PDA

View Full Version : Aeroflot pilots arrested at EGCC

Betablockeruk
15th Aug 2008, 11:50
Russian pilots arrested - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1062819_russian_pilots_arrested)

That would have departed over my house :eek:

Romeo India Xray
15th Aug 2008, 12:03
So now how long before British pilots are arrested in UUDD (or similar) on some spurious charge which wouldn't stand water, but good for a diplomatic wind up? I fear for any British crews flying into Russia with Anglo Russian relations the way they are. Even if they can't arrest you, be prepared for some very thorough ramp inspections.

As for the drinking culture, why am I not surprised?!

RIX

luvly jubbly
15th Aug 2008, 12:17
It's not like the MAN security nazis to go smelling the breath of aircrew:rolleyes:

How they must be chuckling that they have a result at last......

icarus sun
15th Aug 2008, 13:46
That is exactly what will happen. Some crew will be tricked with either booze or drugs in russia as payback. All crews should be wary of the smiling bear,sad but probably going to happen.

Basil
15th Aug 2008, 15:23
Manchester Evening News
The legal limit for flying is 20mg of alcohol compared with 35mg for driving
Could be misleading.

Aircraft crew:
(a) in the case of breath, 9 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres,
(b) in the case of blood, 20 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres, and
(c) in the case of urine, 27 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres.

Driver:
(a) in the case of breath, 35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres,
(b) in the case of blood, 80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres, and
(c) in the case of urine, 107 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres.

AMEandPPL
15th Aug 2008, 18:19
Security officers alerted police when they smelled alcohol and claim the pair were struggling to stand up as they waited for their jet

At last, Aviation Security Officers do something of which the majority of the aviation community will thoroughly approve !

A slightly different slant on them to the other thread which is currently running and popular.

G-STAW
16th Aug 2008, 09:07
hello,

that article is a load of bull.....

the aircraft was already on stand, so the pilots met it on stand 81, not in the hangar like stated...

the flight was suppose to depart at about 3am yesterday morning, but both pilots where 3+ times over the limit, subsequently both where taken to altringham police station in seperate cars to be questioned.

They could not speak a word of english, so an interpreter was drafted in to communicate.

finally got the aircraft pushed at 2.15(ish) yesterday, 2 crew, 2 aeroflot reps, one of which looked very tired started to take his anger out on me, as they missed their first slot.

G-STAW

kick the tires
16th Aug 2008, 09:17
G-STAW, some 'BULL' on your part- They could not speak a word of english, so a interpreter was drafted in to communicate

How would they manage with ATC???

G-STAW
16th Aug 2008, 09:28
the dispatcher must be talking rubbish then....

feel free to listen to the ATC transmission....

one of the reps spoke alittle english,

G-STAW

Rainboe
16th Aug 2008, 09:35
Aeroflot often uses translators on the flight deck, or they used to. With the way Russian politics seems to be highly aggressive and extremely macho, I fear for some poor crew who will be sacrificed in a tit for tat. but if they were over the limit, they had to be stopped.

saucy jack
16th Aug 2008, 12:07
Unless I missed something, nothing appears to have been proven against these folks...yet.

Great quote from the security chimp to the Newspaper that something was clearly wrong because they had to hold onto the sides of the crew bus and were swaying. He clearly hasn't ridden many crew buses in his time.

Personally I find you get an easier ride swinging freely from the overhead handles.

AMEandPPL
16th Aug 2008, 12:24
nothing appears to have been proven against these folks well, that's true, but . . . . . The co-pilots were breathalysed at the scene and sources say they were well above the legal limit for flying I suppose it depends on who the "source" is and how much you believe them !

skywreck
16th Aug 2008, 14:36
I guess the facts and motives of this story can be as reliable as
our media's reporting and implying that the Russians were the
aggressors in Georgia. Nuff said.

Artificial Horizon
16th Aug 2008, 15:06
Yes, I would be careful guys and girls. After the last diplomatic spat over a 'certain spy poisoning' we were ramp checked in St Petersburg by an agressive little upstart who couldn't even speak a word of English which was fine but it seemed to frustrate him that we couldn't speak Russian. So the dispatcher translated, he was determined to find something up with out aircraft and checked ever certificate, manual and the AOC. He then went into the cabin and looked at all of the safety equipment including life jackets before returning to the flight deck to check our inbound plogs to make sure we had completed a fuel check. In the end he scribbled on a little note pad and handed it to the dispatcher and left in his big blacked out power car. The dispatcher then informed us that we had been 'fined' for having newspapers on the flight deck floor, we decided to take our fine and get the hell out of there before he returned to fine us for having to much fuel in the tanks. This was obviously a politically motivated check as our airline was ramp checked in numerous Russian cities that week and threatened with aircraft impoundment. Wouldn't suprise me if an English crew are found drunk in the CIS someday very soon.:eek:

BYALPHAINDIA
17th Aug 2008, 22:26
Can remember many moons ago, An old timer of an Instructor being stopped by the police.

