Zoom's stuffed for good.

Boyle spent about $300,000 on his wedding in Bermuda, so he couldn't have been that worried ;)

Good luck to the ex-Z4 crews out there. In the UK I am pretty sure some guys jumped from Astraeus to the blue boeings, over here in Canada, I guess the blue star might be a resume dump (more A310s) and if you like short haul, Porter's recruiting for Q400s - but it's not a 75/76...

remarkablebean
8th Sep 2008, 16:10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7604866.stm

Not unexpected given the aggressive creditors...

Related news: Cardiff Airport seeks new partner following Zoom collapse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7587768.stm

Who's up for filling the gap do we think? If it's GSM let's hope the EPR's working this time :}

luvly jubbly
12th Sep 2008, 16:24
Yep, GSM picked up Cardiff, but flying into YHM instead.

flyglobespan.com | Timetable for Cardiff to Toronto (Hamilton Intl) (http://www.flyglobespan.com/timetables.asp?outdepair=CWL&outarrair=YHM&season=SA9&seasonname=Summer%202009)

LJ

DAWN82
13th Sep 2008, 03:16
Zoom Canada and Zoom UK were separate companies. Zoom Canada were doing just fine before money got invested elsewhere and a sister company was born across the pond. There was a huge market for affordable transatlantic flights from Canada to the UK especially ones that went into smaller UK airports, our passengers really appreciated that. But an airline Can't survive when they owe money all over the place you can't expect to land/ take off and have folk service and cater the aircraft for free. As a crew member that was overseas when things went belly up it was absolutely heartbreaking.

CDNFA
14th Sep 2008, 02:47
GO Travel Keeps Going With Skyservice (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/go-travel-keeps-going-with-skyservice,538934.shtml)

Ottawa Business Journal (http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com/292612987020684.php)

remarkablebean
14th Sep 2008, 18:03
The Boyle's expansion strategy widely believed to be their downfall...and now GSM picking up some of the slack as well as SSV.

Dawn, how'd you get home as were on the east side of the Pond when it all happened ? Some good guys at Z4, hopefully getting seats soon...SWG and TSC perhaps on this side of the Pond.