PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Update

Eric T Cartman
22nd Dec 2001, 12:48
When I go to the Update page & click on "Scan For Updates" , the next screen sticks on 0% & shows a warning of a page fault then a page error - so no updates !
the page is <a href="http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp" target="_blank">http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp</a>
I know there is a security problem with XP just now so I'm wondering if the stuff is currently being updated.
Anyone else having this problem please, or has my setup gone wonky ?

FL310
22nd Dec 2001, 14:15
sorry, cannot help because the site tells me that the latest update is only available for pcs equipped with XP....and I turned my back to Bill Gates some time ago...because of this annoying updating etc...

DB6
22nd Dec 2001, 15:05
Is it right that XP has a feature that only lets you install it on one computer (activation or something)? and if so, and I get fed up and format my hard disc, which I do fairly often, does that count as a second installation?

I suspect the day of the Mac draws steadily nearer.

bblank
22nd Dec 2001, 19:41
Eric, if you want a link to the patch that was put out two days ago, then see the thread called Win98 ME XP Critical Security Patch. I posted the initial message of that thread shortly after Microsoft issued the bulletin. I copied from that bulletin verbatim. Within hours the URL supplied by Microsoft was not functional. What a way to run a company. The second message in the thread has the new URL. It is still working - but act fast!

The security gap is astounding. Any attacker can take over your machine and do anything with it that a computer is capable of doing. (You know, send viruses, send threatening messages to world leaders - all tracable to you.)

Like FL310 I can't help you with XP problems. People don't want XP. They want Win9X fixes and licenses to run it on new machines. But Bill doesn't sell any of those.

DB6, not sure about the Mac but suspect linux will be the solution to the Microsoft problem.

FL310
22nd Dec 2001, 21:32
yes Brian...well spotted....Linux is the answer!
All the handling is easy, and beside some free versions, I bought one for about £55 which comes with 7 CDs and one DVD, all the manuals, stunning fast and until now (2 months) 24/7 switched on and not crashed once.....
Installing the hardware is not always plug and play but, easier as compared to windows, I got all up and running.

Eric T Cartman
23rd Dec 2001, 00:19
Thanks for the gen Brian.
I downloaded the patch but it's only for Build 2600 which mine isn't - Microsoft tech support is great - NOT

shack
23rd Dec 2001, 14:15
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not having any problem with the XP update site...it's just the size of the bloody things!"!

TwinAisle
23rd Dec 2001, 19:01
A few thoughts...
1. The Activation function is used to stop the software being used on a number of machines. It records the serial numbers of your kit's components, and sends these off to MS; you can then change a few (3?) things before you have to have a chat with MS, which would be a formality. If you have to reinstall your copy on the same machine, this does NOT count as a new activation, although you will have to reactivate.... if you see what I mean!
2. In defence of XP - I find it stable, faster than 9x, and, now that the drivers are coming through, very easy to configure.
3. As for the security thing, yes, MS should have got it right first time, but the patch (on my PC anyway) downloaded silently in the background, and on next reboot, was done.
4. Linux is fine to a point - if you can get all your drivers (which can be a pain). Also, I'm a believer in that the only reason Linux seems more secure is that the virus writers haven't got round to it yet - there is more fun to be had with 9x because of the volume of users. When you get many millions of Linux folks out there, watch out.
5. The Windows Upgrade site did seem to have a few teething probs, but now seems OK....
TA