When asked for another breath sample at the station he said something like:

'Oh give me that Bloody pipe thing, And Ill open up my 70 yr old lungs for you!!

He ended up shaking hold of the pipe as thou it was a control column.

And also said 'We used to fly spits with a flask of whisky on us'
And that never killed us.

You don't know your born 'constable'

Not that the police were interested.:hmm:

He was quite an eccentric.:D

WHBM
17th Aug 2008, 22:39
Aeroflot often uses translators on the flight deck, or they used to.You don't get any Aeroflot 767 crew who are not able to handle English. This fleet spends half its time in English-speaking airspace. And huge numbers of Russians are now educated in English.

And I also doubt anyone here would like to be in the crew's shoes when they get back to Moscow. Don't think everyone in authority in Russia laughs at drinking.

But in the USSR they just jump in .....The USSR was wound up years ago.

I guess the facts and motives of this story can be as reliable as
our media's reporting and implying that the Russians were the
aggressors in Georgia.Actually the BBC have been quite accurate in this. More than can be said for George Bush's or David Cameron's understanding of the situation. I think the Russians in South Ossetia were pretty glad to have Putin around when they were attacked. More than our leaders would probably do to protect us.

Nov71
18th Aug 2008, 00:47
May I suggest (subject to expert legal opinion)that if a foreign national's first language is not English, the UK Police are likely to cover themselves by providing an interpreter to avoid confusion and jeopardise the interview/case. The Russian Embassy may require an accredited translator to be present.
A journo may abbreviate this explanation to 'the suspect could not speak English'
We have all heard ATC traffic (Universal language - English) with foreign pilots or tried to communicate with our local bank via a call centre in India!

Kick the tires(location UK)are you English UK or English US? It may be critical when checking fuel load in gallons.
Your immediate readback of G-STAWs post was inaccurate '..so a(n) interpreter..' but I bough to your communication skills.

grumpyoldgeek
18th Aug 2008, 05:03
I can't help but think that a quiet call to the Russian embassy, asking them to bring a van around and pick up the pilots, wouldn't have been a better solution than making it an international affair.

AMEandPPL
18th Aug 2008, 05:33
but I bough to your communication skills

and I will BOW to yours, especially after noting your pedantry :ugh:

Atlanta-Driver
18th Aug 2008, 12:05
I'd be very cautious when flying in Russia. They have a different set of rules and regs there and if these are more stringent than those of JAA, you must follow them. A classic catch is Airport operating minima. If you are on an approach past the marker and you are told that the airport is below minima you are not allowed to continue even if your minima was lower than the Russian one. Many a crew been in trouble for this.

As for the political motivation for ramp checks in Russia, no doubt that this happens. "Putler's" Russia has taken huge steps towards the good old USSR and trust me Soviet Union is live and kicking, just caller Russia these days.

swish266
18th Aug 2008, 13:36
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said it wanted to fine the company a total of $7.1m (£3.8m).

It said two MD-83 passenger jets were used on dozens of flights in 2007, even though repair work reported as necessary by pilots had not been done.

Problems with drug and alcohol testing were also found, officials said.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US airline 'broke safety rules' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7562165.stm)

I guess quite a few more westerners are caught drinking as has been reported on pprune forums.

As to the "rag" quote, IMHO the British press should stop stirring trouble - it does not benefit the relationship between the two countries.

Britain has eaten the humble pie at the hands of Russia so many times since the Crimean War 150 years ago...

g109
18th Aug 2008, 23:05
there is one thing security is really good at: that is to report and get those stupid pilots arrested.

well done security!!
any pilot who is stupid enough to drink a couple of hours before the flight: their own fault!!!

I hope these 2 idiots never get their licence back

so long

kick the tires
19th Aug 2008, 07:03
NOV71: Kick the tires(location UK)are you English UK or English US? It may be critical when checking fuel load in gallons.
Your immediate readback of G-STAWs post was inaccurate '..so a(n) interpreter..' but I bough to your communication skills.

My dear chap, this was a quotation from G-STAW's earlier post.

Oh, I have NEVER ordered fuel in gallons, nor LITRES!! ;)

recceguy
23rd Aug 2008, 15:59
With the way Russian politics seems to be highly aggressive and extremely macho

such a comment nobody would ever consider making about a certain north american country, of course....

flash8
23rd Aug 2008, 18:51
How many of you have lived in Russia, speak Russian?

I thought not. I'd strongly advise qualifying in the above before making sweeping generalizations.

The crew is innocent until proven guilty.

However lets expect to read through another few pages of misinformed or speculative garbage.

WHBM
23rd Aug 2008, 20:13
How many of you have lived in Russia, speak Russian?
Me.

Next question.