PDA

View Full Version : PPL ground school results

Speed bird 002
8th Aug 2008, 16:30
I wanted to know the average results people are getting for their PPL ground school. If you can remember what you got in each exam, then post it here.

Thanks. :ok:

Mad Girl
8th Aug 2008, 19:41
Why?..........

wsmempson
8th Aug 2008, 19:46
anything over the 75% pass mark is wasted effort....:}

Speed bird 002
8th Aug 2008, 19:59
Why?.....fair question, although if anyone asks me somthing wihich isn't stupid I usually answer it.

I would like to know because I would like to aim better than average results.

I hope that answers the question.:ok:

Whirlygig
8th Aug 2008, 20:26
Then aim for higher results especially if you want to go commercial! :ok:

OK, here goes Air Law 98, HPL 96, Nav 88, Met 92, Comms 96, Aircraft systems 80, Flight planning/Ops 76, as far as I can remember!

Cheers

Whirls

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Aug 2008, 20:27
You should aim at 100%, except that if you get a stupid question wrong that doesn't count.

So, in Air Law, if you can't remember the date some piece of international legislation was passed, who cares. It doesn't make any difference to your chances of a mid-air through not knowing the rules; but you should go for 100% on questions about right of way etc.

Or if you can't remember whether you're allowed to go flying with 2km visibility or 1.5km, who cares. In real life if it's less than 5km you aren't going to take off anyway, so the answer is irrelevant.

Similarly, in Met, if you can't remember the details of the theory of how a thunderstorm works, that doesn't count either. If it's a thunderstorm you won't be flying, so again who cares.

Speed bird 002
8th Aug 2008, 20:34
Cheers for that guys and gals. I have my air law exam tomorrow and im using the oxford question bank cd and also the confuser. I seem to get 93% in every practice exam i take :confused: quite wierd. The only ones I tend to struggle on are the stupid legislation crap.

I'd love to see how learning the boring part of chicago convention will help the operations of a airline pilot :ugh:

Mariner9
9th Aug 2008, 07:39
I'd love to see how learning the boring part of chicago convention will help the operations of a airline pilot

It might seem irrelevant nonsense, but professional exams in almost any sphere require theoretical knowledge beyond day-to-day job requirements.

While the PPL may not be a professional exam, private flying still needs to be approached in a profesional manner in my view.

RTN11
9th Aug 2008, 12:03
to be honest, knowing the chicago convention in 1944/5 set up icao, and the principles of international flight we still hold today, is an easy few marks in a law exam. It's knowing the different classes of airspace, and clearences from cloud for VFR which actually need to be studied at length.

To say any more than 75% is a wasted effort is rubbish. To coast through life, just scraping through is awful, and you should always strive for the best.

I think my PPL were results were around the following:
Law: 85%
HPL: 100%
Aircraft Tech: 90%
Performance/Balance: 95%
comms: 100%
navigation: 100%
Met: 75%

it was 3 years ago, so may be off by 5% here or there

I'm happy with these reusults, and now these have formed the basis of the ATPLs which I am now studying. I dont think that more than 75% is a waste on ATPL exams, so will study my :mad: off

TicketyBlue
9th Aug 2008, 12:04
private flying still needs to be approached in a profesional manner in my view
I couldn't agree more.

Speed bird 002
9th Aug 2008, 16:07
I passed air law today with 88%. Very annoyed with myself as my target was 95%-100% :(. 35 out of 40 looks good in words but a target is a target.

Next exam is met and I'll have to just study harder and get those high results.

SB

WALSue
9th Aug 2008, 19:32
Good luck with those exams!
So far I've got an average of 100% :ok:

though I have only sat one exam.....