PDA

View Full Version : info needed on fuel units for iPhone App developement...

crjo
11th Aug 2008, 05:52
Hello all,

I am presently writting a small iPhone App to quiclky compute the quantity of Liters/USgallons needed to refuel our jets, taking into account remaining fuel, apu useage and of course, fuel density...

We in Europe (I think pretty much all over Europe) use the Tons to decide our fuel...

What do americans use ? pounds ?

Thanks for the info....

galaxy flyer
11th Aug 2008, 06:40
Pounds is exactly right!

411A
11th Aug 2008, 10:57
Of course, for those of us who operate in both areas, pounds/kilos...whatever floats your boat.
Kilos are preferred for large aircraft, from my perspective.

Doug the Head
14th Aug 2008, 08:14
Crjo, here's (http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2008/03/26/converter-022b/) a good converter application for the iPhone. I use it all the time and it works great!

EnzoC
14th Aug 2008, 15:09
Hello CRJO,

when converting the units make sure to use the international pounds definition, which is pounds = kilograms x 2.2046.

Depending on the sources you use and the stuff you're weighing you might find different conversion factors.

Check Pound (mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)) for details - it's amazing.

crjo
19th Aug 2008, 11:44
Ok, thank you for the feedback !

So, to summerize:
In Europe :
Fuel input : kg
Quantity to pump : Liters
Density in kg/liters

US :
Fuel input : Lbs
Quantity to pump : USG
Density : lbs/Usg

How about the uk ? Anyone ?

Thanks

t6 sparky
19th Aug 2008, 11:57
Isn't the UK in Europe?

crjo
20th Aug 2008, 12:49
Yes indeed it is, is it not ?

But they do everything differently over there ! ! ;)

They drive on the other/wrong side of the road, they don't use the Euro (lucky them...!), they ignore the metric system and... they have a funny accent ! !
:)

Cheers Lads !

kijangnim
20th Aug 2008, 13:13
Greetings,
If you look at the Fuel supplier side then they sell in Volume, i.e., Liters, or GAL (US, or IMPERIAL) :}
Now if you look at the user side, Fuel consumption is in Weight, i.e., KGs , or LBS pounds,:ok:

crjo
26th Aug 2008, 06:45
OK, it's almost finished !

One last thing :
We use 0.8 kg/L as average density in europe, what do people in the Lbs/USG parts of the world use ?
On the web, I found many refs to 6.676 Lbs/USG...

Thanks

smallfry
26th Aug 2008, 07:21
just to be difficult... we fly world wide, upload in litres or US gallons, and have pounds on the guages! The trickiest thing (for my little brain) is estimating the USG required - Litres I can guess, but gallons? I have to get my little table out to work it out!
:}

crjo
27th Aug 2008, 08:41
Well, I sent it out to Apple today, (with 6.767 as default density in the lb/USg unit...).
The review process is at least 7 days, so I'm hoping it will be available to you all in about a week...

look for "Jet Fueling" in the AppStore...

And, smallfry, I think it will help your "little brain" !

regards