PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning HDD

Bendo
29th Nov 2000, 16:33
Any of you Gurus out there....

I have been (un)reliably informed that by "splitting" your HDD into two "Halves" - ine contaning Programs, the other containing misc files - you can speed up your computer.

Is this true?

And if yes, HOW do you do it???

matelot
29th Nov 2000, 17:07
There are two ways to partition a hard disk:
a. using the DOS FDISK programme (treat the disk as new and start from scratch). BUT, you need to know how to use it;

b. use a proprietary disk partitioning programme such as Partition-Magic, which you can use AFTER progs have been installed.

The disk will be partitioned concentrically, with the outside sector being your C: drive (assuming you are only talking about one disk); subsequent partitions will be allocated D:, E: etc depending how many you choose.

Your CD ROM will bring up the rear with F: for example.

Install Windows on C: as normal, and use the other 'drives' as backups and for storage of personal data. If ever you lose your OS, you just need to reinstall on C:, and you don't lose EVERYTHING.

Although it's only one disk, the OS sees it as many separate disks, hence the advantage.

This is just the bare bones of it. It you want more (I'm nipping out), just ask!

Cheers :)

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

Feeton Terrafirma
30th Nov 2000, 16:39
In answer to your question Bendo, yes, MAYBE, under some circumstances.

The effective performance improvement would be between 0 and 1% dependant on a number of factors.

Bottom line is why bother?

------------------
Once I was VERY good, now I'm very good, once!

DreamCatcher
30th Nov 2000, 18:21
If you have a large HDD (say anything over 6GB), partition it. It's worth it.

------------------
'I'll take control...'
'You have control.'
'Well give me it then!!'

spannersatcx
1st Dec 2000, 01:00
Bendo, what you hear is partially correct. It is believed that if you partition a hard drive in to 2 and only use the 2nd partition for the windows swap file then you can get some increase in performance how much I don't know. I partition my hard drives for convenience so I know where certain things are for instance all things to do with flight are on my F partition. I currently have 3 hard drives divided in 6 partitions, until tomorrow as a new one is arriving, 30gb primarily for video editing.

matelot
1st Dec 2000, 12:13
Bendo, your swap file wants to be on the fastest partition - that's the outside partition i.e C:, OR your fastest drive, whichever is faster. If you install a bigger, faster HDD, put your Windows swap file on that. And don't let Windows manage the swap file: set it yourself to approx. installed RAM x 2. Go to Control Panel - System - Performance - Virtual Memory. You could also set the typical role of your machine to Network Server (in the same area.) It's always been advocated wherever I've read about tweaks.

Come back if you want more.

Cheers :)

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

Bendo
3rd Dec 2000, 04:32
Beautiful - thanks fellas :)