PDA

View Full Version : SEP class rating for ATPL

Taxi2parking
11th Aug 2008, 15:45
I wonder if anyone can help with the following question. I'm an ex-military guy with about 1500 hours instructing on single piston ac. Having left the mob I now fly on an ATPL on multi-crew jet ac. I gained the ATPL using a number of dispensations so never went through the traditional ATPL route of SEP, MEP etc. If I want to get a SEP class rating on my licence would I have to do a full course starting from square one (or E of C 1 I guess)? LASORS would seem to suggest I do.:confused:

Whopity
11th Aug 2008, 17:27
You pass an LST on a SEP aeroplane and have it added to your ATPL. About an hour if you are current. Very simple.

Taxi2parking
12th Aug 2008, 06:56
'very simple'.....mind you you've never seen flying like mine!;)

Cheers thanks for that.

scherzo
12th Aug 2008, 10:51
Start the flare at 50 feet...that usually makes an impression on the examiner! :D

Taxi2parking
12th Aug 2008, 11:59
Ahhhh would that be you making assumptions about the type/size of aircraft I currently fly and when I usually need to flare scherzo......

3 Point
21st Aug 2008, 18:21
Take a look in LASORS section C1.5; you will see that, if you are in "current flying practice" on military SEP aeroplanes you should be able to avoid the skill test and just send in your paperwork and the fee. This section refers of course to initial issue of a PPL but I have used it successfully to justify adding an SEP rating to an existing CPL.

Also consider whether you will ever want to be a civilian instructor. If you are still current as a military QFI on SEP aeroplanes you can get a JAR FI(A) rating on your licence for some paperwork and of course the fee! Look in LASORS section H1.8

Happy landings

3 point